What's new

Logan's Run? (1 Viewer)

dhammer

Second Unit
Real Name
David
I am enjoying watching Logan's Run. It is kind of campy or corney but fun. But a few observations:
1) How could all these other sandmen find them so easily? In the first couple episodes I don't think they had a car but later they did. So no matter how far Logan and Jessica traveled, this sandmen with characteristic speed and resolve, are able to track them down like bloodhounds or Indian trackers. Even though it is their first time on the outside and it is all new to them also.
2) The basic plot, tthat he sandmen need to capture Logan and bring him back to the dome city to tell the people that Sanctuary doesn't exist makes little sense. In the dome city you live till 30 then you are killed. At least Francis is told the truth about carousel.
3) This show has to have some of the most annoying theme music.
Despite this, it is fun and wotrth buying.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
dhammer said:
I am enjoying watching Logan's Run. It is kind of campy or corney but fun. But a few observations:
1) How could all these other sandmen find them so easily? In the first couple episodes I don't think they had a car but later they did. So no matter how far Logan and Jessica traveled, this sandmen with characteristic speed and resolve, are able to track them down like bloodhounds or Indian trackers. Even though it is their first time on the outside and it is all new to them also.
2) The basic plot, tthat he sandmen need to capture Logan and bring him back to the dome city to tell the people that Sanctuary doesn't exist makes little sense. In the dome city you live till 30 then you are killed. At least Francis is told the truth about carousel.
3) This show has to have some of the most annoying theme music.
Despite this, it is fun and wotrth buying.
Hi david,
It could be via implants and/or the device in Logan's belt that could give off signals. If you notice many episodes the trackers follow them, but do not pick up their signals rate away while other episodes show the sandman in hot pursuit. In addition, there are many scouts used by the sandman to close the net on logan. So, it is entirely possible that equipment and sensors were able to tracked them through their scouts. There are few episodes were Francis does not even appear, so it could be with those episodes that they lost the trail of Logan.
The council that ran the city of dooms was also tracking francis as they had to rescue him a few time from capture. Logan also convince people he helped along the way to masked their trail and that could also lead to why sandman's tracking did not always lead to logan.
I may be over analyzing things as part of the show, but i was trying to make logical attempts to why sometimes we see the sandman and other times we do not.

dhammer

Second Unit
Real Name
David
Ok I finished all the episodes. I like it I don't love it. The original movie was awesome. It seems this show ran out of places to go. I mean the Night Visitors episode. What was that about? Logan's Run meets Dracula. It really seemed like they were reaching. I liked Gregory Harrison in it though. I still think it is worthy of buying and viewing if you like some soft Sci fi.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
I think the thing that annoyed me most is that despite all the distance they supposedly cover from one episode to the next they are *always* still in close driving range of the City of Domes which is a necessary gimmick to keep the Sandmen still able to go after them every other episode. But this means that much like the TV version of "Planet Of The Apes" we're just seeing endless wanderings in circles when "realistically" they should be putting more distance behind them ("Battlestar Galactica" was the first such show not to fall in this kind of trap; once they started out by leaving home, they never returned in proximity to it again!).
I also found it amusing how despite the fact they were driving a 200 year old and more obsolete vehicle, whenever they had a chance to steal a more sophisticated and faster one from the City of Domes they chose instead to just disable it and keep moving on in their own obsolete one. The reason for that is so we the viewer could always identify the "good guys" in the vehicle with different markings.
And yes, the "Night Visitors" episode proved they had run out of ideas. You can't do generic stuff that could have fit in any other contemporary show.
Supposedly, had the show continued, eventually Francis would have switched sides and joined them.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
dhammer said:
Ok I finished all the episodes. I like it I don't love it. The original movie was awesome. It seems this show ran out of places to go. I mean the Night Visitors episode. What was that about? Logan's Run meets Dracula. It really seemed like they were reaching. I liked Gregory Harrison in it though. I still think it is worthy of buying and viewing if you like some soft Sci fi.
Hi David,
I share your same concern, especially with the night visitors. The episode where they run into Gerald McRaney is ok, but it too was grasping a straws. The problem is how long can you literally drive around looking for sanctuary? It appears to me that each episode in its own way showed different types of sanctuary due to the fact there were people outside of the dorm. I did like REM's character as he added some real value to the show along looking at the beautiful Heather Menzie (mr ulrich).

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Quote:

Originally Posted by younger1968 /t/315752/logans-run#post_3921770
...along looking at the beautiful Heather Menzie (mr ulrich).

Then I'm sure you enjoyed "Carousel" where Heather got to reenact Jenny Agutter's scene in Logan's apartment in the original film.

Gary "the episodes aren't holding up for me like I hoped they would - nostalgia tricked me on this one" O.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
Gary OS said:
   Quote:
Then I'm sure you enjoyed "Carousel" where Heather got to reenact Jenny Agutter's scene in Logan's apartment in the original film.  :laugh:
Gary "the episodes aren't holding up for me like I hoped they would - nostalgia tricked me on this one" O.
Oh yeah, Heather was great playing the tease in carousel. Then again the outfit she wore was cute as well.
I did see on one of the logan's run site there was few episodes on drawing board before the show was cancelled that look interesting. I was just happy to get to see the episodes that were never aired. Maybe there is hope that Fantastic Voyage will come out in North America. I like see the magical fork!!

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
younger1968 said:
I was just happy to get to see the episodes that were never aired.
Don't know why you keep referring to the episodes as "never aired". They didn't air on CBS but when TNT ran the series in the early 90s, they went thru the full run of episodes several times over.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
Neil Brock said:
Don't know why you keep referring to the episodes as "never aired". They didn't air on CBS but when TNT ran the series in the early 90s, they went thru the full run of episodes several times over.
yes and no they never aired. Yes, they may have aired when it went into syndication, but they never aired with the original series. I am a person that never seen the three episodes in questions, so for me it was first time i seen them. I had a similar situation with 1974 Planet of Apes series when the liberator did not air with the original series, but did aired later on. I never seen that episode either until it came to dvd.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Neil Brock said:
And what you watched on TNT was cut, so you have never seen this series complete either. Buy the dvd set, and keep your "tape trading" holier than thou attitude to yourself.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
younger1968 said:
Maybe there is hope that Fantastic Voyage will come out in North America. I like see the magical fork!!
Well, since it's a Columbia Pictures Television series, and Sony has dipped their toes in doing TV Series as part of their MOD program, it could happen.
Neil Brock said:
People should be more clear and use the correct term of "never aired on the network" :) Didn't a couple (or all 3) actually air on Canadian Television right after the CBS cancellation?
younger1968 said:
... I had a similar situation with 1974 Planet of Apes series when the liberator did not air with the original series, but did aired later on. I never seen that episode either until it came to dvd... .
Ironic that this episode wasn't one of the 10 (of the 14) cut into the "TV Movie" Format.
8 years has to be some sort of record for an "un-aired episode" sitting on the shelf berween production and finally getting it's first U.S. Airing (on the Scifi Channel.)
Bryan^H said:
And what you watched on TNT was cut, so you have never seen this series complete either.
The Length of the TNT broadcasts were 47:30, what do the DVD episodes clock in as?

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Originally Posted by Jack P /t/315752/logans-run#post_3921768
I think the thing that annoyed me most is that despite all the distance they supposedly cover from one episode to the next they are *always* still in close driving range of the City of Domes which is a necessary gimmick to keep the Sandmen still able to go after them every other episode. But this means that much like the TV version of "Planet Of The Apes" we're just seeing endless wanderings in circles when "realistically" they should be putting more distance behind them ("Battlestar Galactica" was the first such show not to fall in this kind of trap; once they started out by leaving home, they never returned in proximity to it again!).

Many of these shows from the 70s - Planet of the Apes, Logan's Run, and the Incredible Hulk - are variations on The Fugitive. Some are better than others, some more successful than others, but the basics are the same.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
DeWilson said:
The Length of the TNT broadcasts were 47:30, what do the DVD episodes clock in as?
Most are 49:07, with a few clocking in at just over 48 minutes.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
younger1968 said:
yes and no they never aired. Yes, they may have aired when it went into syndication, but they never aired with the original series..
I'm not so sure you're even right about that. For years, I've heard that the last three episodes aired only on the East Coast, but not on the West Coast (or maybe just part of one coast did/didn't get them). There's a lot of conflicting information out there.
and what you watched on TNT was cut, so you have never seen this series complete either.
I think you're wrong, Bryan. Before I saw them on TNT, I had multi-generation copies taped from CBS, and there were no missing scenes in the TNT episodes, as I had watched the CBS copies enough times to have been able to spot a missing scene if there had been one. The only things missing from the TNT showings are mid-episode bumpers, and "scenes from next week's show" which are almost always cut for syndication anyway. The TNT episodes also never used the shorter version of the opening titles (I think that was just used for CBS reruns). The TNT ones even had the opening scenes intact, which I found to be a pleasant surprise.
If there is a variation in runtimes versus the DVDs, then perhaps the TNT episodes were slightly time-compressed... Regardless, they weren't edited (as a self-confessed 'tape trader', I was really picky about edits and could spot them a mile away if I was aiming to replace a poor quality copy with a fresh new one. They were uncut).
I'll happily retire those 20-year-old tapes now, though!

Nebiroth

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Richard Gregory
Fantastic Journey (which is the one with the tuning fork) was due out here in the UK, but the releasing label folded before they got it out and no-one picked it up.
Fantastic Voyage is the animated series (vaguely based on the film) about the shrinking machine - and that is out here here in the UK.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Nebiroth said:
Fantastic Journey (which is the one with the tuning fork) was due out here in the UK, but the releasing label folded before they got it out and no-one picked it up.
Fantastic Voyage is the animated series (vaguely based on the film) about the shrinking machine - and that is out here here in the UK.
I know I haven't seen Fantastic Journey since its initial run (ok, possibly an episode or movie-length sometime afterwards, but its been at least a few decades). You mention 'tuning fork'. I don't recall that as part of the show (faulty memory). If it was part of the show, was it used by Jared Martin? That would be strange, because he used a tuning fork to concentrate in War Of The Worlds.
David

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
"Fantastic Journey" I watched the pilot movie, which I thought was interesting in a "Lost" kind of way. And then the problem was that they jettisoned the more interesting characters from the pilot and retained the lesser interesting ones. I couldn't watch past the third episode because I just didn't find the leads interesting, especially Martin's Spock clone.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
AndyMcKinney said:
I'm not so sure you're even right about that. For years, I've heard that the last three episodes aired only on the East Coast, but not on the West Coast (or maybe just part of one coast did/didn't get them). There's a lot of conflicting information out there.
I think the episodes might have aired in Canada.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
David Weicker said:
I know I haven't seen Fantastic Journey since its initial run (ok, possibly an episode or movie-length sometime afterwards, but its been at least a few decades). You mention 'tuning fork'. I don't recall that as part of the show (faulty memory). If it was part of the show, was it used by Jared Martin? That would be strange, because he used a tuning fork to concentrate in War Of The Worlds.
David
Here is a link that talks about the tuning fork
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Fantastic_Journey
I know this forum is about Logan's Run, but i wanted to discuss fantastic voyage as it is another show i like to have on dvd.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks