1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Invasion of the Body Snatchers (Allied Artists, 1956) ?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Richard--W, Nov 13, 2011.

1. Richard--W

Richard--W Banned

[​IMG] Who doesn't want to see this classic on Blu-ray? Invasion of the Body Snatchers is an intelligent, visceral thriller and seriously good storytelling for any genre or any film at any budget level. This is what cinema is all about. The lurid title is at odds with the story but I wouldn't want it to be called anything else. This is one of the great sci-fi / horror films. Its release marked a defining moment in 1950s cinema that still reverberates today. I hope for a Blu-ray that will give us the option of watching both versions, the version with the opening and closing that Don Siegel intended, and the version we've all come to know imposed by the studio. That's fair, isn't it. The DVD's issued by Republic / Artisan are out-of-print. Who owns the film now? [​IMG]

2. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell Played With Dinosaurs Member

Johnny Angell
    I would love to have this in blu. Add a making of and a commentary and I'm there.

3. DaveM4964

DaveM4964 Agent

Count me in. I own the dvd and it leaves alot to be desired. The movie deserves much better!

4. Douglas Monce

Douglas Monce Producer

Apparently the film was photographed with 1.85:1 finder markings, and Superscope was imposed on the film sometime in the middle of filming. I'd like to see both a 1.85:1 and 2.00:1 version of the film. Doug

5. Richard--W

Richard--W Banned

The aspect ratio was changed mid-shoot? How does that sort out? Was every scene shot twice? Are there two different versions with different takes? Or should the film be an edit of two different aspect ratios?

6. John Hodson

John Hodson Producer

John
    There's not a huge difference between the ARs. 'Body Snatchers' was shot flat then converted to the dreaded Superscope format as described here. No need for multiple takes or anything like that.

7. ahollis

ahollis Producer

Allen

A technical pan-scan to cut off the top and bottom portions of the screen to make it conform to the SuperScope ratio.

8. Richard--W

Richard--W Banned

Yeah I get it. Obviously, instead of cropping one to match the other, both aspect ratios should be respected for a Blu-ray. It wouldn't be the first time. Didn't Kubrick insist on something similar for Dr. Strangelove. That's insane, changing aspect ratios in the middle of principle photography.

9. dana martin

dana martin Cinematographer

Dana Martin
    Lionsgate....... Held Hostage....... along with High Noon, when if ever is Lionsgate going to get to the "classic" titles that they own,

and + 1 to the list of waiting

10. Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek Cinematographer

Joel Henderson
    High Noon has a UCLA restoration that looked stunning even in SD. Invasion of the Body Snatchers has an almost 20-year old laserdisc transfer. DISCREPENCY?

11. JoHud

JoHud Producer

Joe Hudak
    High Noon actually got a good DVD release (rare for a Republic title). I'd compare it more with The Quiet Man or Johnny Guitar languishing in their holdings.

12. dana martin

dana martin Cinematographer

Dana Martin
    i have the last three official releases Invasion, Quiet Man, and High Noon, how many years are we into this format? outside of the titles that were released under the StudioCanal collection can anyone name a pre-1970 title that Lionsgate has put out on blu ray

13. Richard V

Richard V Screenwriter

Richard
    Would love to see a proper Bluray treatment, with inclusion of the alternate ending to the movie.

14. Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H All Things Film Junkie
    Supporter

Stephen J. Hill
    Three versions, please. Superscope, with and without the Don Siegel beginning and ending, and a less extreme widescreen, either 1.85:1 or 1.66:1. Of course, there is the rumour that the OCN is gone and all we are left with is the Superscope IP. I'd love for that to be disproven.

15. benbess

benbess Cinematographer

Ben Hufbauer
    High Noon is available in HD from Netflix streaming. It looks fantastic.

16. Yorkshire

Yorkshire Screenwriter

This was shown on C4 HD a couple of months ago in the original SuperScope ratio. Here's hoping. Steve W

17. John Hodson

John Hodson Producer

John
    With all the caveats applied to the Superscope process, I thought that HD broadcast looked rather nice; at least as nice as it is likely to be.

18. Richard--W

Richard--W Banned

Evidently, Don Siegel and Ellsworth Fredericks composed the film in 1:85 while keeping it TV safe in full-frame. Which means it will okay in 1:66. But they composed for 1:85 because they were telling the story in 1:85. So 1:85 is the correct aspect ratio a Blu-ray should be in, with a full-frame option perhaps.

19. Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek Cinematographer

Joel Henderson

It looked fantastic when HDNet showed it last year as well.