What's new

HTF REVIEW: "Pulp Fiction" Collector's Edition (Highly Recommended)(with screenshots) (1 Viewer)

Jon_Are

Senior HTF Member
You can if you already own From Dusk Till Dawn. I'd rather have extra $$$ off.
Even DeepDiscountDVD is selling PF & JB for $19.95 each.
Since no one is offering extra $$$ off, I'll stand by my original statement that you can't beat that.
Regardless of whether you already own From Dusk Till Dawn.
Jon

MikeFR

Supporting Actor
Damn it. The only thing I had to look forward to this week was picking up Pulp Fiction and a case of beer on tuesday.... :frowning:
I will keep my fingers crossed and visit every dvd shop in town, september is too far away :angry:

Mike Graham

Supporting Actor
Thank god for the 27th's Reservoir Dogs. True, the video may be too washed out, but a special edition Tarantino fix should make the wait until September a little bit easier...

Gui A

Supporting Actor
You want to know what's weird?

Artisan product is also distributed by Alliance here in Canada.
But Artisan only gets the little sticker saying it was made by Alliance in Quebec. That's it. No logo replacement, no audio track switcheroo... nothing.

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
Well, I finally got a chance to compare my Korean Region 0 disc to the new Buena Vista R1 release. Unfortunately, I'm going to have to keep both.

As far as the transfer goes, the Korean disc wins hands down. The transfer is much, much sharper than the new R1 release. The R1 release looks almost blurry in comparison. The colors are more vivid on the Korean disc as well, although the difference isn't as drastic as the difference in sharpness. I don't have any way of gathering the overall average bit rate, but the bit rate on the Korean disc seems much higher as well (most of the time between 8.0-9.5). I'm sure if Ron had a copy of the Korean disc to compare to, he would've never given such a glowing review to the new R1. I couldn't hear any real noticeable differences in the audio tracks between the two.

However, the extras on the R1 are just too damn good to get rid of. The Korean disc has some of the supplements (such as the deleted scenes and the international trailers) but no Charlie Rose, Siskel/Ebert, or text commentary. Those alone are enough for me to keep the R1.

Just my two cents,
Jeff

Jason Whyte

Screenwriter
"Artisan product is also distributed by Alliance here in Canada.
But Artisan only gets the little sticker saying it was made by Alliance in Quebec. That's it. No logo replacement, no audio track switcheroo... nothing."

Yeah that IS odd. Artisan films are distributed up here by Odeon Pictures, which is just another branch off of Alliance Atlantis! What's even more odd is IFC films are distributed by Odeon Films, yet the DVD's are done by Alliance!

The mayhem continues...

Jason

PaulBoud

Agent
Dammit, I just got the sweet JB/PF deal for 15.99 plus FDTD for free (which is cool because not only do I not own it, I somehow have never seen it) but I didn't see the instant $5 off coupon on JB. Oh well, I will be getting the $5 rebate since I own the original PF release. Then I can sell my old copy on ebay or give it to someone nice. ;)

Scott Shanks

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott Shanks
Paul,
There was a red sticker on the outside of the package that they should have torn off or scanned to get you the instant rebate. It was on both discs. I'd take my receipt back to BB and get my $5.

PaulBoud

Agent
Scott, only Jackie Brown had the coupon, but I didn't notice it and they didn't ring it up for me. Unfortunetly I live in Vermont and the Best Buy I went to in Ma is about a 50 minute drive away. I don't think I'll be heading back that way to get the 5 spot. Oh well.

Vlad D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Vladimir Derenoncourt
Scott, only Jackie Brown had the coupon, but I didn't notice it and they didn't ring it up for me.
The coupon is on the JB cover, but the PF cover has a sticker that mentions the $5 off deal and states to "see JB cover for details."

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Is this movie worth a blind purchase?
Wow... not sure how to answer this...but here goes:
Pulp Fiction is, by almost any measure, the most influential film of the past decade or so. It easily makes most Top Ten Films of the 90s lists (#3 on mine). It is also one of the most wildly entertaining & energetic films ever.
However, it is violent (though not as violent as its critics claim) and gleefully profane. Its characters are criminals and other low-lifes. It does not shy away from portraying drug use.
If you find any of the above disturbing or offensive, you should probably stay away (or at least rent first). If this type of material doesn't bother you, then go for it. PF is a title that belongs in any serious film buff's collection, and this DVD set is worthy of the film.

BertFalasco

Supporting Actor
Well, luckily. Doing the damn chores around here have paid off, my lovely mom picked me up both sets today. :) About to watch Pulp Fiction for the first time (have yet to see Jackie Brown either). I'll save JB for Friday night with some hiZomies.
-Bert

Andrew_Sch

Senior HTF Member
Is this movie worth a blind purchase?
Well since Craig already supplied the long answer, I'll supply the short one: YES!!!!!!:D
Now, two questions:
1. Has anyone else noticed that the packaging is really flimsy? I just bought it today and have of course treated it very carefully but already one outer corner is crushed and there are other dings and bumps popping up.
2. Did anybody else notice that the picture was really jumpy when Vincent is walking to the table at Jack Rabbit Slim's? Maybe this was intentional or maybe it was just because I was dead tired when I watched that part.
One last comment: Good gravy, I loooooove this movie!!!!:D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks