What's new

UHD Criterion's “Trainspotting”, 1996 4K UHD V Blu-Ray thoughts… (1 Viewer)

Wes Candela

Visual Storytelling Enthusiast
Premium
Real Name
Wes Candela
Viewed the new Criterion 4K UHD release of Danny Boyle's “Trainspotting”, 1996...
something seems off.

This Release is going to cause many discussions.

Comparing it to the Blu-ray's, and simply watching the film in Dolby Vision...
The color palette has been altered, greatly, and the use of HDR has made this film. Look both new and interesting, dark, and different from any other previous release I've ever seen.

everybody that's fans of capsaholic and screen capture sites , before you complain I am simply showing you a few comparisons between the previous Blu-ray and the new 4K.

I will wait until the review has been posted by Home Theater Forum before I get too into this

but, here are screen grab comparisons between the previous release on Blu-ray from 2017 and the new Criterion 4K UHD

… The HDR was overdone if you ask me. Making aspects of certain scenes so dark that certain TVs will not show you detail that was plainly visible before.
this might be a choice by the Director but I think it was a poor choice in my opinion

see for yourself

and again, don't base any opinions on my screen captures about purchasing because it's definitely worth the purchase, it's just… Starkly different now.
The clarity is beautiful and the scan is gorgeous but the HDR has been turned to 11.

Any thoughts? Let me know what you think.

The top images are the 4K
The bottom images are the 2017 Blu-ray

Wes Candela-1.jpeg
Wes Candela-1.jpeg

Wes Candela-1.jpeg

Wes Candela-1.jpeg

Wes Candela-1.jpeg

Wes Candela-1.jpeg

Wes Candela-1.jpeg

Wes Candela-1.jpeg

Wes Candela-1.jpeg
Wes Candela-1.jpeg

Wes Candela-1.jpeg
Wes Candela-1.jpeg

Wes Candela-1.jpeg
Wes Candela-1.jpeg

Last edited:

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
I did buy the Criterion UHD. To my eye, from the pictures you posted, I like the look of this new release more than the previous one.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
I’ve never seen this film, but I can say from the one screen grab that the grass going from green to brown is abhorrent. To my eyes, anyway.
If you’re going to watch it, be forewarned that there’s a scene that you’ll be floored about- not comical at all. The film is regarded as a comedy, but in a very black sense.

Wes Candela

Premium
Real Name
Wes Candela
I did buy the Criterion UHD. To my eye, from the pictures you posted, I like the look of this new release more than the previous one.
Yeah, when I watched it, I was taken back by the changes, but as I continue to watch it

yeah, when I watched it, I was taken back by the changes, but as I continue to watch it, Marc Renton a.k.a. Ewan McGregor looks probably strung out on heroin now

The movie has more of a Bleeker look to it. the color almost looks correct but it’s that scene where they discussed Sean Connery‘s career in the park after quitting heroin The shadows over Johnny Lee Miller’s face, blackout, his mouth completely

The shadows over Johnny Lee Miller‘s face darken the details image of his mouth.

When you watch in Dolby Vision, you can make out the details, but the shadows are harsh.

However, the clarity is beautiful and the is gorgeous.
I mean it’s Criterion.

Wes Candela

Premium
Real Name
Wes Candela
I’ve never seen this film, but I can say from the one screen grab that the grass going from green to brown is abhorrent. To my eyes, anyway
It's a radical change

This is the image from the scan done for the Blu-ray release ten years back I believe.
Wes Candela-1.jpeg

Grass is brown.

In the 4K
Wes Candela-1.jpeg

It's now green.

Same with this scene, the Blu-ray

Wes Candela-1.jpeg

Shows a bit more natural landscape of “the great outdoors” (from film)

But now,
Wes Candela-1.jpeg

It's a lush sumptuous vista.

I'd like to say I'll call up Danny Boyle and ask him why he decide to change the image so drastically.

Maybe 4K is Showing us what he Intended to convey back in 1996 upon films releas convey back in 1996 upon films release?

Maybe he took another look at it, and said “ what I need to fix a few things here, this would look better, this color would look better, this needs to look more dark…”
but I don't have Dannys phone number.

Wes Candela

Premium
Real Name
Wes Candela
@Jeffrey D
If you’re going to watch it, be forewarned that there’s a scene that you’ll be floored about- not comical at all. The film is regarded as a comedy, but in a very black sense.
agreeing with Jeffrey on this, there are scenes I still cannot watch without a great amount of pain

this is not the music man, it's a hard watch at points

Brilliant filmmaking, but a hard watch.

Wes Candela

Premium
Real Name
Wes Candela
I have changed my mind upon a second viewing.
This looks absolutely brilliant

Brilliant

choose your future choose life

Elblancochocolate

Auditioning
Real Name
Charles
The HDR is pretty hard for me to adjust to but I'm loving it so far. Renton actually looks more of a heroin addict somehow. The colors are brighter, more lush and it works for me. This is a top 5 movie for me and ive seen it too many times to count, since it's release. I'm pretty sure Ive had it on every other format and this one, so far, is the best version of I've seen, except for in theaters.

The worst toilet in Scotland scene was pretty amazing. It really does look like the absolute worst toilet in Scotland now.

My main complaint is the 5.1 mix. Not sure if I need to do some fine tuning but it seems muted, a little bassy for me. I don't have this issue with other Criterion releases or other 4k/blu ray discs. The opening lust for life scene didn't have the punch like I expected.

On a side note, can someone verify something for me? I've read that the actors overdubbed some of their dialogue for the American release due to the accents being too thick for us to understand. Is that true? If so, what version would Criterion release? If this is true, I'd love to see the actual version without the overdubs.

Wes Candela

Premium
Real Name
Wes Candela
The HDR is pretty hard for me to adjust to but I'm loving it so far. Renton actually looks more of a heroin addict somehow. The colors are brighter, more lush and it works for me. This is a top 5 movie for me and ive seen it too many times to count, since it's release. I'm pretty sure Ive had it on every other format and this one, so far, is the best version of I've seen, except for in theaters.

The worst toilet in Scotland scene was pretty amazing. It really does look like the absolute worst toilet in Scotland now.

My main complaint is the 5.1 mix. Not sure if I need to do some fine tuning but it seems muted, a little bassy for me. I don't have this issue with other Criterion releases or other 4k/blu ray discs. The opening lust for life scene didn't have the punch like I expected.

On a side note, can someone verify something for me? I've read that the actors overdubbed some of their dialogue for the American release due to the accents being too thick for us to understand. Is that true? If so, what version would Criterion release? If this is true, I'd love to see the actual version without the overdubs.
Hey
1706657575702.gif

happy to meet a fellow trainspotting lover

What's on the menu for this evening, sir?

So yes, I'm going to agree with you after two watchings this looks phenomenal, easily the best it's looked since 1996 in my eyes

I would love to compare it with my Criterion laserdiskLaserDisc except I don't have a player Anymore.
I also was a bit let down by the lack of thunder in the opening Lust for Life sequence
I have gone between both soundtrack options stereo and five 5.1, stereo has the clarity and a clearer high-end but the DTS-HD MA does the job.

I was also concerned about the cut that was going to be released to us.

To answer your question about which version this is, this is the uncut version from the UK

Not the North American re-dubbed version.

Let me know if you have any other questions that I can maybe answer I hope this has helped

let me know if you have any other questions that I can maybe answer I hope this is helped

IMG_4436.png

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
I wasn’t aware that there even was an American dubbed version. Even though Begbie is not easy to decipher, I would not want a different track to listen to.

Wes Candela

Premium
Real Name
Wes Candela
I wasn’t aware that there even was an American dubbed version. Even though Begbie is not easy to decipher, I would not want a different track to listen to.
Yes, I remember back in 97 or 1998 hearing about the cast having to re-dub some of their parts for an American release because Danny Boyle and crew were afraid too much would be lost to the American audience due to the heavy accents. And he did not want to subtitle the whole film.

That being said, I have not heard of that version since DVD.

There's probably a video out there on it

I found this one scene on Reddit of that American version

Not all dialogue was re-dubbed just some scenes

I remember the big bee scene where he explains/lies about the pool game. He won specifically having to be re-dubbed.

I believe this is that version:

and here is spuds interview, which states it has been also re-dubbed

Last edited:

Wes Candela

Premium
Real Name
Wes Candela
Honestly, once you watch the American dubbed version, it is not that much easier to understand hahaha

But I haven't seen it since the theater
I just posted the link up above I believe of the American dubbed sequence

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
Saw this several times in 1996 - it was THE film in the U.K. for students to go to :) I’d don’t think there has ever been a good release of this film on disc and in my eyes this seems to be the most accurate one as I can recall. I would not be surprised that some of the colour changes may well reflect the characters perspective and use of heroin etc in a lot of moments as I remember this a lot

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Watching the Criterion UHD now. A massive improvement over the previous BluRay- the scene where Spud purposely fucks up his job interview- in the BluRay, the video is unstable- kind of moves around the screen. The UHD is rock solid. Ecstatic that I did buy the new Criterion.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks