What's new

t1g3r5fan

Reviewer
Real Name
Mychal Bowden
Let’s dig into Days of Heaven.
Before establishing himself as one of the most poetic filmmakers of the American New Wave and beyond, Terrence Malick got his start as a screenwriter, making uncredited contributions to Dirty Harry and Drive, He Said (both 1971) and writing the script for the Paul Newman buddy comedy Pocket Money (1972). When Paramount Pictures deemed Deadhead Miles – a film that he scripted – unreleasable, Malick made the leap to the director’s chair to direct his own scripts, starting with Badlands (1973). In an ironic twist, Paramount would end up taking the mantle for Malick’s sophomore feature, Days of Heaven. Criterion has returned to the film for the third time – following a DVD and Blu-ray release – for its UHD Blu-ray debut.

Days of Heaven (1978)

Released: 06 Oct 1978
Rated: PG
Runtime: 94 min

Director: Terrence Malick
Genre: Drama, Romance...

Continue reading...

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
Great review! No doubt in my mind that this was one of the top ten 4K UHD releases last year. Already seen this twice, during the holiday season, just to get lost in the mood. A considerable upgrade from the blu-ray, when projected.

Reactions: PMF

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
I saw it twice in the theater when it opened. Very beautiful visually. One of my favorite opening title sequences brilliantly using Saint Saen's gorgeous The Aquarium.

• Appreciate
Reactions: PMF

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I watched this 4K last night, and it looks amazing. Criterion absolutely did this masterpiece of cinematography justice on this release.

I will echo our friend Robert Harris, who said in his 2010 review of the Blu-ray that it belongs in any serious film library.

It’s great to see Richard Gere and Brooke Adams looking so young and vibrant, and it’s even better to see Sam Shepard, who IMO didn’t make enough films.

Last edited:

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
I watched this 4K last night, and it looks amazing. Criterion absolutely did this masterpiece of cinematography justice on this release.

I will echo our friend Robert Harris, who said in his 2010 review of the Blu-ray that it belongs in any serious film library.

It’s great to see Richard Gere and Brooke Adams looking so young and vibrant, and it’s even better to see Adam Shepard, who IMO didn’t make enough films.
I think you mean Sam S., not Alan.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks