What's new

Pioneer Elite VSXLX104 crossover vs Martin Logan Dynamo 600X sub (2 Viewers)

John Wachter

Auditioning
Periodically I'll first run the Martin Logan ARC mobile calibration and move the mic around to the different locations in the room, then run the Pioneer's MCACC. Paradigm studio 60 speakers set to small. I noticed when I'm done running the MACC it says the crossover is at 100. I thought it was more common to be 80, does 100 sound right?

I don't tweak the sub after calibrating it except volume, if I wanted to manually control anything I wouldn't be able to use the calibrated settings, and I MIGHT have to turn off the Pioneer's MACC settings to change the crossover (not at home right now)

It sounds ok, just wondering if it can sound better, but the calibration for both AVR and sub are there for a reason. Any input appreciated

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I have to guess a little here. Maybe @Dave Upton has more definitive input, but I'm not sure I'd use both ARC Mobile and MCACC. I suspect MCACC might screw up the subwoofer integration that you gained from ARC Mobile. Plus, MCACC is one of the worst room correction systems out there, so I'd hesitate to use it for that reason.

Regarding the crossover, I think 100Hz is fine, going by the specs for the speaker. People tend to set it too low for ideal performance. It also depends on the subwoofer, but my opinion is that 100Hz is probably a little better for your Paradigms than 80Hz.

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
The ARC in this case is for the sub only. It's fine (and good) to run it - as long as it's done before MCACC.

As @JohnRice stated, MCACC is pretty crappy, so I'm not sure i'd use it at all - but if it's sounding good to you, you're certainly fine to layer it on top of ARC mobile.

Crossover is dependent on what the room EQ sees - for example, even if the sub doesn't perform well from 80-100Hz, if you have a large mode/null at that frequency, a lower crossover can still yield better results. You'll only know for sure by measuring.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks