What's new

Maggie update (1 Viewer)

Dean_M

Second Unit
Yes, I've had the UcD400 amps for quite some time. I've put them up against some of the big boys (Ayre, McIntosh, and a few others) and I'll stick with what I have.
I don't know all that much about the new hi-res audio formats yet, but I think you're correct. The new formats are output via HDMI only. I know that my 95FD only outputs DTS MA via bitstream.

Dean_M

Second Unit
Supposedly by the end of January. I've been waiting since Oct., but I know of folks who've been waiting since July. Integra hasn't done too well keeping up with demand.

AlanZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
AJ
Dean_M said:
Supposedly by the end of January. I've been waiting since Oct., but I know of folks who've been waiting since July. Integra hasn't done too well keeping up with demand.
That doesn't surprise me, cause it seems like everyone and their mothers have ordered one! lol I still have my trusty Outlaw 950 pre/pro that I'm using for HT. If I go with a stereo preamp with HT bypass, I'll probably just upgrade my pre/pro for HT use. I think Outlaw has plans for an HDMI unit sometime in 2008, but I may need upgrade before that.
Did you ever write that biology textbook?? :D
Any idea what 'M' is up to?

Dean_M

Second Unit
Yes, I got the book finished quite some time ago and I'm using it in my classes, now that I've gone back to work full time.
I haven't seen or heard much from anyone, but I don't get to spend all that much time online anymore.

Alan M

Second Unit
"Any idea what 'M' is up to?"
"M" who,and where did he disappear to ? :)
Parker,reports on that vinyl to digital player have not been stellar to date.When testing was done comparing the original,the differences were pronounced.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Alan:

Thanks. I just saw that online and thought it looked interesting. After I posted that I started to do a little research and read the same thing that they aren't that great.

Happy New Year to everyone.

Dean_M

Second Unit
Alan Pummill said:
Dean,
Get you a set of the Cardas maggie jumpers and get those crossover boxes off of the back of your maggies. My wife bought me a set for Christamas and the improvement in detail, dynamics and soundstage is fantastic. I highly recommend them!!
Dedicated Audio - Cardas Magneplaner Cross-over Jumper Kit
Thanks. I've been thinking about making my own jumpers if I can find some pins that will fit. I've also been pondering making some custom crossover boxes to match the cherry trim on the speakers and maybe upgrading the crossover components while I'm at it. But the next project on my list is to upgrade my UCD amp modules, although the wife doesn't know it yet. :D

Ken Situ

Stunt Coordinator
Hello Alan P:

I noticed you have some fancy inter-connect cables and speaker cables. Have you ever measured the resistance and impedance of these cables? I am very much interested in the measurements of these fancy cables.

Dean_M

Second Unit
Well, I got lucky and found an Integra DTC 9.8 at a local dealer. I've only had it home for a couple of hours, but so far I'm very impressed. It blows the doors off my old Outlaw Audio 990, which has served me well over the past few years.

PEH

Auditioning
Real Name
Paul
Hello all. I am new to this forum but not new to Maggies. Over the years I have had several but have only recently started using them for my HT. As part of an upcoming upgrade to an Integra DTC 9.8 ( still on order ) and also possibly a new sub I downloaded revised instructions for the CC3 which has given rise to some questions.

My system consists of the following: 1.6 front L/R, CC3 Center and MC1 for Surrounds. The amp is an Outlaw 7100 @ 165 per channel. My sub is currently a Meridian M2500 but that may soon change. I recently downloaded revised instructions for setting up the center channel CC3. These instructions read as follows:

"Even though you will probably be using a subwoofer, set your receiver or processor for "no subwoofer". This may seem strange, but it is necessary for the proper integration of the center channel bass. To drive your subwoofer, use a pre-amp output from the front L/R of the processor (it may be necessary to use Y adapters.

How this setup works-normally, when "small" center speaker is specified, the center channel bass is routed to the subwoofer. In reality, this does not work very well, especially for Maggies. There is usually a "hole" in the response or the sonic integration is poor. When " no subwoofer" is specified, the processor automatically routes the center channel bass to the front left/right "full range" maggies. The front left/right maggies provide the bass for the center channel, and the integration is seamless, having the same characteristics as the CC3. Since the signal from the front L/R pre-amp outputs is "full range," the subwoofer receives all the bass information. The .1 channel (effects) is not needed. Adjust the subwoofer crossover point so it does not overlap with the "full range" front L/R maggies."

Has anyone who owns Maggies, specifically the CC3, ever tried this setup? If so does it work, specifically does it produce a better integraton of the CC3 to the 1.6s? Alternatively, does it work just as well to use the LFE sub out on the processor, set all speakers to small and use the processor to set crossover points? Mr. Winey insists that the method set forth in the updated instructions provides the best integration. Please give me your thoughts as it is confusing to me.

Dean_M

Second Unit
PEH said:
Has anyone who owns Maggies, specifically the CC3, ever tried this setup? If so does it work, specifically does it produce a better integraton of the CC3 to the 1.6s? Alternatively, does it work just as well to use the LFE sub out on the processor, set all speakers to small and use the processor to set crossover points? Mr. Winey insists that the method set forth in the updated instructions provides the best integration. Please give me your thoughts as it is confusing to me.
I have a CC3 center that I use with 3.6Rs and I have never tried the Magnepan recommended setup. It seems like a rather convoluted way of doing things to me. Since you'll be going with the DTC-9.8, which I also have, I recommend connecting your speakers and sub in the conventional manner and using the included Audyssey EQ software to set all the values for your speakers for you. If your experience is anything like mine, I think you'll be very pleased with the result.

PEH

Auditioning
Real Name
Paul
Dean_M said:
I have a CC3 center that I use with 3.6Rs and I have never tried the Magnepan recommended setup. It seems like a rather convoluted way of doing things to me. Since you'll be going with the DTC-9.8, which I also have, I recommend connecting your speakers and sub in the conventional manner and using the included Audyssey EQ software to set all the values for your speakers for you. If your experience is anything like mine, I think you'll be very pleased with the result.
Thank you for the reply. Trying to get someone to respond to this question has been like pulling teeth from chickens. I am glad to hear someone else has a similar setup with a DTC 9.8 in use. I am also glad to hear that Aydyssey does a good job of setting up these speakers, I just wish mine would arrive. The setup recommended by Magnepan seemed odd to me as well especially in the face of so many receivers/processors that have to ability to set individual crossovers. Just out of curiosity what crossover setting did you end up using after running Audyssey?

Dean_M

Second Unit
PEH said:
Just out of curiosity what crossover setting did you end up using after running Audyssey?
If memory serves, Audyssey set the CC3 at 100 Hz, the 3.6Rs at 60 Hz, and my 1.6QR surrounds also at 60 Hz. My subwoofer is an infinite baffle, mounted in the ceiling/attic with four eighteen inch Avalanche drivers. It's the only sub I've heard in my room that can keep up with my Maggies. As hard as I try, the blending is so good that I cannot tell where the Maggies cut off and the sub begins. And I certainly can't detect any "holes".

PEH

Auditioning
Real Name
Paul
I received my Integra yesterday. I guess I know what I will be doing today. I am really curious to see how Ausyssey sets my system. Your settings are interesting since that is where I would set mine except for the rears, which in my case are MC1s. I am using a Meridian M2500 for my sub but I am considering replacing it with an SVS 20-39PC Plus. Any thoughts on that?

Dean_M

Second Unit
PEH said:
I received my Integra yesterday. I guess I know what I will be doing today. I am really curious to see how Ausyssey sets my system. Your settings are interesting since that is where I would set mine except for the rears, which in my case are MC1s. I am using a Meridian M2500 for my sub but I am considering replacing it with an SVS 20-39PC Plus. Any thoughts on that?
I'm not at all familiar with the Meridian, but I did own an SVS sub for a time. I found that it didn't blend with my Maggies very well. Although, room placement, the lack of EQ, or a number of other things could have been factors in that. A number of Maggie owners have had very good luck with the Martin Logan Depth sub and the ACI Titan XL sub. IMO, the Titan provides the best bang for the buck of the two. Had I not gone with an IB I would have gone with a pair of the Titans.
To jump back to the recommended hook-up for the CC3, it just occurred to me that if you follow Magnepan's recommendation and set the sub to "none" in the receiver/preamp, that the LFE (.1) channel will be lost. The LFE channel is not rerouted to the other speakers when there's no sub, as far as I know. That may be fine for listening to music, but it seems to me that it would be too much of a sacrifice for movie tracks.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks