What's new

Is the LOTR Blu-Ray due sooner than we think? (1 Viewer)

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I'm willing to bet they will release the theatrical versions first, followed by the extended maybe by the time Hobbit is released.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
I'll only be upgrading for the full Extended Cuts on BD so hopefully Warner realizes that there's a section (hopefully a large one) of potential buyers out here that will do the same.

After milking the cow to it's fullest on DVD there's no reason to try and stick it to LOTR fans by only offering the theatrical cut first and setting up for a future double dip on BD.

Warner has usually gone the classy route with their releases so I hope that doesn't change. Do it right the first time and offer both cuts Warner.

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB

Speaking of "the classy route," one (admittedly minor) thing worries me: the book-like cases used for the extended DVD editions were truly beautiful, a look that couldn't possibly be replicated in plastic blue cases. Here's hoping Warner/New Line gives us something on par with the DVD editions....

PattyFraser

Second Unit
Yes, and hopefully this time ALL the unused scenes will be on the disc. I understand the scene of Aragorn and Arwen meeting was filmed but hasn't been seen. Things like that I'd love to be able to access. Obviously these extra scenes may not be able to be branched in, cause the connecting scenes may not have been filmed. But I'd like to see everything that was filmed (except Arwen at Helm's Deep, of course.)

ATimson

Second Unit
Real Name
Andrew Timson
They did, but it required losing the audio commentaries and DTS track in order to have the disc space for both versions of the audio.

Simon Young

Stunt Coordinator
Whoa, what's with the animosity? It's hardly "re-editing" that I'm suggesting; simply giving the viewer the choice as to which scenes are added back in, if any. As far as I'm concerned the theatrical cuts are definitive. They may not capture the books in quite as much detail, but as films the original cuts work better. Therefore I don't view the extended editions as definitive; far from it. They have been marketed as such, but that's only natural. To me, they are a curiosity; an attempt to bring the films closer to the books. Yet they are still plagued by problems. Parts have been invented for comic relief; others seem rushed in terms of editing and special effects. And they're not even complete: Peter Jackson has said there are many more scenes that have yet to see the light of day, and that he plans a complete re-edit of all three films. My point is that by their very nature, these are evolving films. Beyond the versions that I first saw in theatres, I have no problem with the viewer being part of that.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Same goes for me. I won't buy these on Blu if there only the theatrical cuts as those are incomplete now that we have the EE's.

Simon Young

Stunt Coordinator
Is there anybody besides me who doesn't prefer the extended cuts? I feel like I'm the only one flying the flag here. :frowning:

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Like almost every extended cut, there's stuff I love that they added and stuff that I feel is better left out. And even if you are the only person who likes the theatrical cuts more, since they're most likely going to do the theatrical cut first, you win.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
I suspect you are greatly outnumbered.;)

Even though the extended cuts introduce other issues, the pacing on them is so much better, that they actually feel shorter when watching them. I've never revisited the original cuts after the EEs were released - they feel like Readers Digest condensed versions.

Jaxon's Dad

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Doug
I'll buy this even if it's the theatrical version only. I love the Extended Editions, but it'll be great to have these on Blu. I'll pony up for the EEs when they're released. In the meantime, I'll get to enjoy some high-def hobbits.

On a different note, does anyone else fear New Line will go DNR crazy with these films?

Nick Laslett

Stunt Coordinator
As long as Warners communicate with us their plans for these films, it is okay by me whatever release strategy they choose.

I'm happy if we have the Theatrical Cuts released across 2009 with an EE boxed set at the end of the year.

But I can see them going with the Theatrical Cuts in 2009 and the EEs in 2010.

LoTR is the kind of property where there will always be a large market for premium releases, you see this with the regular re-packaging of the hardback version of the novel.

I'm happy to wait, as long as the EEs are the best possible Blu-Rays they can be, quality is the most important factor for me.

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
Simon,

You are definitely not alone. I prefer theatrical versions of at least two of the Lord of the Rings films (I keep going back and forth on The Two Towers), and if only one version of the trilogy is released, I hope it's the theatrical versions. Of course, I enjoy the extended editions, too, and my real hope is that any Blu-ray release includes both versions. Even if they are released separately, I confess I'll probably end up purchasing both (as I did on DVD). I'm really flummoxed by the surprisingly prevalent attitude that the extended editions make the theatrical versions obsolete.

Simon Young

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks goodness! I can't think of many of the additional scenes that I couldn't live without, but I can think of several that I disliked or that disrupted the flow of the films. In ROTK, for instance, the scene of Gothmog limping after Eowyn broke up the flow of Aragorn et al's rampage, and as a result one of my fave music cues had to be rewritten. The re-editing of the Rohirrim's arrival to accommodate Gandalf facing the Witch King was sloppy. The scene needs to be re-scored, as right now the music fades out during the Rohirrim's charge and then fades back up several seconds later, after the original break point. Once the Mouth of Sauron has been killed, he and his horse simply vanish. That should have been fixed. Ghimli getting squeamish when stepping on the skulls? Tedious and undermines the seriousness of the scene. Similarly, unveiling the Army of the Dead halfway through the film ruins the original reveal which was much more effective. And these are all just problems with ROTK. I'll mention again the introduction of Lothlorien in FOTR, which rehashed dialogue and used early makeup and costume designs. Admittedly, like cafink I'm partial to many of the scenes, particularly those about the hobbits. But we need to be given the choice.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

Actually he isn't alone. While I think the extended cut of Fellowship is a better movie than the theatrical cut, I don't agree with the other two.

With the Two Towers I think its kind of a wash, the extended cut isn't startlingly better, but it doesn't hurt the film either.

Return of the King however I find the theatrical cut to be a MUCH better film. The extended cut is bloated and the pacing suffers as a result. The middle hour drags on and on and I'm just waiting for them to get to the point.

Doug

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

From what I understand New Line, for all intents and purposes, no longer exists other than just as a brand name. I believe they have been folded completely into Warner, so we are probably in good hands there.

Doug

Aragorn the Elfstone

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John
While I prefer the extended cuts, I do hope New Line releases the theatrical versions. These are the ones that I originally saw and fell in love with. I want them preserved and available on all future formats.

That said, the definitive version for me is the complete 11.5 hour epic that is The Lord of the Rings: Special Extended Edition. The added bits don't come off as bloated to me. They fill out the saga with wonderful character beats that truly make this the amazing film that it is. I won't disagree that the cuts made for the theater were probably appropriate for the individual films - but when it comes to the complete epic, I can't do without those moments.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

The cuts weren't "made for the theater". Jackson has stated that the theatrical cuts ARE his directors cuts and they are the versions he prefers. The extended cuts were more or less for the fans.

Doug

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Alone? No, never said that. Still outnumbered? Oh yes.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

I will wait for the EEs.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks