What's new

t1g3r5fan

Reviewer
Real Name
Mychal Bowden
Today we dig into Thunderbolt and Lightfoot. By the end of the 1970’s, Michael Cimino would win an Oscar for his sophomore directorial effort The Deer Hunter (1978) and would be facing cinematic oblivion with the impending failure of his epic western Heaven’s Gate (1980), which was still in production. This rapid rise and fall would stand in stark contrast to where he was at the beginning of the decade, when he was a director of TV commercials and was getting his foot in the door of Hollywood as a screenwriter with Silent Running (1972). While working on the Dirty Harry sequel Magnum Force (1973), Cimino caught the notice of Clint Eastwood, who gave him the opportunity to make his directorial debut with Thunderbolt and Lightfoot. Previously released on DVD by MGM (United Artists originally released the movie theatrically), twice in a limited-edition Blu-ray by Twilight Time (HTF’s Matt Hough reviewed...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

Wayne Klein

Second Unit
It’s a terrific film but Inhave to wonder even with the upgrade to 4K with HDR, etc. how much of an improvement this will be over the revised Blu-ray from Kino.

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
Great review! The image on the 4K UHD is gorgeous. Clint Eastwood and Jeff Bridges give career high performances here. The commentary from Nick Pinkerton is fantastically well-researched - I think it must be one of the best commentaries Kino have put out.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Great review! The image on the 4K UHD is gorgeous. Clint Eastwood and Jeff Bridges give career high performances here. The commentary from Nick Pinkerton is fantastically well-researched - I think it must be one of the best commentaries Kino have put out.
Thank you for the commentary info. I still enjoy listening to a good one. Clinches it for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks