What's new
World Wide Stereo

May Austin HTF Meet. (1 Viewer)

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
Well, let's call it an election ended. HT Tour is the topic, with logistics to be planned soon. Without revealing addresses on the forum, select an order of HT visits. My time will be limited - 86-year old aunt and my sisters will be in town and I'll have to leave by 6:00 for the RR Express ball game, but I'm looking forward to seeing the new HT's. No more fraidy-cats - I think we all agree we're friends. Hey, I have the crummiest HT setup for video (low-end 4:3 RPTV) and I have not optimized my audio listening space, but I'm not too ashmed to host.

Scott, during the meet, we can discuss planning an acoustic treatment DIY session at my place in the future. What would be really cool is for Dr. T and his virtual associate Scott, to measure someone's HT, make recommendations, and then we could build the treatments in my garage. A real-life measure/build/cure project. I'd bet that over time, we could do everyone's HT with real appreciation and success stories to enjoy. I'm seriously considering buying the software, mic and preamp to learn (with help) to do room measuerments, so the burden wouldn't fall on Dr. T and Scott perpetually.

On with the show! :D

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Rajiv Arora

Agent
Hello again,

Sorry I've been unable to attend the last few meets, but I love the idea of the "parade of HTs." As long as it's not May 10th, I should be able to attend. I'll throw my hat into the ring and offer to add my HT to the parade - I'm in Great Hills.

My HT is rather small (12' x15') and can only seat 4 comfortably. That, as well as li'l kids, spouse factor, etc have made me hesitant to offer to host a meet. But the parade format is perfect!

Like most of you, my HT is a labor of love, combined with some moolah, and I'd be interested in any suggestions for improvement. One area that I haven't tackled at all is taming room modes.

Equipment is B&K pre/pro (which some of you've already met), Sony 10HT projector, B&W speakers, along with sources (DVD, VCR, HD STB, and an HTPC that I use for OTA HD recording using the MyHD card).

-Rajiv

If people don't mind the drive (I live out towards Bastrop), I would be happy to add my house to the list. The benefit is that it could be during the day since I have total light control over the room. Basic attributes: entire house is DIY (wife and I built it ourselves), 14'x19'x10' dedicated HT room, Zenith Pro 7" CRT projector, DIY Helmholtz resonators, high-end audio system (not DIY)

Definitely not "AV Interior" quality, but may give some people some ideas (for me, sonics are far more important than aesthetics).

Julian

Scott Oliver

Screenwriter
Hank that sounds good about talking about getting DIY bldg. session scheduled during the Parade. I am wanting to build with other folks one because I have no equipment, but two it seems that a lot of the materials like to be sold in larger amounts. For example I went to the place near me that you guys suggested ordering some of that fiber glass from. I ordered two sheets one day for a hefty sum of like $4, and they never called me back to pick it up. I felt bad to call them up and bother them about such a small order when every other order they seemed to be doing was hundereds or thousands of sheets.

Colin Dunn

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Colin Dunn
With so many people unable to do a meet on May 10, I am going to reiterate my suggestion that we move the meet to May 17 or 31. Which date works best for everyone?

I vote for May 17...

Tommy Z

Auditioning
Hi folks!

Are new guys welcome?

I'm certain I don't have the advanced knowledge ya'll possess. I'm trying to learn some things for creating my new HT room.

My biggest obstacle has been getting a demo of front projectors. Seems no local sellers have "low end" stuff. The L300U and X1 are high on my list. Do any of you Austin-area folks have one?

Thanks,
Tom

Jeff Meininger

Second Unit
New guys are welcome! Heck... I'm still a new guy myself. :)

How "off the deep end" can you go with your dedicated room? Can you paint the walls with a dark shade of "flat" paint (or cover them in velvet)? Can you put up acoustic treatments? What about giant bass traps? How 'bout a fixed screen?

I have an L300U and would be happy to demo it for you. My weekend is pretty full, though. Sunday night might work, or some evening this coming week. I'll let you know.

Tommy Z

Auditioning
Hey Jeff:

Cool....I'd appreciate that opportunity to see your L300.

I already have spousal approval for painting the room dark blue or dark red, and the fixed screen is definitely in the plan. I was thinking movie posters for decoration, so acoustic treatments are viable also. There is only one window in the room, so light control is not an issue.

The house is still in construction, so I'm trying to plan this out so I can get busy when I move in. I didn't realize there would be so much to consider. The only thing I wish I would have had the forethought for was some sound deadening in the walls and floor. Oh well........

Just let me know when you're available. Thanks!

mike_frontier

Supporting Actor
Guys,
I had an idea.. tell me what you think :)

I was thinking about running my center channel speaker above my screen (as in the picture here).

Right now my center channel in below my 32" tv which is shown in the same picture. Do you think I should run the center channel above the screen and face it at an angle downwards?
I am thinking it will open up the center more as for is tune.

What'cha guys think?

Jonathan DA

Screenwriter
Mike, try it and find out! The general rule of thumb is to keep all three front speakers as close the same height as possible. So, if the height of your L/R speakers is, say, 39" (floor to center of top-most driver), and the height of mounting below the screen is 20", whereas above the screen is 84", then usually you'd want to place the speaker below the screen (19" difference between levels vs. 45" for above the screen). This is however, no more than a general rule, as room acoustics can have just as much, if not more, of an effect than the physical height. It were me, I'd move the TV and put the speaker directly under the screen.

Another thing to consider is line of sight, er, sound. If you have a second row of seating, and placing the speaker below the screen causes an obstruction (i.e. person) to be between the speaker and the second row, then the better compromise might be above the screen.

mike_frontier

Supporting Actor
Jonathan,
Thanks for the input. Actually my towers (front left and right speakers) are below the screen on the left and right of it (the screen). I just feel that the center is a little lower and sometimes can be hard to hear at times.
I perfer not to toss my 32" TV since I do not want to watch my PJ everyday. Having the 32"TV there and only have 1 living room this is the only solution I have to work with. I think its cool like this b/c since I have like DirectTV I can watch it on either PJ or 32" Tv just a switch on my A/V amp S-video connector.

Nils--- Maybe its time for and center channel upgrade :D ??

I will try it out. What I might just do is put the center on top of my 32" TV (like it used to be before I got a PJ setup). If I do it this way,, I will just have to do a little bit more lens shift on my PJ... and then keystone adjustments a pain the the you know what also. But anyways I think if I remember correctly it sounds better that way on top of my TV.
Thanks!

Jonathan DA

Screenwriter
Mike, do you normally watch movies by yourself? If so, and your speakers have decent imaging, you can get by without any center channel at all. Just set your Center speaker setting to Phantom, and voila, problem solved.

Of course, if you want new speakers, I can certainly help with that too.

Nils Luehrmann

Senior HTF Member
I'd first get an SPL and run a test tone through every channel. You may find that the problem is simply that your center isn't matched or is not getting as much volume as the left and rights.

However even if they do turn out to be matched, the other thing to consider is that there is no standard for level matching each of the channels of a film's soundtrack.

Some DVDs have the center louder than the L&R, others are the opposite. If in general you feel the center seems more subdued or is getting overwhelmed by the L&R, you can always increase the dB of your center, or decrease the dB of the L&R.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Areles
Recent bookmarks