What's new

Lost DVD news! (1 Viewer)

Jonny P

Supporting Actor
I've been looking forward to this set for a while...

One question, though...

Does anyone know what sort of packaging they'll be using?

Buena Vista has trended towards this horrid "overlapping" disc packaging lately on their releases (see "Scrubs" and "The Muppet Show"). I just wanted to mentally prepare myself now for what might result in a trip to the exchange counter to get a set that isn't scratched and scuffed...

ElijahS

Supporting Actor

With their dramas, they tend to do book packaging (see Alias S3 for an example, or WB's The West Wing S4). With seven discs instead of six, though, I'm not exactly sure on that.

RyanAn

Screenwriter
Is bestbuy.com displaying the bonus disc as an option? I have never heard of an online shop giving the bonus disc away with an order when it is available in store. Good luck, though.

Ryan

Richard Hardbattle

Stunt Coordinator
Just started disc one of Lost - beware, because one of the trailers that plays before the main menu is for Lost Season two...... Don't know if spoilers are in it or not...I just closed my eyes and hummed!

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
I see they are also including a "$10 Digital Coupon" to use on a future BestBuy.com purchase. So, when you factor in the coupon savings, it almost makes it a $29.99 purchase. Based upon this wrinkle and if history is any indicator, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see a $30 B&M street price during release week...

Pavan_P

Second Unit
The trailer for Lost S2 is the same trailer that ABC has been airing and the one that has surfaced on the Oceanic Airlines website.

ElijahS

Supporting Actor
Damn. I was hoping the packaging would be different. I hope this doesn't mean that the same style will be used for Alias S4 or Desperate Housewives S1.

stephen^wilson

Stunt Coordinator
I have the set in my hands right now and it is indeed in a digipak with 2 discs overlapping on each panel.I wish Buena Vista would make up their minds about which type of packaging to use though,I will now be expecting the eventual season 2 release to change packaging type again!

Jonny P

Supporting Actor
Uggh...

Is this the same sort of packaging they used for "The Muppet Show?"

I think it is...hmmm...

I don't know what to do. I love the show, but this format is so much more prone to scuffs and scratches than other formats.

And yes...I am concerned this is what they'll do for Alias S4 in a couple of months...

Jonny P

Supporting Actor
If anyone could take a digital picture of their set, that would be great. I'd like to see how it looks before I make my final decision on the set...

Jonny P

Supporting Actor
I agree, Travis, and I am likely going to get it.

I just think that studio's efforts to "save space" end up hurting the consumer.

Generally speaking, such scuffs and scratches do not negatively affect playback, but for a perfectionist like me, it is annoying. ;)

I would like to see a photo of the packaging, though...I'd be happy to host it on one of my many web spaces for others to see, too.

John*D

Second Unit
I have this style of packaging for other tv sets (Home Improvement, Lois&Clark) and it's fine. They overlap but technically don't touch. Just be careful when removing the discs (as always) and don't worry about it.

Ryan_Guah

Stunt Coordinator
I don't understand the "overlapping" technique. Are there any photos of other shows with this packaging floating around? If I can't see LOST's, I'd like to see SOMETHING, just so I know what to expect.

MattHR

Screenwriter

There are some pics of this type of packaging in other threads, but I can't think of any right now. So, here's a quick scan of "Home Improvement" Season 2's interior containing three discs, two of which overlap:

Jonny P

Supporting Actor
The following photos are hosted on my web domain...

I use my muppet set as an example since it is the only one I own this way. There is one "slot" that is a full circle with a full spindle...that is the bottom slot.

The top slot is "moon" shaped and the spindle that holds the center of the disc is a "partial moon-shaped circle" as well:

The second photo illustrates the discs in there. As you can tell, you can't get the bottom disc out without removing the top disc. The bottom of the top disc is "very close" to the top of the bottom disc:

This third picture is taken "low" to illustrate how close the discs are to each other. At most, there is about 1/16th of an inch gap.

I realize that no matter the packaging, scratches and scuffs can occur. I just realize that the people packing these things don't always worry about "quality control" when doing it. This sort of packaging -- in my opinion -- makes scratches more likely. It is also very inconvenient if you want to only view a certain disc. I realize the desire to save space, but I think this sort of packaging is a step in the wrong direction. But that's just me...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks