What's new

THE VANISHING SHADOW..from VCI (1 Viewer)

J. Casey

Second Unit
Real Name
Jason
Had a chance to view a classic Universal serial from 1934 this week, courtesy of VCI BD--THE VANISHING SHADOW. This is one of the first of VCI's recent series of masters from Universal's vault materials. All 12 chapters are included on one dual layer (BD50) disc.

The only complaint I have is that they seem to have used the raw low contrast scans without any color correction. I noticed this same MO on the two Buck Jones serials from similar studio vault materials that they only released on DVD recently.

Great to see these looking so good, but some color correction (higher contrast) would have been perfect. More of these are coming in the immediate next few months: MYSTERIOUS MR. M, LOST CITY IN THE JUNGLE, JUNGLE QUEEN, and THE PHANTOM CREEPS. The only bad news is that 6 chapters of PHANTOM CREEPS were found to be deteriorated and will need to be restored from other elements. Many more of these Universal serial remasters will be coming--a total of 30+.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
These serials are currently priced at priced at $19.99. Amazon shows MSRP to be $29.99. The ones I saw advertised say they are 2K scans from various sources. For example " The Phantom Creeps" and " Lost City of the Jungle" say they are from original 35mm fine grain. Mysterious Mr. M is from 35mm film masters. I don't know what that means . A print? A duplicate negative? The best elements, whatever they are, that survive? These will hopefully be a vast improvement over the PD DVDs previously released.

Last edited:

J. Casey

Second Unit
Real Name
Jason
The three currently out (VANISHING SHADOW, ROARING WEST, THE RED RIDER) look great except for the milky black levels. Appear to be from fine grains. I notice that the two Buck Jones serials (ROARING, RIDER) are up for blu ray releases (now that I've already purchased them on DVD!). Several orders of magnitude better than PD prints.

mark-edk

Second Unit
Just finished Lost City of the Jungle and while they had good source materials, the almost nonexistent contrast made it almost unwatchable. I had to rip the files and put some actual contrast into the video. The Universal serial series is going to be a lost opportunity for VCI if they can't do something as simple as adjusting the contrast.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Just finished Lost City of the Jungle and while they had good source materials, the almost nonexistent contrast made it almost unwatchable. I had to rip the files and put some actual contrast into the video. The Universal serial series is going to be a lost opportunity for VCI if they can't do something as simple as adjusting the contrast.

Last edited:

mark-edk

Second Unit
That's Mysterious Mr M you linked to and it does look great. One of their best transfers. Earlier posts in this thread cite several other releases that have poor contrast similar to LCotJ.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
That's Mysterious Mr M you linked to and it does look great. One of their best transfers. Earlier posts in this thread cite several other releases that have poor contrast similar to LCotJ.
Luckily would be able to just adjust contrast levels on my monitor VCI has been doing really great work on the serials - and other releases love their The Way Ahead and Angel On My Shoulder and White Zombie their upcoming RAIN looks good too. For a small indie firm that is the oldest Home Vid company they are upgrading a lot! Looking forward to their release of I think the two Universal Dead End Kid Serials they have. Phantom Creeps will look great too. I just wish Columbia would give them The Spider's Web! Like your thoughts you seem to know your serials I amhappy VCI is doing these releases they did great work on SCROOGE 1951 b4 they lost the rights they did great work on Topper and One Million BC!

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
I couldn't agree more about Spider's Web and its sequel. I think my favorite serial is The Master Key (first serial I saw, and it was on tv).
Surprised VCI never did The Master Key

mark-edk

Second Unit
I have Master Key on DVD; pretty sure it was VCI but from a while ago. I think it's one of the titles VCI will be remastering.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
I have Master Key on DVD; pretty sure it was VCI but from a while ago. I think it's one of the titles VCI will be remastering.
YES u are right just found the list

ACE DRUMMOND
ADVS OF FRANK MERRIWELL
ADVS OF SMILIN JACK
ADVS OF THE FLYING CADETS
CALL OF THE SAVAGE
DON WINSLOW OF COAST GUARD
DON WINSLOW OF NAVY
FLAMING FRONTIERS
GANG BUSTERS
GORDON OF GHOST CITY
GREAT ALASKAN MYSTERY
GREEN HORNET
GREEN HORNET STRIKES AGAIN
JUNGLE JIM
JUNGLE QUEEN
JUNIOR G-MEN
JUNIOR G-MEN OF THE AIR
LOST CITY OF THE JUNGLE
MASTER KEY
MYSTERIOUS MR M
MYSTERY OF THE RIVER BOAT
OREGON TRAIL
OVERLAND MAIL
PERILS OF PAULINE
PHANTOM CREEPS
PHANTOM OF THE AIR
PHANTOM RIDER
PIRATE TREASURE
RADIO PATROL
RAIDERS OF GHOST CITY
RED BARRY
RED RIDER
RIDERS OF DEATH VALLEY
ROARING WEST
ROYAL MOUNTED RIDES AGAIN
RUSTLERS OF RED DOG
SCARLET HORSEMAN
SCOUTS TO THE RESCUE
SEA RAIDERS
SECRET AGENT X-9 1937 and 1945
SKY RAIDERS
TAILSPIN TOMMY
TAILSPIN TOMMY IN THE GREAT AIR MYSTERY
TIM TYLER'S LUCK
VANISHING SHADOW
WILD WEST DAYS
WINNERS OF THE WEST

which are ones that interest you

mark-edk

Second Unit
All of them! I'm less into Westerns but that won't stop me from getting them. Tops for me in that list Master Key, Green Hornet (both), Frank Merriwell, Phantom Creeps, Secret Agents.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
All of them! I'm less into Westerns but that won't stop me from getting them. Tops for me in that list Master Key, Green Hornet (both), Frank Merriwell, Phantom Creeps, Secret Agents.
Their Green Hornets look great already!

Bert Greene

Screenwriter
The last few VCI Universal serial releases, "Gang Busters," "Phantom of the Air," "Wild West Days," have all looked particularly stunning, without the low-contrast tendencies of some of the earlier ones. It's been a while, so I've been anxiously awaiting any news of further releases. There's been a lot of scuttlebutt about the difficulties getting "The Phantom Creeps" (1939) out, and I've assumed that one had been on the agenda. That's the serial that most folks seem to be clamoring for. Although I'm a bit of an odd-man-out in regards to that one, as I always found it kinda irritatingly stupid. My favorite of the Universals is probably "Tim Tyler's Luck" (1937), but with these VCI releases I'm perhaps most keen on first upgrading items that have only circulated in very poor condition to date, with something like "The Lost Special" (1932) being a good example. Of the 1940s titles, indeed "The Master Key" (1945) and the two Don Winslow's certainly need a new makeover, as their previously available prints are a bit lacking.

But add me to the list of those pining for a sharp copy of Columbia's "The Spider's Web" (1938). That one's a doozy!

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
The last few VCI Universal serial releases, "Gang Busters," "Phantom of the Air," "Wild West Days," have all looked particularly stunning, without the low-contrast tendencies of some of the earlier ones. It's been a while, so I've been anxiously awaiting any news of further releases. There's been a lot of scuttlebutt about the difficulties getting "The Phantom Creeps" (1939) out, and I've assumed that one had been on the agenda. That's the serial that most folks seem to be clamoring for. Although I'm a bit of an odd-man-out in regards to that one, as I always found it kinda irritatingly stupid. My favorite of the Universals is probably "Tim Tyler's Luck" (1937), but with these VCI releases I'm perhaps most keen on first upgrading items that have only circulated in very poor condition to date, with something like "The Lost Special" (1932) being a good example. Of the 1940s titles, indeed "The Master Key" (1945) and the two Don Winslow's certainly need a new makeover, as their previously available prints are a bit lacking.

But add me to the list of those pining for a sharp copy of Columbia's "The Spider's Web" (1938). That one's a doozy!
I had asked Michael Schlesinger what Sony had on Web and he thinks they shou;d have decent material. Sadly to them these old films have no value tell that to VCI KINO and WAC I hope VCI is getting ready to do the Dead End kid serials soon

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks