What's new

Hsu Research STF-2 Subwoofer Test & Review (1 Viewer)

MikeNg

Second Unit

Hmmmm. I can think of another little ported 10" sub, soon to be released, that I'd like to see in a head-to-head comaparo...

As usual Ed, superb analysis and review!:emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
Jack, Kevin, Mike - thank you for the compliments; it makes doing future reviews worth it.

Sure, the PB10-ISD is a natural review choice at this price point. Mr. Gilvey, any interest in bringing your expertise up north and teaming up for a review? You could even bring one of your famous DIY creations and we'll wring it out and see how it performs. Beer's on me, and you can crash at my pad. :emoji_thumbsup:

I was also thinking of testing the Adire Audio Rava, too. It's a different twist on the $400 subwoofer theme, being a 12" sealed unit. And the Rava seems to get a fair amount of press and interest, too. I emailed Dan Wiggins about reviewing one, and he seemed open to the idea, and asked some questions about test methodology, etc. I'll have to check and see if he got back to me again......

frank manrique

Supporting Actor
quote:

"Moby Dick contains one of the best drum solos ever recorded. The STF-2 displayed excellent attack and impact on the drum strikes, sounding tympanic with just the right amount of decay and no detectable overhang."

Ed, please, please...listen to something like Chick Correa and the Electric Band's or the Acoustic Band's recordings; Dave Weckl's drumming is phenomenal...absolutely mind blowing! Oh, yes...the drum set's and other instruments recorded sound was extremely well done and very dynamic.
For more drum and electric/acoustic bass guitar recordings of high recorded merit also try Stanley Clark's Journey To Love (track 6 in particular; Epic label, #EK 36974); Steve Gadd's [little Stevie from the original 50s The Mickey Mouse Club fame] drum solo in that track is truly awe inspiring! Jaco Pastorious Big Band Word Of Mouth Revisited (Heads Up label, #HUCD 3078) is another great recording to try out.

Also, I would love to see you avail the use of symphonic music recordings as acoustical music references when testing subs. They can reveal a wealth of vital and important sonic information in my estimation.

Anyway, another fantastic review, Ed! You're da man!!
Too bad Audio magazine and The Audio Critic aren't around anymore to snatch you as the in-house transducers reviewer.
Am truly impressed with your testing methodology...

Oh, one more thing...as good as this 'lil sub seems to be (something you have already proved with your very comprehensive tests), its output compression weaknesses point out to the need for the use of either multiple drivers per sub or a number of subbass units to help mitigate or eliminate such sonic flaws.

I think that it would be terrific if you were to test SVS' new 10"-bass driver based sub, which is priced the same as the HSU's little sub. I hope to see it soon!... :)

-THTS

"...hi, my name is Frank...and am an SVS bassaholic..."

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
I think that it would be terrific if you were to test SVS' new 10"-bass driver based sub, which is priced the same as the HSU's little sub. I hope to see it soon!...
__________________________________________________ __

I'm all for that, but no surprise there.:b Your other choices sound interesting also Ed.

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
Haven't heard back from Dan Wiggins yet; I'll drop a dime tomorrow and see where he stands.

Ed

frank manrique

Supporting Actor
quote:

"I'm all for that, but no surprise there."

I hope I am not misinterpreting your words Steve, but just to clarify my position...it is not that another sub was conceived and made by SVS (I trust you believe when I say that I can be quite impartial when the need arises); rather, it is what promises to be one hell of a performing 'lil sub just by judging the stuff that was posted by its creators (am sure you already did, but have you seen the 'lil sub's chart included in SVS' Web page? Mama mia! :eek: )...

-THTS

frank manrique

Supporting Actor
quote:

"There is a difference between 'one of the best drum solo's ever recorded', and 'one of the best recordings of a drum solo'. "

Umm...OK...Yet I'll better check that recording soon and hear for meself what you're talking about.
I guess I let my deep love for my drumming idols (being that I played drums for a long time and tried to learn and emulate them; now my son Steve plays 'em; he's a monster on our 9-piece, double bass drum Tama set, let me tell 'ya!) and the medium get the better of me. :b I'll try to do better next time! :)

"Don't have either of those releases....how about MFSL's Original Master Recording of 'Together Again - For the First Time' Mel Torme and Buddy Rich?"

Great recording! But then Buddy was another drumming idol of mine (I had the immense pleasure of seeing him play with his big band live--along with Loui Bellson, another idol of mine--at the Redlands university concert hall back in the late 70s. Not too long after that evening Buddy underwent quadruple bypass surgery; he was actually having cardiac arrest episodes during the course of that concert! What a showman), so am a bit biased.
By the way...I also love Mel Torme's ("The Velvet Fog") voice too... :)
You might also consider Mel Lewis' big band recording on the Telarc label. That one truly is one of the most realistically captured imaging of a drum set along with a big band I've ever heard in recorded form, I kid you not!
Of course, you could also try the Tower Of Power recording on the Sheffield label (was released on vinyl in a direct-to-disc form originally, but the CD sonics does transport listeners right into the recording venue just as well! Superb recording).

"I 'try' to mix up music on the reviews, so it's not all the same boring stuff. There is only one duplicate here vs. the PB2-Ultra review for example."

Got 'ya, Ed... :emoji_thumbsup:

"Much of my classical collection left with the house one day without my permission. It is slowly getting rebuilt. One of the better ones I have for good bass (powerful kettles) is Tchaikovsky Symphony No. 6 Opus 74 in B Minor, 'Pathetique in 20/16 bit format."

Sorry to hear that, Ed.
By the way, have you heard his 1812 Overture on Telarc's label? Phew! Simply phenomenal.
I could suggest a number of classical music recordings which I think might be of help if you wish...

"I've also got Pomp & Pipes, which also has awesome kettle strikes and deep organ, but the 32' pipe organ (16-17 Hz) is simply too deep for the STF-2 to reproduce properly. Not a knock against the product per se, it's simply not rated to go that deep."

You're absolutely correct...about the Hsu sub; I fully concur...

"I hear you, but you need to keep in mind the price point. We're used to subwoofer systems that can produce 115 dB @ 20 Hz at the seat with less than 10% distortion. That's not going to happen at the $400 price point.

This sub needs to be judged within that frame of reference and against its peers, and not on an absolute basis. That's why I was careful in the review to state the output limits objectively, and let the reader decide whether it's powerful enough for his/her needs. For some people, the STF-2 will be all they will ever need in terms of clean output. For others, it won't be enough; that's why Hsu offers stuff like dual TN1220 with 400 x 2 amp at the $1,800 price point."

I see you point and fully agree with 'ya...

"SVS is apparently getting out several 'review' PB10-ISD's, and I have asked to be on the list. Things look positive, and stay tuned."

Indeed I will, Ed 'cus reading your stuff, among other few authors, helps me from becoming totally insane! :D
Keep up the great work you're doing...

-THTS

"hi, my name is Frank...and am an SVS bassaholic..."

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
Don't get me wrong Frank, the drummers and recordings you listed are among the best ever. I just think Moby Dick is a stand out drum solo in rock history, despite have "just OK" recording quality (lotso tape hiss, but dynamics and tonality are decent enough).

Your enthusiasm for (and knowledge of) music is infectious. Anytime you want to make recommendations, my ears are open. :emoji_thumbsup:

Oh, I've heard it, just not since it left the house. :b Another to replace, and a sub wrecker if there ever was one. WARNING - DIGITAL CANNONS :)

Richard_M

Second Unit
Ed...

With Frank's, Craig's, & and your great knowledge on good reference tracks to test all types of systems, maybe a small database would be beneficial for forum members.

Since I have been reading yours and others recommendations I have been going out and buying or importing discs so I can try to replicate what you guys are hearing.

All very good reference material, some of which I never usually look at in the Audio shops.

Food for thought...

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
"I'm all for that, but no surprise there."

I hope I am not misinterpreting your words Steve, but just to clarify my position...it is not that another sub was conceived and made by SVS (I trust you believe when I say that I can be quite impartial when the need arises); rather, it is what promises to be one hell of a performing 'lil sub just by judging the stuff that was posted by its creators (am sure you already did, but have you seen the 'lil sub's chart included in SVS' Web page? Mama mia! )...

-THTS

__________________________________________________ ____

Sorry Frank! Maybe I did a bad job of communicating what I was trying to say. I'm afraid you have misinterpreted and admittedly I'm possibly at fault?

When I made the statement at the top of this post it was only to agree with the suggestion of Ed reviewing the 10-ISD. The (no surprise there) bitt was only a acknowledgment of my interest in all SVS products.

Side note Frank> I have a 10-ISD on order myself. Just another way of me saying> I am in total agreement with your assessment on the 10-ISD. Just got to have it. It's my belief right or wrong, that it will add a whole new dimension to the $400 sub market. Maybe Ed will clarify down the road for us?

Good to see you back and up on the Forum and it sounds all went well. I have neglected letting you know in another Thread.:emoji_thumbsup:

frank manrique

Supporting Actor
quote:

"Don't get me wrong Frank, the drummers and recordings you listed are among the best ever. I just think Moby Dick is a stand out drum solo in rock history, despite have 'just OK' recording quality (lotso tape hiss, but dynamics and tonality are decent enough)."

As I said...need to check it out meself (now am really intrigued by your recording!)...

"Your enthusiasm for (and knowledge of) music is infectious. Anytime you want to make recommendations, my ears are open."

Thank you, Ed. I do hope my deep love for music comes through (if it is infectious, why...great! :) ).
I'll dig up some more recording titles that I think you might like and post them in this thread later on...

"Oh, I've heard it [Telarc's 1812 Overture. FM], just not since it left the house. Another to replace, and a sub wrecker if there ever was one. WARNING - DIGITAL CANNONS"

Indeed that is a subwoofer wrecker if one isn't careful!
By the way...couple of years back I had my son Steve listen to this recording with me when I first got the eight SVS 16-46s up and running.
To make it short, the Overture's finale not only hit us square on our plexus and gut areas--literally!--but the ensuing low frequency wavefront caused by the digitally recorded real black powder cannons (as were the church bells) proceeded to cause the legs of out pants flutter back and forth for a few seconds! And I played that recording at rather conservative SPLs! Incredible...

-THTS

frank manrique

Supporting Actor
quote:

"Sorry Frank! Maybe I did a bad job of communicating what I was trying to say. I'm afraid you have misinterpreted and admittedly I'm possibly at fault?"

Nope Steve...it was my own doing. Sorry... :b

"When I made the statement at the top of this post it was only to agree with the suggestion of Ed reviewing the 10-ISD. The (no surprise there) bitt was only a acknowledgment of my interest in all SVS products."

Got 'ya! :emoji_thumbsup:

"Side note Frank> I have a 10-ISD on order myself. Just another way of me saying> I am in total agreement with your assessment on the 10-ISD. Just got to have it. It's my belief right or wrong, that it will add a whole new dimension to the $400 sub market. Maybe Ed will clarify down the road for us?"

Wow! Congrats, Steve! Too bad I've spent an small fortune on audio gear lately otherwise I would order me one too...just because it is there!
And, oh yes...you're right: SVS' new 'lil 10" sub will definitely add a new dimension to that subwoofer price bracket! I also believe that it will be redefining the whole concept of small sized sub designs as well, imho.
However, I think I better temper my enthusiasm until Ed runs one 10-ISD sub sample through his rigorous tests.

"Good to see you back and up on the Forum and it sounds all went well. I have neglected letting you know in another Thread."

Thanks, my friend, Am glad things are going well...at least 'til tomorrow anyway (will be seeing my surgeon to find out the results of the endoscopy biopsy, blood, and liver sonogram tests)...

-THTS

MikeNg

Second Unit
Not to highjack the thread, but has anyone posted the waterfall charts to the cannons on the 1812 Overture? If so, I'd sure like to see them!

Pete_M3

Agent
OK, I'll ask. Is there any other sub in a similar sized cabinet that has measurements comparable to (or better than) the STF-2? I know you are trying to get a Rava, and I think that would be a great one to compare, given the small sealed cabinet and larger driver (12 inch).

I'm debating whether I need more output from a similarly sized sub. I was going to go with the STF-2, but someone suggested that my room is too big and I should step up to the STF-3. I'm having trouble convincing the wife that the larger sub fits in our living room, so I'm looking for similarly sized alternatives to the STF-2. I know the VTF-2 can give me more output (while sacrificing extension), but I'm looking for both deep extension and output in a small box ... for cheap ... I don't ask for much, do I? ;)

Richard_M

Second Unit

Thanks Ed...

I checked my collection for Led Zeppelin II but alas it is one of the few I don't have, I do have 4 of their other CD's in my collection, so off to the shop this morning, to purchase it.

One of my favorites for 2ch listening is Dire Straits - Love over Gold cd (track 2) Private Investigations(6:45).

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member

Honestly, in terms of overall performance - looking at its very flat frequency response, solid extension to 25 Hz, and (for a 10" woofer) decent distortion limited output - the STF-2 is a very well balanced package that currently has no peers in its price class.

Based on its size and sealed design, I doubt the Rava can get to 25 Hz strong without some EQ help, but I'd like to determine that first hand. I think it should have decent extension down to 30 Hz, anyway.

The PB10-ISD is the dark horse here, and we're all waiting with baited breath on the product launch. SVS has a way of leap-frogging the competition and raising the bar. Again, only time will tell as units hit the field and comparisons start to be made.

You might find other currently available subs for $400 that might exceed the STF-2 in one category, but will fall short in the others. For example, the much larger Velo CHT-15 (which can be had for about $400 on-line) can probably play louder at 30 Hz than the STF-2, but lacks the deep extension and flatter FR of the Hsu.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks