What's new

Maggie update (1 Viewer)

Alan Pummill

Screenwriter
Howdy Deano, and welcome PEH.
PEH, sounds like you have my old system!!
Dean, as you know, I had a 5.1 HT consisting of 1.6 fronts, CC3 center, and MC1 rears. I had two subs at that time that I swapped in and out (Paradigm PW-2200 and SVS PC-Ultra). The PW-2200 sounded best with that system for music, but the SVS was better for movies. In the new house I have two systems, my 6.1 HT consisting of Pioneer Elite electronics and RPTV, B&W 600 series speakers, and the SVS.
Now my two channel system consist of 3.6's and a ML Depth sub. The Depth blends very, very well with both my current 3.6's and my former 1.6's.
HTFer's Maggie w/ ML sub system

Dean_M

Second Unit
Howdy Alan. My experience with the SVS subwoofer matches yours. It was great with movies, but I found that I didn't like it so much for music. My IB is excellent for both, although I realize that an IB isn't for everyone.

Now that Ethan has helped me out with room treatments, my IB, speakers, and the room itself sound better than they ever have.

PhilCo

Stunt Coordinator
Moving up to the 20.1 so my one year old 3.6r, black and rosewood, are for sale if anyone would be interested.

Dean_M

Second Unit
Parker Clack said:
Dean:
What made you go with the Integra vs. a Denon like the 4308i? Just curious.
I already have outboard amps and the Maggies are a 4 Ohm load, so I'm not all that interested in a receiver. Also, the Integra DTC-9.8 offers the best bang for the buck, IMO. I can't believe how good the thing sounds. Judging from what I've read on the forums, there are a lot of folks with high end pre/pros jumping ship for the Integra.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Dean:

Interesting. The people I know that have the Denon like it as well if not better soundwise and just use the receiver as a pre-pro. I too have an outboard power amp to use.

Thanks for the feedback.

Parker

Dean_M

Second Unit
Here's a Maggie update that I thought I would pass along. Last week I sent my CC3 center speaker, which I've owned for about three years now, in to Magnepan to have the fabric redone to match my 3.6s. Over the weekend I got a call from Magnepan telling me that when they removed the fabric they found a manufacturing defect in the speaker, so they are shipping me a brand new CC3 to replace it and at no cost to me.
I've never noticed any kind of a problem with the speaker in all the time that I've owned it, so Magnepan could have simply redone the fabric and shipped the speaker back and I would've been happy and totally unaware of any defect.
With this kind of honesty and customer service, it's no wonder Magnepan has such a loyal following.
Now, if I could just talk the wife into letting me get a pair of 20.1s, I'd be an even happier man. :LOL:

Dean_M

Second Unit
Alan Pummill said:
You'd better not get 20.1s before me Deano!!!
It'll be a while before the 20.1s. The first thing on my list, if/when it becomes available, is Magnepan's true ribbon center speaker.

Alan Pummill

Screenwriter
System update: Just added a Bel Canto DAC3 DA converter to my 2 channel 3.6 maggie system. I remove my preamp and have it hooked directly to my amp. OMG!! My system just jumped up at least two levels!!!!

audiojan

Auditioning
Real Name
Jan Andersson
Hello everyone. Been using Maggie's for quite a few years, but moving so I have to combine my HT and my stereo... Here's what I'm doing:

Maggie 1.6QR (main), will buy a CC3 (center), have two pairs of MC1's (side and rear). Sub is a DefTech PowerField 18, which of course sees HT duty only, no sub for music. The pre/pro is a Krell HTS 7.1 driving a Krell KAV-250a for the fronts and a H/K Signature 2.1 for the other 5 channels. Cabling is Cardas 300B interconnects with Cardas Cross for the front and Cardas Crosslink for the rest. Video is an older Panny AE300. DVD will be a Oppo until I upgrade the video to full HD (probably Panny 2000).

Audio has always been the first priority, but I really think it'll sound pretty good for HT as well...

Alan Pummill

Screenwriter
Audiojan

Welcome to the small group here at HTF that are maggie fans!! Sounds like you have a great system. If you go back about 3 1/2 years on this thread, you will see me talking about my all maggie 5.1 HT. (1.6 fronts, CC3 center, & MC1 surrrounds)

When we moved several years ago, I now have a 2 channel maggie music system and a seperate 6.1 HT with B&W, SVS, Pioneer Elite stuff!!

Again....welcome!!

AlanZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
AJ
Audiojan: Maggies for HT is quite an awesome experience! Talk about bringing a movie to life!
P: Congrats on the Bel Canto DAC! I'm in the market for an outboard DAC myself, and that is one I have on my short list. Also considering the Monarchy Audio nm24 and the Van Alstine Ultra. I just rolled tubes on my Mapletree preamp though, so I definitely plan to keep it in my system.
Dean: That is awesome about Magnepan's honesty...shows a great deal of integrity on their part!

Alan Pummill

Screenwriter
Z,

I just put my preamp back in my system and I think I like it better than just the DAC3 to amp connection. BTW, I have bought a real nice used Conrad Johnson PV-12A tube preamp from a friend at work. It has a phone section, so now I am thinking vinyl!! That CJ is one fine sounding preamp. I am selling my Marsh P2000t hybrid preamp if you know of anyone interested.

Nice to hear from you again!!

AlanZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
AJ
P: Vinyl and Maggies? I'd love to hear that! It's going to sound awesome :D BTW, nice C-J preamp! I'm still learning about tubes, but so far I'm having a lot of fun. I'm a sucker for really good vocalists, and I like the added richness and warmth that tubes can bring out in the recording...good times!

AlanZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
AJ
Hey guys...Just thought I'd post a couple of pics of my system...I'm still in love with Maggie, I'm just having an affair with monkeys for the time being :D
Room
Rack
Hope all is well with you guys! :D

mylan

Screenwriter
Thats a nice room ya got there but an even nicer rack:laugh: , seriously, where have you been keeping yourself?

AlanZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
AJ
Hello, my friend! I was actually going to send you a PM the other day when I got my DAC, cause I wanted to tell you I was finally finished messing around with my gear and see if you wanted to stop over for a listen sometime. I'm pretty happy with how things are sounding, but it's always nice to get a second opinion :)
How's things on your end? Did you ever pull the trigger on a subwoofer?

Alan Pummill

Screenwriter
NEWS FLASH!! I just picked up a used pair of Martin Logan Ascent speakers from a local Audiogoner. Still have the 3.6 maggies, but got such a good deal that I couldn't pass these up. A different sound than maggies, better in some ways, not as good in others. Just another new toy!! Ill post some picks soon!!

AlanZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
AJ
After about a week, you'll go back to the Maggies, P :D
Maybe you'll feel differently, but I'd be surprised if you like them better than the 3.6s.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks