What's new

Hsu Research STF-2 Subwoofer Test & Review (1 Viewer)

Craig Chase

Gear Guru
Real Name
Craig
You know... If my wife read the smart list, the fact I got each kid's birth year right would score me BIG points...

As for Ed... HE knew the risk he was taking when he left ...;)

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
You know... If my wife read the smart list, the fact I got each kid's birth year right would score me BIG points...
__________________________________________________ __

Thinking about it, that is quite a feat. I come up with ages but not the year, unless I put some math to it.

>>As for Ed... HE knew the risk he was taking when he left ...

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Craig,

If those are 3 Car dealerships you should be able to afford a maid by now to do the dusting and vacuuming.

If they are, what makes? Just interested because I work for a Toyota store.

Craig Chase

Gear Guru
Real Name
Craig
They are a Ford-Lincoln-Mercury, a Dodge, and a multi line store... Yes, my bride has a maid... but no maid ever cleans to the wife's standards... :)

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
Actually, I'm a big fan of thread hi-jacks, provided they are good natured and have at least some ties to the original thread.

Kind of like the 6 degrees of Kevin Bacon concept. If you can link a hi-jacker's post to the original thread in six moves or less, it's all good. ;)

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
OOPs, my bad.

I like my bacon and eggs with a fruit smoothie made by placing the glass on top of my STF-2 and playing the depth charge scene from U-571.

For dusting, I play the LOTR-FOTR Balrog battle at -5db on the receiver's volume readout, shakes all the dust off of out-of-reach shelves but sometimes displaces the bric-a-brac.

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
If you can link a hi-jacker's post to the original thread in six moves or less, it's all good.
__________________________________________________ ____

:laugh: :laugh: Thanks Ed. For my small part> I'll be good the rest of the week I promise, now that your home. :emoji_thumbsup:

frank manrique

Supporting Actor
quote:

"They are a Ford-Lincoln-Mercury, a Dodge..."

Hey, Craig...the way to "get me" is by offering a real super deal deal on one of 'em Dodge Hemi Magnum RTs (clad in red regalia, please :) ) 'cus am in the market for a new car. So what do 'ya say, pal?... :D

-THTS

"...hi, my name is Frank...and am an SVS bassaholic..."

Pete_M3

Agent
I'll see if I can steer this thing back on topic, sort of. I live in a townhouse (a multi-level condo). I'm bound to piss off the neighbors with a mega-sub, and I don't have room for it anyway. I have over 3000 cubic feet in the room, but it's due to the layout of having a connected dining room that is slightly higher than the living room. Somebody suggested that I should really get the STF-3 for that size room.

So here is the question: can you make a smaller sub seem bigger by using bass shakers on the furniture? I'm thinking this might be a good way to use the STF-2 for moderate sound level and get a nice vibration effect from the bass shakers that won't be as intrusive to the neighbors as a cranked STF-3.

Thoughts?

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
How big is the living room itself? 1,500 ft3? I think an STF-2 would fill the immediate living area with good bass at moderately loud volumes.

Bass shakers add complexity, cost, and power. The price increase for bass shakers could easily be covered by moving up to the STF-3, and simply calibrating it on the cool side or keeping the overall volume moderate.

Pete_M3

Agent
the living room is about 3000 cubic feet (17 x 17 x 10, plus some hallways), but it's completely open to a dining room that is 3 feet higher than the living room, and is about another 1000 cubic feet (12 x 12 x 7). I know it could use the extra oomph of the STF-3, but I am concerned about two things: (1) WAF (it's our living room, the main entry to the house, and the baby's primary play space, so smaller is better), and (2) blowing out the neighbors on the other side of the wall (low frequencies travel significantly).

At low volumes, am I going to notice the difference between an STF-2 and STF-3?

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member

While the STF-3 displays slightly better deep extension than the STF-2, I would expect the two subs to sound almost identical at low to moderate volumes.

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member

The UFW-12 is the unit causing all the flap over at AV123. I discussed with MLS the possibility of reviewing that sub, and he agreed, although we have not nailed down any specifics about time frame.

Really, the PB10-ISD and the Rava are the direct competitors to the STF-2 in the $400 price class. The UFW-10 (while similarly sized) is simply priced too high to be included here.

Craig Chase has experience with the UFW-10 and also has some test measurements on the unit; I would seek him out for input, as well as other AV123 UFW-10 owners. It seems to be a very well liked subwoofer.

Regards,

Ed

JohnnyCasaba

Agent
Ed,

Yes I read that you are planning to do a review on the UFW-12 on AV123, but as far as I know, the release date on that sub is not known. Not sure what the price of the sub has to do with you doing a solo review. Was just looking foward to reading another thorough review from you. Guess I'll have to wait on the UFW-12.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks