What's new

Is the LOTR Blu-Ray due sooner than we think? (1 Viewer)

Jonathan Kaye

Second Unit
Real Name
Jonathan Kaye

That's twice you've referred to 'RotF'; judging by the context, I'm guessing you're referring to 'RotK' (Return of the King)?
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Count me in for the Extended Editions if they are released on Blu Ray; that would easily be the tipping point for me to buy into the format. :D

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
That's pretty good news. I had figured that between the three DVD releases the current extras would have been definitive as thet stand. But to know that they're looking for ways of producing more is cool.

SVTStingRay

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Daniel
i would have thought so too but we still havent seen cut scenes, extended scenes that didnt make the cut, and my favorite, a gag reel.

if only the star wars saga would get this kind of attention. sigh

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
There's no street date, but HiDef Digest, the Bits, and others are reporting that the LotR theatrical set is now up for pre-order at Amazon and other e-tailers. Box art has been released (looks nice), but no details on extras. MSRP is $100. Supposed to be a 7-disc set.

I'm guessing we'll get the three films, with perhaps the various promotional extras incluided on the original theatrical DVDs (music videos, trailers, network promo specials, etc.). Given that there are so many discs I highly suspect they are including digital copies as well. This is all just my speculation, of course.

Bill Hunt at the Bits is reporting (as we've heard before) that PJ is saving the extended editions (and perhaps new extras) for a super-ultimate box set to be released in conjunction with the upcoming Hobbit films (which means no earlier than 2011).

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
I trust Bill, so I'm convinced it's coming this year. However, I suspect even Warner doesn't know the final specs at this point.

MatS

Screenwriter
no interest from me in the inferior theatrical cuts
upconverted dvds will sufice just fine until the EEs on BD

pass

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
While the theatrical IMHO is still enjoyable I would rather have the EE set of LOTR's. ;)

I would rather see the EE set of Lord Of The Rings be released on Bluray than the theatrical. The thing I am wondering is because of the lenght of the movies is branching out of the question? Is it impossible to offer both on the same disc?

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Yeah, who wants those crappy flicks anyway? 2.9 billion in worldwide box office, near universal critical acclaim, 30 Oscar nominations and 17 wins. Nothing special about those cuts. ;)

Seriously, I find it amusing that people scream (and rightly so) every chance they get about not having the theatrical cuts of the original Star Wars trilogy available, yet the LotR theatrical cuts are treated with such disdain. They're part of motion picture history and I for one am glad PJ and New Line are making them available in the superior BluRay format.

Jefferson Morris

Supporting Actor
A crass move, withholding the EEs for a future double-dip. But not unexpected. I just hope they sweeten this release with something new (other than 1080p and lossless sound, obviously) that we haven't seen in previous editions.

Still, I'm thrilled to finally hear something semi-concrete. LOTR is the reason I put together a front projection home theater in my basement. I'm a Sunday School sucker when it comes to these films, so I'm buying whatever they release. Then buying it again. And again. Shit.

The only EE that I actually prefer to the theatrical version is TTT. While I love the material added to FOTR (my favorite movie of all time), I still don't think the extra stuff really makes it a substantively better movie--it's a four-star film either way, in my book. And I think the extended ROTK, while it still contains some cool stuff, is just too bloody long.

--Jefferson Morris

Todd smith

Supporting Actor

The problem is for these posters you are refering to, once they see the EE, the TE simply does not feel complete.......I am in this group. I will give these a rent and will hold off on a buy until the "real" version comes out;)

Ryan-G

Supporting Actor

That is basically my sentiment. I don't think i will buy the TE.

For me, at least, the difference between this and Star Wars is this:

With LotR, it is based upon the novels, and the EE are a more complete representation of the novels than the TE. IMO, the TE were geared towards the very maximum attention span of the average audience, and not necessarily the fan of the series. IMO, the TE were a comprimise.

In contrast, the SW trilogy was essentially the origin point, rather than a translation from a more complete novel series. So changing SW significantly changes the source. I say significantly, 'cause I'm fine with adding in some CG to fill backgrounds, but I'm not ok with Han shooting second.

Anyways, to me, the TE are the lesser material as they are less complete representation of what the film attempted to capture than the EE.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
At least 3 years more years to wait for the Extended Cuts.

The Hobbit is slated for 2012.

Why sell it to us just once, when they can sell is again and again and again and again and again and again.............................

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
I'd like to have both in one package, but this makes business sense. I am a big fan of the TE's, and often prefer them to the longer cuts (I hardly consider them inferior). It's not the length, but the pacing and content.

Being asked to pay $70 for the TE, and then asked to pay $99 or so (?) three years later really isn't back-breaking. It's business.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks