What's new

Looks like these may be coming soon to blu... (1 Viewer)

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
In the latest issue of Cinema Retro magazine Grover Crisp Executive Vice President of Asset Management, Film Restoration & Digital Mastering lists the following films as already in progress:

The Man From Laramie.jpg

The Last Detail Poster.jpg

On the Waterfront.jpg

Funny Girl.jpg

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter
Real Name
Luke J. Chung
"On The Waterfront" has ALREADY been released on BD by Criterion..."Funny GIrl" is due from Sony in the restored edition referred to above on April 30th!!! As for the others, it's welcome news if true!!!

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Very pleased indeed about The Man From Laramie, one of my favorite films and one of the first DVDs I bought. The DVD is not especially good so if Grover Crisp and his team do their usual magic, the BRD will be a major upgrade. I'll pre-order. I won't take any chances!

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Sorry, Luke, yes you are correct of course...I ended up chopping most of what I had wrote out of my post (including that he mentions Capra and Ford films as also underway) and so my post is really just a mess. My point was since he mentions On the Waterfront and Funny Girl and we know these are already on and coming to blu and elsewhere he mentions Major Dundee (also now about to come out on blu) that The Last Detail and Man from Laramie must be coming soon as well...from someone...

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter
Real Name
Luke J. Chung
No worries, Reggie W...the important part is that there are TWO previously unavailable titles from Sony now coming to BD, thanks to the hard work of Mr Crisp and his crew. No criticism on my part was intended... :biggrin:

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
So, everything in my original post has come out or is announced on blu-ray at this point except The Last Detail which I would hope is on the way as well. The are more films that I have read Mr. Crisp has prepared for release including:

shampoo.jpg

So I wonder who will release the blu-rays for these two...

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter
Real Name
Luke J. Chung
dana martin said:
thought that Shampoo was headed to Criterion, Hal Ashby and all, what I am really surprised about is the fact that Tootsie has yet to be released
I have a newly-released Sony Germany region-free pressing of "Tootsie" purchased from Amazon's German website for US $22...the video transfer and lossless DTS-MA-HD 5.0-channel audio by Grover Crisp's technical team at Sony is sparklingly clear and gorgeous, and the DVD releases' extras have been ported over. You MAY want to get this while you're waiting to see if Criterion gets this licensed from them!!! :thumbsup:

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Well, I had read rumors that Criterion was getting Hal Ashby's The Last Detail but if they are getting that as well as Shampoo I'd be thrilled with that.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
So, this was the thread where I had brought up the stuff Mr. Crisp had mentioned he had underway or ready to go. All of these except the two Ashby films have hit blu-ray. So, Shampoo and The Last Detail must be coming soon...somewhere...

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Reggie W said:
So, this was the thread where I had brought up the stuff Mr. Crisp had mentioned he had underway or ready to go. All of these except the two Ashby films have hit blu-ray. So, Shampoo and The Last Detail must be coming soon...somewhere...
Plenty of meat for Criterion to get their teeth into there...

ROclockCK

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
In total numbers, I believe Twilight Time is still ahead of Criterion in its licensing of Sony's recently remastered 4k titles. On the other hand, Criterion has a jones for Ashby, so that is more likely where Shampoo will land.

As for The Last Detail, it was among the first wave of Sony titles licensed by Mill Creek back in 2012. However, no word on it since...

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
OK, so Criterion or Twilight Time must be handling the blu-rays of The Last Detail and Shampoo. There seems to be a fairly long delay in getting these out which I suppose could mean there are some interesting special features being prepared for them. I'd really like to hear Jack talk about his work on The Last Detail and working with Ashby.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks