What's new

Logan's Run? (1 Viewer)

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Warner announced in January that the complete series was in the works for the Warner Archive MOD
"We are cuurently [sic] at work on the LOGAN'S RUN series, and hope to have it ready sometime this year. It will be all the episodes, including the few that didn't air during the original network run."
I'm starting to get a little nervous. I really want this by Christmas.
If I were on Facebook, or Twitter I'd ask them about it.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
They announced quite a few tv titles coming this year that have yet to come and they have yet to do a 2nd season release of anything yet. Hanna Barbera releases have also slowed a bit. I think they got a bit more on their plate then they can keep up with. But there is no real early annoucement on their titles they just show up. So it could come any week just like many others. It would be nice if they could put out some sort of tentative release schedule of whats planned for the next 6 months and keep updating it.

mike caronia

Second Unit
This is great news!!!
I remember as a kid getting a tour of the network, I thought it was NBC, but maybe CBS...we got the chance to see the pilot of Logan's Run before it hit air. We were a focus group and I loved it!
Can't wait to see this again...probably not as good as I remember. ha!

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
i receive my set yesterday and have started watching the episodes. I am very interested in the last three episodes as they never aired on tv. I was only 9 when the show came out and vaguely remember some of the episodes.
I like how the series start with Logan and Jessica leaving the city, so you can see the recycle images from the movie in the episodes.
The interest thing about the series is that neither logan or jessica ever found sanctuary. However, when you watch different episodes then you can see sanctuary was all around them as they move from one area to another.
I also must admit that Ms Menzies (Mrs Ulrich) was a beautiful gal!! Jenny Agutter was a cutie in the movie, but not as special as Heather Menzies in the tv series.
I recommend picking up Logan Run TV set, especially if you are fan of the original movie!!!

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
My set arrived yesterday also. The picture quality isn't as great as I'd hoped for(quite a bit of dirt, and scratches) but it is decent enough. I like that WB included a small booklet that includes episode summary, and air dates. That is a plus. So far I just sampled the first disc. I plan on watching the entire series with my brother soon. He is also a big sci-fi fan(still have great memories of watching Planet of the Apes from 1974 on dvd with him).
I'm just glad this is a pressed dvd set, and not MOD.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
Hi Brian,
I did not notice anything with my picture quality. The quality to me appear to be very good. The only thing that do not look that great was the opening sequence, which shows clips from the episode. I have watched the bulk of the episodes and will complete the set over the next few days. I am like i mention earlier interested in the last three episodes as they never aired.
There is a rumor that Ryan Gosling is to play Logan in the re-boot of logan's run. It should be interesting to see how the re-boot materializes over the next few months.

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
So it would appear it hasn't been remastered then, right? It's a tad bizzare how some 'smaller' shows like that make it out on pressed discs, take Scarecrow & Mrs. King, while some even bigger more classic titles become MODs and remastered to boot.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I usually wait a bit on Mod Shows, Amazon had Season 3 of Cheyenne for $19.99 a few Days ago and I snatched it up.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
HenryDuBrow said:
So it would appear it hasn't been remastered then, right? It's a tad bizzare how some 'smaller' shows like that make it out on pressed discs, take Scarecrow & Mrs. King, while some even bigger more classic titles become MODs and remastered to boot.
It appear to me that it look re-mastered as the images were very crisp in my copy. If you watch the preview before the episode then you will see those look like normal shots, but the rest of the images look clean up. I would not say they did a complete remastered as the images of the dome, washington, city of dooms, etc were recycled images from the tv show. However, the outside shots look very good when they are in fields and/or by their vehicles. It does appear to me they did some clean up of the tape, but did not do a complete re-mastered as many of the images were recycled.
My guess is that it would have been too much much to re-do many of scenes to update them and it would not have been worth the cost. I am ok, if the sets are not completely re-mastered as long as the do some cleaning up of the images.
I have given up that the old sci-fi shows will go through a complete re-mastered with the exception of a few shows, like star trek. Star Trek was worth the investment as it pays for itself. However, some of the other shows may not have the same following.

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
Question is sometimes, if they even bother to clean something up a bit at all and then just leave it at that and not just use prints well kept. Could also be it's just been stored good without too much wear and tear, especially the unaired episodes must look quite nice I'd imagine. Heck, I don't know only that I'm getting it myself next month. :cool:

Nebiroth

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Richard Gregory
younger1968 said:
I have given up that the old sci-fi shows will go through a complete re-mastered with the exception of a few shows, like star trek. Star Trek was worth the investment as it pays for itself. However, some of the other shows may not have the same following.
And even with Star Trek, the primary purpose was to utlise the shows for broadcast HD - repeats are always good for making money and they used the Trek franchise as a honeypot to pull people into HD channels as well.
The BluRays were very much a side-show.
Certainly, TOS could have been vastly improved simply for it's first two DVD releases. It was not. Even the second DVD release, in the sets, was relatively poor considering the potential quality of the source material - they simply didn't want to eat into the profits, knowing full well that an unrestored Star Trek would likely sell just as many copies as a fully restored one. This despite the fact that DVD buyers were increasingly expecting quality products, not just whatever happened to be in the vault slapped onto disc with the only improvement over VHS being DVD's inherent higher quality reproduction of the source.
Of you want to find any show that has been treated with the utmost respect and restored and released to the highest possible standards then you need look no further than the classic Doctor Who releases. Thankfuly there is a dedicated team behind those with a genuine love for the show and the DVDs are superb.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
younger1968 said:
Hi Brian,
I did not notice anything with my picture quality. The quality to me appear to be very good. The only thing that do not look that great was the opening sequence, which shows clips from the episode.
You know, that is probably the case. I was just scanning through each episode, and the opening sequence on each(the meat of what I based my opinion on) are all pretty bad. I didn't dig too far into the actual episodes because I want to watch them at a later date. I just assumed the rest of the episodes were like quality. Sorry If I confused anyone about this. I am anxious to read reviews on this set. Also I applaud Wb for finally releasing this highly sought after title.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
Bryan^H said:
You know, that is probably the case. I was just scanning through each episode, and the opening sequence on each(the meat of what I based my opinion on) are all pretty bad. I didn't dig too far into the actual episodes because I want to watch them at a later date. I just assumed the rest of the episodes were like quality. Sorry If I confused anyone about this. I am anxious to read reviews on this set. Also I applaud Wb for finally releasing this highly sought after title.
Bryan,
The intros are bad. You will notice from time to time there are issues with the indiviudal episodes with the quality of the image. It appears some of the images revert back to the old footage. I have not yet completed the set, but will do so in the next day or so. Like i mentioned earlier that i am interested in last three episodes as they were never aired.
I am not complaining as i wanted this set, but i would have wish they put more effort into the set. The logan's run set reminds how the hawaii five-o S10 was put together, especially the images, which were poor. So, they could have rush this release out to gain so momentum for the film production that is schedule for re-make of logan's run.

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
I suppose if there's a remake coming, that's the main reason it's been released at all on DVD. They say though it's one of their most wanted titles, not sure if I'm buying that entirely but I'm still buying the set.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
Hey Henry,
I think classic sci-fi fans will picked any set that is classic science fiction/anthology. It is this reason that Ghost Story/Circle of fear, Night Gallery S3, Logan's Run TV, series, etc are popular. I am still waiting for the release of fantastic journey along with in search of (Leonary Nimoy), etc sets.
I have watched all the episodes of Logan's Run TV series. I have the following observations
1. There picture quality ranges from very good to very poor at times. The introductions are not touch and there are shots that still show dirt or have not been cleaned up
2. The unaired episodes are very good, but you can see they may have been grasping for stories as Logan's Run series progressed through the episodes. Sanctuary is mentioned, but only briefly in each episodes with more the episodes focusing on the team rescuing people or saving people from their sins/beliefs.
3. What i find interesting that Logan and his friend run into different humans along the way, but no real explanation of where these people came from or if the part of runners in the past. I still believe that Logan encounter various sanctuaries along his ways as there were old/young people.
4. I went to a site there were a few episodes in development that were never produced. A couple look interesting.

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
Hi Paul, that sounds good. I figured it would be a mixed bag like most of Warner's classic TV releases, but that the show is out is the important thing. It appears that the basic idea of Logan's Run is basically a great one, but more as a single story. Once it becomes a series they (the writers) ran into problems, and we find the main players dealing with the typical trials and tribulations of people. Seems like it was destined not to go on as stories would take them further away from the theme, but it still says a lot about TV then vs. now as I'd rather watch this.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
HenryDuBrow said:
Hi Paul, that sounds good. I figured it would be a mixed bag like most of Warner's classic TV releases, but that the show is out is the important thing. It appears that the basic idea of Logan's Run is basically a great one, but more as a single story. Once it becomes a series they (the writers) ran into problems, and we find the main players dealing with the typical trials and tribulations of people. Seems like it was destined not to go on as stories would take them further away from the theme, but it still says a lot about TV then vs. now as I'd rather watch this.
Hi Henry,
I am very passionate about classic tv, especially the acting and story lines. Logan's Run TV series excited me when it came out on DVD as it has been over 30+ years since i seen an episode other then a few that were posted on youtube. I also have the original movie with Michael York and the lovely Jenny Agutter as it was very good. I like the role of peter ustinov as the old man as he comedic lines (i.e. wrinkles, cats, etc.)
The TV series itself was a great idea, especially with the casting of Donald Moffat, Heather Menzies and Gregory Harrison. I think each of these people did an amazing job in their role. I actually really like REM as he reminded me of HAL from quantum leap with his suggestion about what happen to the planet and his ability to work with technology found along the way. The hovercraft vehicles used by Logan and the sandman were very good. It is unfortunate that Logan's Run never got a proper ending as the last episodes just shows them driving off as they continue to look for sanctuary.
People may be a little upset at the quality as mention earlier it does go back and forth between very good - good - poor. However, if people like classic Logan's run then this show is perfect addition to your collection. I was also surprised they did not add some extras as to promote the potential for a movie, i.e. discussions about the books or cast interviews with Gregory Harrison/Heather Menzies, etc. However, i suspect since it is an archive there was little done to get the set ready for consumers other then cleaning it up here and there.
I still think sci-fy tv and spacecast (in Canada) should re-look at their product offering and break space tv to classic space and/or current space. I would actually say anything

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
Those are cool lists, Paul. Compare all those with what's on the box today and many would blush at how stale TV is now mostly, even for drama. Spiked and gelled hairdos. Storywise you had the good old A-Z structures that made it so much fun, and even more importantly you had the familiar theatrically trained classic actors with individuality and charisma just as people. Very different types of characters and personalities, if you will. Looking forward to seeing Logan run and thank God for home entertainment.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
HenryDuBrow said:
Those are cool lists, Paul. Compare all those with what's on the box today and many would blush at how stale TV is now mostly, even for drama. Spiked and gelled hairdos. Storywise you had the good old A-Z structures that made it so much fun, and even more importantly you had the familiar theatrically trained classic actors with individuality and charisma just as people. Very different types of characters and personalities, if you will. Looking forward to seeing Logan run and thank God for home entertainment.
I think it is different era in hollywood with computer graphics technology taking over in movie production. I have friends of mine that watch both GI Joe and Transformers and said they were a joke as it was all about the technology and nothing about the scripts. You add in Megan Fox as the hot gal of the time to attract a certain demograhic then you will see what hollywood is about in terms movie production.
I think the generation that grew up pre-internet is a different generation the one post-internet. The problem is today tv shows with exception of a few just does not spike my entertainment interest.
Shows like Time Tunnel, especially their support cast was amazing. The actor did not make the money as they do today, so in the past you see great actors showing up on tv series. I like John Saxon in sci-fi roles, especially Dylan Hunt role. It is too bad that they could not have done more with dylan Hunt as part Gene Roddenbury work in the 1970s other then a few movies. You have to winder if Rod Sirling, Irwin Allen, Gene Roddenbury, etc were alive today what their feelings would be about today's tv.

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
Very different game and era now that's for sure, too slick and fluffy for my taste. I like it more filmic and rough around the edges, really miss that in most current productions. Luckily much classic TV has already been released but much still remains behind thick vault doors, and looking at what's released by the studios these days we get lots of titles still on the air. You'd think people would've just recorded them, so it surprises me there's this strategy for TV shows as if they're new movie releases.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks