What's new

t1g3r5fan

Reviewer
Real Name
Mychal Bowden
Don’t Look Now. Beginning his career as a cinematographer – with credits such as The Masque of the Red Death (1964), Fahrenheit 451 (1966) and Far from the Madding Crowd (1967) – Nicolas Roeg made his directorial debut sharing the director’s chair with Donald Cammell on the cult thriller Performance (1970). However, he really caught the attention of critics with his first solo directorial effort, Walkabout (1971); for his sophomore solo effort, he brought to life a short story from author Daphne du Maurier – whose novel Rebecca and short story The Birds got unforgettable cinematic adaptations done by Alfred Hitchcock – Don’t Look Now. Previously released on both DVD and Blu-ray by Paramount and a UHD Blu-ray release in 2019 by Studiocanal, the Criterion Collection has revisited their past Blu-ray release and given the movie its UHD Blu-ray debut here in the US.

Don't Look Now...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
I guess it was inevitable. Here we have a stellar 4K/UHD of Don't Look Now from Criterion; and not too long after my having made purchase of their BD.

Clearly, this title and transfer demands that dastardly double-dip. All in all, though, when it comes down to a Roeg, Malick or Powell & Pressburger, none of these upgrades seems to bother me at all. Indeed, they are welcomed.

Thank you t1g3r5fan for this review.

Sold.

Last edited:

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
What would Criteriion do differently with the transfer over the Studio Canal release? Or, is it just a matter of the same transfer but Studio Canal has overseas rights and Criterion has domestic?

Anyone on the fence about this title in 4k, I haven't seen the Criterion release but if the transfer is the same, the Studio Canal one is spectacular.

Reactions: PMF

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
What would Criteriion do differently with the transfer over the Studio Canal release? Or, is it just a matter of the same transfer but Studio Canal has overseas rights and Criterion has domestic?

Anyone on the fence about this title in 4k, I haven't seen the Criterion release but if the transfer is the same, the Studio Canal one is spectacular.
The compression Criterion use to encode their 4K UHDs and the filtering they apply, makes their titles often inferior to the UK counterparts. Fidelity In Motion did the StudioCanal Don't Look Now disc and they are the best in the business.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Nice review of one of my top ten films of all time. I've seen it theatrically a half-dozen times in different venues, and it never looked truly stellar. The 4K is probably as near to a definitive release as we'll ever see. One suggestion: the final line of your review might better be protected by a "spoiler" box.

Wayne Klein

Second Unit
The compression Criterion use to encode their 4K UHDs and the filtering they apply, makes their titles often inferior to the UK counterparts. Fidelity In Motion did the StudioCanal Don't Look Now disc and they are the best in the business.
I would want to see. Comparison of the two. Is there one?

Wayne Klein

Second Unit
Always thought this Roeg’s version of a giallo film filtered through his more artistic sensibility. It’s a brilliant film. The atmospheric sense of dread with this film is so overwhelming.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks