What's new

HTF REVIEW: "Pulp Fiction" Collector's Edition (Highly Recommended)(with screenshots) (1 Viewer)

Jason Whyte

Screenwriter
"Still no word on if the Canadian release will have awful bilingual covers? *shudder*"

They aren't, but the Alliance Atlantis logos ARE stapled on the bottom like every other current release. I believe that they will be somewhat similar to the recent "Amelie" disc, where the outer packaging is MOSTLY the same, but the discs and spine will still have the odd AA logo here and there. Just as long as the disc isn't fudged up.

Oh, how I long for the old days of "Distributed in Canada by Alliance Atlantis" and "Version Francias Incluse" stickers. Apparently that wasn't good enough....

Jason

Gui A

Supporting Actor
Marc, amazon.com STILL bypasses customs!
There's some $5 off coupons over at DVDtalk... They only cover shipping, but it's something.

I have refused to buy ANYTHING from Alliance Atlantis ever since The Others came out. And then there was the Traffic issue where they forgot the spine number.

Anyway, some other big titles that Alliance will most likely screw up that I pre-ordered:
E.T.
Back to the Future
Hard Day's Night

Tim RH

Second Unit
Anyway, some other big titles that Alliance will most likely screw up that I pre-ordered:
E.T.
Back to the Future
Hard Day's Night
The only one out of those that you might have to worry about will be A HARD DAY'S NIGHT. Alliance doesn't have any affiliation with Universal titles though (that I'm aware of).

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
No, Kevin, there wasn't.
Digital and analog track one were soundtrack, DD 5.1 was on the other analog track.
Just briefly looking at the listings here, I think the DVD certainly covers all the Criterion LD material and more (like the Siskel and Ebert bit and the 2 film reviews). And the LD certainly didn't have the Jackrabbit Slim's menu included. :)

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
anyone else noticed from the scans of the packaging that Miramax is using the same annoying, impossible to remove coupon-sticker that Dreamworks used on Shrek?
It's on the wrapping, not the actual cardboard. No problems with that.

The packaging for this and JB are awesome, as was already mentioned by Jon.

Gui A

Supporting Actor
The only one out of those that you might have to worry about will be A HARD DAY'S NIGHT. Alliance doesn't have any affiliation with Universal titles though (that I'm aware of).
Actually, on the shrinkwrap of most new Universal releases, you'll see both logos printed in white ink... Alliance distributes them too.
Universal also does ugly bilingual covers.

Jeff

Supporting Actor
Marc, it will say which is which. I believe the first entry is the import one. It's also the one that shows a picture of the cover.

Jeff

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Looking forward to this DVD.

Just wondering, since you haven't seen the movie in 7 years, which I find odd for a movie buff, how did you draw the comparisons with the first DVD transer? Did you watch the first DVD before or after viewing the Pulp Fiction SE just now?

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Chris,

I never opened the shrinkwrap off the
initial release of PULP FICTION. As with
more than half my collection, it sat in
shrinkwrap.

I watched bits and pieces of the ORIGINAL
transfer shortly after watching the new one
in order to compare scenes.

Regards

Joseph_mx

Stunt Coordinator
I already have my dvd of Pulp Fiction:CE and must say that it is terrific WOW. :D Thanks Ron for the review and the subtitles info.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Ron,
Thats funny because like you, I haven't gotten to sitting down to watch Pulp Fiction yet either! So crazy. I have had the video tape for like 3 years (before my DVD and HTF interests) and I have watched it 2 or 3 times I think, but I haven't view the video tape for almost 2 years (about the time I got into DVD 's). I even have 2 Pulp Fiction LD's (a regular? release and the DTS LD) and I still haven't gotten around to viewing it. So weird. Oh well, I did of course view ALL of the extra's on the DVD. Glad there's lots of new stuff on there. In a word, how does the Reservoir Dogs SE compare to the Pulp Fiction and Jackie Brown SE's? I mean, roughly relatively speaking? Is there a REservoir Dogs DVD review on here? I should look ;)

William Ward

Supporting Actor
Just a quick question, I'll be picking my copy tomorrow night after work:
Did BV quit the Vista Series????
These are packaged similar to Unbreakable but no VS logos or anything.
Or is Mirimax trying to dump Disney.... ;)

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
I only have the Criterion LD, I never wasted money with the first DVD release with that Criterion in the house.
I have just touched on some supplements, but I like them. It's been awhile since I went through the LD so I don't remember if the Siskel and Ebert show was on it or not. But it's on the DVD so that's all that matters now. :)
I like the documentary thing that is on there. Pretty interesting stuff.
I watched the first 20 minutes of the Quick Facts subtitles. Let me say that it's DENSE with info. Almost constantly providing something to read. Like Pop-Up Videos on steroids.
Like I said, I can't compare to the previous disc, but I thought that this version looked pretty good. Colors especially. Maybe some softness, but I couldn't say for sure. I didn't put the LD in to compare framing or anything, but I felt pretty satisfied.
The DTS sounded solid. It's funny because sometimes the dialog dwarfs the effects sounds (which is actually a good thing), like when Jackson knocks over the table early on it sounds distant. But some of the car sounds and gunshots are very full and loud, the music sounds terrific, and there are one or two good directional moments. I even noticed that the ambient sounds still sound great (crickets, sounds from other apartments when Bruce is walking around, etc).
I noticed that the Jack Rabbit Slims menu doesn't specifically list a "Derwood Kirby" burger, which is too bad.
BTW, I had a Vanilla Coke during that scene. I just had to. Had a drink whenever Vincent Vega did. ;) If only I had made a nice steak too.

Jon_Are

Senior HTF Member
I'll be heading out to Best Buy tomorrow at store opening time. They're offering Pulp Fiction & Jackie Brown for $15.99 each.

If you buy both, you get a free DVD (From Dusk Til Dawn).

Can't beat that!

Jon

Marc_Savoie

Stunt Coordinator
If the PF and JB DVDs arwe indeed dealyed 2 week for Canadians (which I will surely find out when I go to buy them at Futire Shop tomorrow) I will pick them up when I head down to North Carolina for a weekend at the end of August....
But that better not have to happen!!!!!!!!!Argh!

Jenna

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeanette Howard
If you buy both, you get a free DVD (From Dusk Til Dawn). Can't beat that.
You can if you already own From Dusk Till Dawn. I'd rather have extra $$$ off.
Ironically, when I first saw PULP FICTION in the theater, I hated it because I found it too confusing to keep up with. Gave it another chance years later, and discovered it's finer points, and ended up buying it. (If only I could do this with men. ;) )

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks