What's new

Lord Of The Rings, The: The Motion Picture Trilogy (MERGED THREAD) (1 Viewer)

Tom June

Agent
The DVD set is coming out...Peter Jackson just isn't involved with it. The set will just contain the theatrical releases of each film. Nothing new.

SarahG

Second Unit

I thought that what that quote was referring to was not the Box Set coming out that is confirmed on May 25th..but rather the Extended Edition Box Set rumored to be out in 2005

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
Put me down on the "what more do we need?????" camp. Two versions of each film is plenty good enough for me. The only upgrade I'm interested in is when the HD versions come out.

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member

"Might be revisited"? Yeah, right, like there is any chance in hell that they won't be once HD-DVD rolls around. Anyway, if that is the case, that's fine. A significant imporvement in PQ is a worthy excuse to dip once again.

At the moment, I am simply enjoying the fact that I won't be tempted to buy a third version of the trilogy on DVD.

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
I don't really care about the Extended Editions. I got the Extended Edition of The Fellowship, and watched it once. It wasn't any more enjoyable than the original edition that I sold. I never bought the Two Towers at all on DVD, so I might just sell my Extended Edition of The Fellowship and get a "Theatrical Edition" boxset if they release one.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
No "if" about it, there is a Theatrical Edition box set announced for 5/25. It's just the three TE's in a slipcase, nothing extra, but maybe there will be good deals on it when it streets.

Tom June

Agent

Nah, he's referring to the generic theatrical box set in may. The above quote from him is an old one, around the time the news of the theatrical box set was unconfirmed.

Bill Williams

Screenwriter
This doesn't surprise me at all. Between the 2-disc theatrical sets and the 4-disc EE's, there's no real need for anything else. Unless, of course, PJ decides to go back and film more new footage involving Tom Bombadil and other characters that didn't make it into the trilogy, as well as reshoot the entire Saruman subplot from ROTK, then integrate that new footage back into the film for longer cuts that are even closer to the book. Maybe then I'll get it.

And oh yeah, that would be cool if there were some surviving audiotapes somewhere of Tolkein talking about the whole LOTR saga. That would make for an excellent audio track with the films!

I know, wishful thinking on my part. But until that happens, which is akin to a snowball's chance in hell or seeing the original Star Wars trilogy preserved on DVD, I'm perfectly happy with what's been released.

clayton b

Stunt Coordinator
Jackson has gone on record saying that he will work on an HD DVD boxed set and that there is lots more material left for it:

From the torn oscar party:

Oscar Winner, Peter Jackson (to the fans): I'm sure most of you have heard me blabbing off in the past few weeks but we've just finished the extended cut of the DVD. I finished the edit before I came over here - these poor bastards at Weta have got another 350 effects shots to do! They're well on the way. Elijah's seen the extended cut. New Line have announced some box set that's supposed to be coming out which I didn't know anything about. When I've done 'King Kong' I'd like to do a proper box set and we've got a whole bunch of material - not of the movie but we've got a whole lot of bloopers out there! When King Kong's out the way I'd like to do a really high definition version with the best possbile picture quality

Jason_Els

Screenwriter
I want 6-hour versions of each film. Everything with the kitchen sink, stopper, and sprayer with a nice Kohler designer faucet. :D

Heinz W

Second Unit

I gonna guess that you're just not a big fan of these films because the improvement in picture quality alone makes the EE's WAY better in my book, nevermind the improvements to the story (mainly through character developement).

Dean_Jonesy

Agent
"There is a 4hr documentary "Lord Of The Rings: The Journey" coming to dvd as well. If it has all new footage I would imagine that there would be not much left other than bloopers to release."

Really? I haven't heard about this.

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard

I am a fan of the movies, although not a HC Fan. I like the movies a lot, but I don't Eat, Sleep and Breathe them like some people do. I also wasn't aware that the picture quality was all that much better on the EE's. I'll have to read some reviews that compare that aspect. As far as the 3- minitues of extra footage, it really didn't do much for me.

SvenS

Second Unit
3 Minutes of extra footage! Try 30+ minutes of extra footage on both EE's. These extra 30+ minutes are very much a improvement on things like why Smeagle turns back to Golum because you see in the extra footage how man mistreats him by beating him several times (which is not shown in the Theatrical version). Also the very important back story of the relationship between Boramir, Faramir, and their father.

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
Whoops. That 3 was a typo. I only watched the EE for the Fellowship, and it didn't seem much of an improvement. I'll have to give the EE for The Two Towers a watch to see if it's any better than the Theatrical Edition.

Heinz W

Second Unit
Joshua, I think you'll find that the Two Towers benefits even more from the extended footage than Fellowship did. I also believe ROTK will benefit even more from EE treatment.

BrentPollard

Second Unit
QUOTE:

"There is a 4hr documentary "Lord Of The Rings: The Journey" coming to dvd as well. If it has all new footage I would imagine that there would be not much left other than bloopers to release."

Really? I haven't heard about this.

I haven't looked in a few days now but there was actually a Quicktime trailer of the Doc at the Apple QT site

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks