What's new

Pre-Order The Lord of the Rings: The Motion Picture Trilogy (4k UHD Steelbook) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I’m not sure I understand the question. Do you mean will they ever release the theatrical and extended on the same single disc, rather than as separate discs in the same package as is the case here?
I doubt they would do seamless branching for these titles. The color timing and sound mix is different between the theatrical and extended versions, making it much easier to simply put each version on a separate disc.

Mike_Nepo

Grip
I think he meant consolidating the Extended version into 1 disc. The past bluray versions had each single extended version into 2 discs. Given that these are now UHD, and a larger capacity, I was hoping this iteration of the Extended versions would fit into 1 disc. Based on Bill Hunt's info, this does not look to be the case.

Yeoman007

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Rick
I think he meant consolidating the Extended version into 1 disc. The past bluray versions had each single extended version into 2 discs. Given that these are now UHD, and a larger capacity, I was hoping this iteration of the Extended versions would fit into 1 disc. Based on Bill Hunt's info, this does not look to be the case.

Yes, the discs are larger capacity, but the movie is also at a high resolution (4K vs. 2K). It need more space.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW

I hope that doesn't happen. They're each, especially RotK, long enough that they really do need to be spread over 2 discs. Even BD100 is really only double the capacity of BD50, and we (and they) are probably not just expecting/anticipating very minor improvements in quality over the BDs afterall -- most probably wouldn't bother rebuying them if so.

Besides, nothing wrong at all w/ having a break somewhere in the middle of a 3-to-4-plus-hour epic... and having (what amounts to) an intermission in such epics had long been common and understood as a good thing anyway.

_Man_

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Besides, nothing wrong at all w/ having a break somewhere in the middle of a 3-to-4-plus-hour epic... and having (what amounts to) an intermission in such epics had long been common and understood as a good thing anyway.

_Man_
Nothing wrong with having a bathroom break for some of us old folks.;)

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I watch the EE's on Blu-ray about once a year, but for the last few years, I watch or view them as a "mini series" - one disc a night over the course of a week. As much as I love these (and the UHD BDs are a day one purchase for me), they are very long for a single viewing and given how many times I've seen them, it just kind of works well this way for me.

With that said, if the picture quality of these on UHD BD is stunning, I might be tempted to view each in a single viewing initially. :)

Reactions: PMF

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Was it promoted as such? That is what I mean-- even if it was played in theaters at 48 FPS, it certainly wasn't promoted at the theaters near me.
I remember checking every theater in nearly all of Michigan for the unique HFR. If it played that way, it certainly wasn't mentioned. I wanted to see it the away Peter Jackson suggested, but found it insanely difficult.

I'm sure they advertised it that way or I would've gone to another theater. The one in question was less convenient than others when I'd visit my parents in Arizona!

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I watch the EE's on Blu-ray about once a year, but for the last few years, I watch or view them as a "mini series" - one disc a night over the course of a week. As much as I love these (and the UHD BDs are a day one purchase for me), they are very long for a single viewing and given how many times I've seen them, it just kind of works well this way for me.

With that said, if the picture quality of these on UHD BD is stunning, I might be tempted to view each in a single viewing initially. :)

I like my "LOTR" marathons, but I've put it off for a while to wait for the 4Ks.

It's not an annual thing for me - more like once every 3-4 years - so I figured I could wait for the inevitable 4K!

I did watch the extended "Hobbit" trilogy 2 years ago because I got the 3Ds...

Bob_S.

Screenwriter
I can't watch the Hobbit films "flat" anymore. I own the extended 3D, and they are spectacular.

However, I'm really excited to see the original LOTR films in 4K. I'll be buying those day one.
Same here. The only incentive to watch them, however, I recently tried to watch the first Hobbit movie ( which is the most tolerable out of the three) and couldn't get past the Rivendell scene. I just don't have the interest in the Hobbit movies anymore. They're terrible.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Somehow even though I love the first Hobbit and the Rings movies I’ve managed to not watch the last two movies.

I think I just forgot.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I do wonder if the Hobbit movies came out first, would this criticism of them be as vocal? My gut tells me the criticism would be quite a bit less.

Perhaps, but on the other hand, if PJ had done "Hobbit" first, I think there's a zero % chance they'd be the same as they are now.

I think he got caught up in the experience of "LOTR" and stretched the source to be another Big Epic Trilogy, even though the book didn't fit that or really warrant it.

A PJ pre-"LOTR" "Hobbit" probably would've been just one movie and it probably would've been more light-hearted and less of an attempt to be BIG!!!

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I kind of agree with Colin's assessment.

THE HOBBIT was definitely hurt by LOTR. I mean, LOTR was just an immense masterpiece of perfection. Three books played out perfectly in film form. It was nearly impossible to repeat that magic a second time.

THE HOBBIT was a single book and as Colin suggested, would have worked better as one movie.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Yes, I think LOTR was perfection as well.

Also agree...I think The Hobbit would have worked a lot better as one movie. Maybe even two movies as originally planned if I recall, but three just stretched it out way too much IMO. However, I think Warner saw they would be leaving WAY too much money on the table otherwise.

I pre-ordered LOTR, but have not for The Hobbit. I'm not sure yet on that one.

owen35

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
Yes, I think LOTR was perfection as well.

Also agree...I think The Hobbit would have worked a lot better as one movie. Maybe even two movies as originally planned if I recall, but three just stretched it out way too much IMO. However, I think Warner saw they would be leaving WAY too much money on the table otherwise.

I pre-ordered LOTR, but have not for The Hobbit. I'm not sure yet on that one.

I think that is the general consensus. The story wasn't strong enough to expand to 3 films. I found most of the action scenes started becoming tedious and too long by the third film. I haven't watched the extended versions, so I don't know if those improved the films any.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks