What's new

Press Release Criterion Press Release: I Am Cuba (1964) (4k UHD) (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
1BHgE6ZqUn6yBc4Ds9Pq3VlfKLd8uT_large.jpg
Both a landmark of radical political cinema and one of the most visually ravishing films ever made, this legendary hymn to revolution shimmers across the screen like a fever dream of rebellion. The result of an extraordinarily ambitious collaboration between the Soviet and Cuban film industries, director Mikhail Kalatozov’s I Am Cuba unfolds in four explosive vignettes that capture Cuban life on the brink of transformation, as crushing economic exploitation and inequality give way to a working-class uprising. Backed by Carlos Fariñas’s stirring score, the dazzling camera work by Sergei Urusevsky—an inspiration for generations of filmmakers to follow—gives flight to the movie’s message of liberation.

FILM INFO​

• Cuba, Soviet Union
  • 141 minutes
  • Black & White
  • 1.33:1
  • Spanish
  • Spine #1214

4K UHD + BLU-RAY SPECIAL EDITION FEATURES​

• New 4K digital restoration, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack
    • One 4K UHD disc of the film and one Blu-ray with the film and special features
    • “I Am Cuba,” the Siberian Mammoth, a 2004 documentary on the making of the film featuring key participants
    • Interview from 2003 with filmmaker Martin Scorsese
    • New appreciation of the film by cinematographer Bradford Young
    • Trailer
    • Alternate Russian-dubbed soundtrack
    • New English subtitle translation
    • PLUS: An essay by film critic Juan Antonio García Borrero

New cover by Century

April 23, 2024

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
Lo and behold! We were discussing this on the The Conformist thread not two weeks ago.

As Jose said there, it is an amazing film!

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Finally and long overdue. Criterion fills in another MIA gap within the world of Physical Media. Even sweeter is that I Am Cuba popped up as a 4K/UHD release, as well.

I Am Cuba was cited on the American Society of Cinematographers (ASC) Top 100 centenary list of January 2019, while also marking the 11th film from this source to be brought to us through Criterion in the 4K/UHD format.

And speaking of ASC Top 100s and MIA discs, I hope that Criterion will also find their way towards releasing Raise the Red Lantern in 4K/UHD at some given point.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks