What's new

Lord Of The Rings, The: The Motion Picture Trilogy (MERGED THREAD) (2 Viewers)

Jeff D Han

Supporting Actor
No matter if it's just a rumor or it turns out to
be fact about another edition with different extras,
I am very happy with the extended editions of these
movies and I won't double dip.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
I have never read the books, but just from reading the long ROTK thread in the movies section about all the stuff that wasn't in the film (but may or may not be on the Extended EE) I would acutally welcome new editions other than the EEs down the line. Maybe something with like 3 discs per film with all usable footage included (useable in terms of story and technicality) Since PJ made New Line hundreds of millions of dollars (maybe eventually in the billions) with these films, he could even probably convince New Line to give him money to film new scenes. Since I already have the 2 EEs that are out, I wouldn't care if there were alot of extras. I would have no complaint though if PJ recorded new commentary.

RodneyT

Stunt Coordinator

Yes. My precious. I'd love to see this......

Can a bloopers reel be included in one of the appendicies discs on the ROTK EE????

After all, they spent years making these movies: there has to be plenty of stuff-ups.....

SvenS

Second Unit
I will lay odds that there will be a boxed set of these films but it will merely be a boxed set of all three EE's. And further I will wager that New Line will offer (at a reasonable price) the box by itself to those of us who bought the first two EE's already.

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
That'd be nice. I'm still pleased with Universal for allowing people to "upgrade" their Jurassic Park boxed sets by sending in UPCs from JP1, JP2 and JP3, and they'd send you the bonus disc and the box.

Jason_Els

Screenwriter

As I've said before, I'm a kitchen-sinker. Six hours a film wouldn't be enough for me. I know there were scenes shot which did not make it on either of the two extended releases so far. If PJ decided to even add 1 minute to each film I would buy them all over again. Each consecutive addition brings more of the book to life.

Oh, and I'll buy the HD versions too :D

Robert Anthony

Senior HTF Member
I don't think that's at ALL a bad idea, and I know there was a huge discussion in the ROTK pre-release thread in the Movies Discussion board that dealt with this, near the end of the behemoth. Starting here, and going for the next 3 or 4 pages--although you gotta skim through, because about 3 different discussions are happening at the same time.

I think people are taking "Chronological" a little too literally. I think they just mean to take SOME of the flashbacks--especially the one's that take place before Frodo enters the history of Middle Earth, and consolidate them all to the prologue, and then clean up some of the cutting back and forth, maybe stay in Fangorn a little longer, extend the Helm's Deep stuff a little longer, stuff like that.

I think it's going to happen, actually.

Robert Anthony

Senior HTF Member
Well, it's pretty easy--the Balrog fall from the beginning of TTT would be chopped and moved to it's appropriate spot in Fellowship--instead of cutting to Frodo and Sam in Emyn Muil, cut back to that close up of Aragorn, and then just continue on from there--so that way, we go from them looking at the Emyn Muil at the end of Fellowship, fade to black, and then hold on the black for a second--BAM! Picture comes up as Frodo's eyes pop open. Then continue on.

The Two Towers would be pretty easy, as there's a bunch of footage that we haven't seen yet that apparently was planned as a bridge between the two movies. Basically, we'd move the "let her do it" to before we check back in with Merry and Pippin at isengard from the EE--and then reinsert the Voice of Saruman scene, and from there, voila--back to Return of the King

And that's just me sitting here thinking about it at the other end of a keyboard, just a fanboy. I'm sure a professional editor with the shots we dont' have access to can come up with something even better.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Robert, Just to clarify:

I wasn't speaking out of doubt. From your response, I get the feeling that you read my post in the context of myself not believeing that the films could be put together. I just thought since we're talking about putting the films together in one massive epic, it would be cool to hear people's thoughts on how they might do it.

I think that Gandalf's encounter with the Balrog in "Fellowship" should be left as is. It should not be extended to what was seen at the beginning of TTT because it would lessen the impact of the scene at that point. They should move Gandalf and the Balrog falling to later on in TTT when Gandalf is telling Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli his story of how he "Survived." I guess the prologue in the beginning of "Fellowship" would need to be tweaked. I was thinking cutting the shots of Gollum and Bilbo from where they are. Keep everything up until the ring is lost in the river, then cut to the Smeagol scene at the beginning of ROTK and the last shot of the new Prologue would be Bilbo finding the ring.

Would you keep the title cards in or just present it as "Lord of the Rings?"

Robert Anthony

Senior HTF Member
ooh, your idea of the Gandalf handling was WAY better than the one I threw out. Cool :)

I'd probably keep the title cards in because even the all in one novels split it up by book.

But then again, who knows. My original idea was to make this a TV event, break it down into 1 1/2 hour chunks and name the parts after the individual "books" in the whole or even cool chapter names.

And nah, I took your post as someone saying "well, how would you do it" nothing more, nothing less. Sorry if I came off all "Well, just to SHOW YOU how it can be done, NYAH NYAH" that's my bad. Sometimes I sound like that ;)

makes for interesting movie discussion at my house.

WillG

Senior HTF Member

That would be cool, but not for T.V. good luck getting a network or even most cable stations to show it in OAR. They may not have a choice because the extended versions apparently don't have P&S transfers, but it might not get shown period. Plus, you'll have commercials and edited content. For example in TTT commentary PJ mentions that when Aragorn, Gimli and Legolas arrive to the site where the Rohan Riders battled the Orcs/Urak-hai they filmed a tv friendly version of the Orc head on the stake to show a helmeted head instead of the uncovered head that is seen in the film now. And the audio...forget about it.

Robert Anthony

Senior HTF Member
yeah, but like I said in the other thread I linked to--New Line is owned by warner, which also owns TNT--if Fox can get a company to put up money for commercial free "24" I'm sure Time Warner can get someone to put up money for LOTR. And since TNT shows a HIGH amount of it's programming in widescreen (at least, high compared to other networks. It's made for TV movies are shown in letterbox a LOT) it's not that far-fetched. Edited for TV might not be too much of a problem, either: Cable has VERY lax standards and practices--it's why the FX network gets away with "The Shield" and why Comedy Central can run 3/4ths of it's programming.

And the thing is--it's being released on TV wouldn't stop it from being released on DVD the following week

Torgny Nilsson

Second Unit
I heard a rumor that all three extended editions of the films will be released as a special box set sometime after or around the time of the DVD release of The Return of the King, extended edition. Does anyone have any info on this rumor?

WillG

Senior HTF Member
There's nothing official, but it stands to reason that New Line may package all three EEs together. They have publicly stated that they are not going to make new versions, however. But, there is some debate to whether or not that may indeed happen in other threads.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
It was my understanding that they were going to release all the EE's cut together as one giant film. I remember PJ talking about it before FOTR even hit the theaters.

Allot has probably changed since then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks