What's new

Love Boat (1 Viewer)

ual191

Auditioning
Real Name
Chris
Ok, great news that the Love Boat is finally coming to DVD.....but it is coming in Volume Sets.....UGH......why can't they just do a whole season.

Oh well, at least we are getting something.

March 4, 2008!

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member

I HATE volume sets!!!! When I picked up the Fall Guy Season 1, at least there was an option to buy the whole season, or voulumes1, and 2. We will probably see the second volume of The Love Boat in July of 2009!!!:frowning:.......:frowning:

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter
Well this is something i have been waiting for since day 1 and Paramount has made it easy for me, i am not buying volume sets. Oh Well so much for being excited about this coming out next year. Scratch The Love Boat off my list of things i am waiting on to collect. If full seasons can be done for Hawaii Five-O there is no excuse for the Streets of San Francisco and now the Love Boat.

Mark Lx

Second Unit
Wait a minute, it says Season 1, Volume 1. They might still be in order. Aren't there 3 TV movies followed by 25 episodes. That's a pretty big set. I'd cut them some slack dividing up season 1 as long as we get the pilots.

Jeff*H

Premium
Real Name
Jeff
I'm buying it regardless as I have fond memories of watching this show as a kid with my grandmother.

Paramount obviously doesn't have great confidence in how this will sell, hence the volume sets and subsequent higher cost to get a full season in 2 volumes. Shows like Hawaii Five-0 and Mission: Impossible received full seasons at a lower overall cost (versus 2 volumes) most likely because Paramount knew these properties were highly-requested over the years and there was a large demand. Their respective Amazon sales reflect that, as their seasons usually crack the top 20 for a few days and remain in the top 50for a week or more.
Volume sets like Streets of San Francisco (which I own and enjoy as well) never cracked the top 100 on Amazon that I ever saw, although you could argue the reason for that was people hate volume sets and didn't support them. The problem with that logic is that poor sales will kill future releases down the road.

Hopefully Love Boat will sell well enough as volume sets that maybe they will switch to full seasons if their sales projections are significantly exceeded. However, boycotting them will prevent that from ever happening unfortunately.

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter
I really do think it is to the point where volumes are such a big turnoff to people that sales are greatly reduced when doing so. It is not a question of content for the reason splitting up sets like Love Boat and Streets. Because they have proven they can release full season sets with a ton of content like 90210 and Melrose which frequently have 30+ episodes per season.

So if that is not the reason for the split, and your reason as a studio is you do not think it will sell that well, then i think your marketing strategy is flawed, because as much as you think it might not sell that well, it would sell better released as a whole.

brett tolino

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
brett tolino
Here I was, all excited about Love Boat come May 2008... until I heard Paramount is doing Volume sets instead of Season sets.

For me, the boat has sunk.

No way I'm buying Volume sets. It takes studios long enough to release Season sets, with Volume sets, it will take 2x as long. So while it may have taken originally 8 years to get the complete series by Season Sets, now, it'll take 16 years or longer. After that, they'll offer the complete series in one whole box that looks like a boat... with bonus features not available on the individual volumes.

Look how long it has taken for them to do Dynasty... Happy Days and Laverne and Shirley and that's with season sets and those series aren't even 1/2 the way completed.

Sorry, I've just jumped overboard off the Love Boat. Maybe when they put the boat back in one piece, by season, I'll jump back onboard.

Mark Lx

Second Unit
That sucks. At least have the first appearance of the regular cast. What they're offering is worth just under $20 (US$, the cheap stuff) and that's what I'll be paying on ebay

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Well...I'm not a huge fan of this show. Never was...but I was considering getting the first three or so seasons. That is, I was until I saw that the three pilot films are not going to be included. Sorry. No dice. I simply can't accept that. The first three films were really funny from what I remember. I was really looking forward to seeing them again.

The only reason I bought season 1 of Fantasy Island is because it had the first two movies included.

Well, looks like I can skip this release.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks