What's new

Lord Of The Rings, The: The Motion Picture Trilogy (MERGED THREAD) (1 Viewer)

Jim*F

Stunt Coordinator
Not to sound like a compulsive fan, but I agree with JasonTil. I love each EE, but would love to see a 4-disc set containing all three parts of the trilogy seemlessly connected into one long story. Just the 11-hour film on 4 discs -- no commentaries, no "making of" documentary, etc. (all that's already on the EEs).

Michael Harris

Screenwriter
Hey, considering how many ways the books have been packaged a "super deluxe limited edition collector's version with custom artwork signed and numbered by the artisan who ran the disc stamper" can't be far off, can it? :D

Chris Rein

Stunt Coordinator
Well, my guess would be since they've already come out with the "book like" packaging that they would either do a nice sleeve to hold all three "books" or maybe even a new set of bookends that are better than the LOTR:FOTR ones.

To this day I think the "book look" is a very nice touch to this fantastic set. I would be shocked if New Line would screw the fans over for a totally new set (since most of the people who bought the EE's are fans!)

Ryan_TD

Stunt Coordinator
I haven't heard PJ's commentary track for The Two Towers yet, but he mentioned during the commentary for Fellowship that he means to redo the brief Gollum scene, because it was early on and they really didn't "get him right" yet at that point.........So you can bet yer @ss that someday there will be a new version of Fellowship a la the '97 Star Wars special editions --- just a lot better;)

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member

Oh yes! For THESE movies, yes!

I want:

The demo film shown to Bob Shaye
Elijah Wood's audition tape
The 20-minute preview shown at the 2001 Cannes Film Festival
Complete commentary tracks by all involved (no editing)
Entire disks dedicated each to:
Costumes
Bigatures
Special Effects
Peter Jackson's 2002 Charlie Rose interview
Various other entertainment media interviews
TV specials and spots concerning the premieres and box office stats (things that would never go on a DVD, but especially in this case, where everyone involved is so humble)

For starters. :)

The only problems I have with the Extended Edition extras is that everything is way too short. I'm completely serious about that.

I'd buy a 10+ disk set dedicated specifically to extras!

(Oh, and, an abject apology from the executive at New Line who ok'd putting horrible red anti-piracy dots on the 3 films when they were shown in the theater.

And, seeing the goon who put the dots on Galadriel and Arwen's faces committing hiri kiri would be good too)

Jeff Kuykendall

Stunt Coordinator
Can someone please explain to me what you mean by reediting the films into one seamless film? I mean, you'd still have to split them over multiple discs--those are pretty big "seams." And the films flow together really smoothly as it is. The only thing I'd see you having to change is to take out those wonderful prologues that open The Two Towers and ROTK. So what's the point?

Not trying to be argumentative, I'm just curious what you guys have in mind, what you'd like to see for a "seamless" version.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
My two cents....

I think it's a bad idea to take all these
films and edit them together as one big epic.

I think each of these films work well on
their own.

For instance, I think that the way ROTK
starts off is very cool. I won't spoil it for
those who have yet to see the film, but it was
a nice change of pace for the newest installment
to go somewhere else instead of just picking up
where it left off.

I would never want to sit through 9 hours
straight of LOTR. That's inane. Even
though each film doesn't always exactly follow
the book it represents, I think the fact that
these films are divided by books makes them
stand well on their own.

This make sense?

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
I agree with Ron. And to further his point, all 3 films had different editors, which gave each film a different "feel".

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck

Before this fire gets any bigger...from what I understand, there may be some additional filming next year for the ROTK EE, and that will likely not include any major cast members, although they may have to some ADR.

Like others are saying, I believe it's been understood that the 4-disc EEs would be the definitive DVD releases of the films, but that a repackaging of all 12 discs may happen as well. I don't think we'll see new extras for a while.

I think New Line has done a fantastic job handling these sets, and it's nice to know that at least one studio understands and cares about their customers enough to treat them with respect. It also helps that Peter Jackson is such a big fan of the DVD format.

Nick T Robot

Supporting Actor
in the Commentary to TTT Peter Jackson mentions the Chronological Re-Edit of the Godfather Trilogy and the possibility of doing that (and Fans doing it with the current digital software available)

I enjoy the flashbacks (and flashforwards in the case of Arwen and Aragorn's life story) being put into the middle of the story. Some movies are stronger this way (Memento in the chronological easter egg form on the SE DVD is a great example)

That's a possibility and it would be something new for die hard fans to add to the proper edited movies.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
I disagree with Ron. The books can be read as LOTR, or as FOTR, TTT, and ROTK. Even as Books I - VI in some collections.

I see no reason not to make a single LOTR cut SE. The films are already available in multiple editions anyway. What's one more for the fans? If a viewer wants to see the TE, he or she can. The EE, he or she can. And if the viewer wants to dedicate 11 hours to the entirety (as Trilogy Tuesday indicates) as one cut, I see no reason for NL not to cater to that (assuming the editors worked on the films previously, and are supervised by the creative team).

Take care,
Chuck

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
I don't see the point in making one big film. It would necessitate multiple disc swaps so there would be breaks anyway. Plus to do a chronological edition would IMHO wreck a lot of the impetus the films currently have.

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
I you bought the EE Gift Sets (with the statues) then you will have 15 disc. The gift sets for the first two films came with an extra 5th disc. FOTR had the National Geographic special and TTT had the Gollum disc. ROTK will most likely have a 5th disc in its gift set, maybe the ROTK National Geographic special. If there is a 15 disc box set I think that it will be the EE with these 3 extra disc that are in the gift sets. So buy the Gift sets and you will already have them all. Add the theatrical editions and you have a total of 21 disc (which is what I will have).

Alvin.G.

Stunt Coordinator

Agreed.

And unless something really dramatic happens in ROTK time-wise(which I haven't seen yet :frowning: ), at least FOTR and TTT are presented pretty much chronologically. Granted, there are parts in TTT cutting back and forth between Helm's Deep, Fangorn Forest with M+P and Treebeard, and F + S at Osgiliath that are out of place, but re-editing these into "proper" time sequence would destroy the pace of the film (as mentioned above).

acg

Ben Harpold

Agent
I could see New Line putting together a boxset that includes the EE with all the extras that are included plus the extra discs from the Theatrical editions making it 15 discs total. Although most of the Theatrical extras are fluffy, some still might enjoy having everything (I know I am).

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
He says it as a joke.

I think the chronological order is a bad idea because some of the flashbacks work better in the future. I mean imagine the scenes between Arwen and Aragorn in TTT; to put them in order, we wouldn't see Arwen in TTT. The whole point of the flashback is to remind us that she still exists and how Aragorn is in love with her and how he can’t be involved with Eowyn.

David Tolsky

Supporting Actor

I loved the TT EE set but the Gollum disc was not at all what I expected. It was a big advertisement for Sideshow Weta collectables. It's set up to look like it's going to talk exclusively about the CGI in creating Gollum and that's not at all what you get.

George See

Second Unit
After buying the theatrical and the EE's if I bought another set of these movies anytime before HD-DVD my wife would likely kill me.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Can anyone tell me whether this ultimate definitive box-set is confirmed, because if so, I'd like to sell my Fellowship E.E.

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks