What's new

t1g3r5fan

Reviewer
Real Name
Mychal Bowden
One of more overlooked filmmakers in the latter half of the 20th Century, Philip Kaufman has delivered an accomplished body of work as a writer and director. Among his accomplishments include The Right Stuff (1983), The Unbearable Lightness of Being (1988) and Henry & June (1990) as a director and also penned the script for The Outlaw Josey Wales (1976) – which he was set to direct until disagreements with Clint Eastwood put the kibosh on that – and provided the story for Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981) with George Lucas. One of his best known and acclaimed efforts was a remake of the Cold War era science fiction classic Invasion of the Body Snatchers; released on home video over the years by MGM, Arrow Video and Shout Factory on DVD and Blu-ray, Kino has licensed the movie for its UHD Blu-ray debut.

Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978)

Released: 22 Dec 1978
Rated: PG
Runtime: 115 min...

Continue reading...

Last edited:

Charles 22

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Roy
There's been many a time I've argued with myself on which version of this movie is the best. I think technically, if you gave this and the original to the same person, they would prefer this one, for it having color for a start. This one, as well, was definitely weirder, but the original, maybe more sort of subliminally creepy. Taken entirely into context, the original was probably more impactful for it's time that this movie was.

One thing I can say about this move for sure, it may be the best remake I've ever seen. That dog with the human head WOAH!

Real Name
James
Kaufman's "Invasion" works so well because it successfully re-envisions the Siegel film (while giving it a loving wink or two). Veronica Cartwright attended a screening here a few years back and it was great to see the film again on a theater screen. The remake is very rooted in post-hippie San Francisco of the 1970s. It's been less successfully remade since then, but it seems time for new version, perhaps with a new political slant mirroring the left/right wing of today's American culture. (Can you image going to sleep as a Biden Democrat and waking up a Trump Republican or vice versa? Horrors!!)

Charles 22

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Roy
Kaufman's "Invasion" works so well because it successfully re-envisions the Siegel film (while giving it a loving wink or two). Veronica Cartwright attended a screening here a few years back and it was great to see the film again on a theater screen. The remake is very rooted in post-hippie San Francisco of the 1970s. It's been less successfully remade since then, but it seems time for new version, perhaps with a new political slant mirroring the left/right wing of today's American culture. (Can you image going to sleep as a Biden Democrat and waking up a Trump Republican or vice versa? Horrors!!)
I enjoy your last paradox question. BTW, thanks to the photo above, I see that our old boy Spock was in it. I haven't seen that movie since it was released in theaters, so knowing Spock is in it now, just adds that little bit of extra to it. Although, to tell you the truth, if I looked at Leonard's work over the years, had he not played Spock, I don't think he would have stood out to me at all.

His taking on Spock really put him in a different place among film fans, than he otherwise would have been. And it's not necessarily because he did such a great job with Spock, I think, anyway, but just that he was cemented with such a different character as Spock for so long, a character not too much unlike some of us. I'm pointing at myself somewhat here
🤣
. The ultimate question is, was I something of a Spock all along, or did Spock grow on me? Oddly enough, I hate science pretty much, but I do dig philosophy, and I think a good-sized chunk of Spock was precisely a philosopher.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicos18
Recent bookmarks