What's new

Game of Thrones Season 4 (news and episodes discussion) (1 Viewer)

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
I was able to attend a Q and A with Peter Dinklage a few days ago. Didn't reveal anything except he starts back this week, but also because he mentioned he hasn't read the books either apart from the first one so he only knows what's going to happen from the scripts.

He also mentioned that the film out of sequence for the whole season so he could be doing something from Episode 6 before going back to something from 1, 2 or 3. Makes sense though I assumed before they filmed each episode before moving on to the next.

Regards Tyrion as the best role he has ever had. Lena Headey and Jason Momoa were also there but I missed their presentation.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Charlie Campisi said:
My thinking about the article was the same as the first comment -- it would make more sense for that ep to be the penultimate ep of season 4 rather than the finale. They've done a great job of putting big events in ep 9 (execution of Ned, Blackwater, Red Wedding) and leaving the finale to clean up the pieces and set up the ensuing season. I thought Blackwater was shot very well, so I like the choice to bring him back.
And now Variety is indeed reporting that Marshall will be directing the ninth episode of Season Four, not the tenth.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Entertainment Weekly has the full list of directors for Season 4:Episode 1: David Benioff & D.B. WeissEpisodes 2: Alex GravesEpisodes 3: Alex GravesEpisodes 4: Michelle MacLarenEpisodes 5: Michelle MacLarenEpisodes 6: Alik SakharovEpisodes 7: Alik SakharovEpisodes 8: Alex GravesEpisodes 9: Neil MarshallEpisodes 10: Alex GravesNo Season 1 directors this year. Alik Sakharov was the cinematographer for four episodes in the first season, before moving up to director with the third episode of the second season. Alex Graves ("The West Wing", "Journeyman", "Terra Nova")'s first episode was the fourth hour of the third season. Michelle MacLaren ("Breaking Bad", "The Walking Dead")'s first episode was the "The Bear and the Maiden Fair" late in the third season. Neil Marshall (Dog Soldiers, The Descent) of course directed the absolutely epic "Blackwater".I was hoping Alan Taylor would be back this season, but apparently he's still tied up with post-production on Thor: The Dark World.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I just saw Rex's awesome post. Rex, I think you have sleuthed out a lot of interesting parallels, many (but not all!) I was aware of, but it's just that, influences and not reality. And remember the TV show is an interpretation (!!!!) of other source material and the second attempt at it at that. If Tolkien wasn't so set against his stories being non-allegorical despite the geo politics of his age and the war he himself took part in one might be (and many have!) be tempted to claim that his stories were similarly patterned.

Here's the thing tho: a smidge of familiarity goes a long way. It helps you identify with characters and choose favorites. You bring your own set of biases in based on your world view and then the author is free to mess you up by turning the tables around with the ways things aren't the same.

I can think of no better example of this than of (only semi spoiler)
how people change in how they see Jaime (Hey, that's FRENCH right, for I love you! Another paralllel!) from the dastardly jerk who tossed Bran out a window to protect the secret of his incest vice how they see him once the details of past are made more clear through his journey with Brienne. You might not actually LIKE him yet, but you can't help but be a little more sympathetic to him.
The TV show hasn't really made this leap yet the way the books did for me, but you can see it coming.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Sam Posten said:
If Tolkien wasn't so set against his stories being non-allegorical despite the geo politics of his age and the war he himself took part in one might be (and many have!) be tempted to claim that his stories were similarly patterned.
Tolkien has clarified a few times (most famously in an interview included in the LOTR extended edition DVDs and BDs) that his "not an allegory" statement meant that there wasn't a 1:1 equivalence. In no way was he dismissing the fact that his work was clearly influenced by various sources. Therefore, I would say Tolkien is a fair comparison (allowing, of course, for the Tolkien-only aspects like philology, which certainly drove most of his work).

With regard to your spoiler, Sam, as I've written a few times in these threads, Jaime is my favourite character. I think one reason he isn't as developed as he is in the books is the show's relative inability to reproduce the inner dialogue in a satisfying way. While it's true he has a lot of interesting scenes with Brienne, much of his character is revealed in those quiet moments where he's thinking to himself--the entire scene with the White Book is a prime example (not a spoiler, don't worry).

Charlie Campisi

Screenwriter
Josh -

I think Jaime has gotten pretty fair treatment in the series v. the books. Yes, we are missing the inner dialogue, but I think the effect is similar to that of other characters. The White Book scene is a particularly good scene that wouldn't translate well onto the screen and a good example of where his tv character got shortchanged, but the same could be said for Tyrion and Cersei. Both are portrayed accurately on the screen, but the depth of their pain of betrayal (Tyrion) and egomania (Cersei) don't hit as purely as they do in the books. The two scenes that come to mind that show the true nature of Jaime (note: not growth) are his account of how he killed King Aerys and became the "Kingslayer" and when he went back to save Brienne.

Another example where his character is not as well developed as in the books is
his love for Cersei. His inner dialogue regarding how much he longs to get back to her is just not as clear on the screen. We got a hint of it in season 1, ep 1 when he tosses Bran out the window, but at that point we didn't know enough about him to realize his decision was not made lightly, but quickly made based on love. His love ultimately changes once Cersei goes completely off the rails and it will be interesting to see if they are able to show that change on tv.

Dheiner

Gazoo
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Dhein
I just have to say that I think Cersei has been "completely off the rails " since at least her arrival at Winterfell.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Sam Posten said:
Her motivations arent nearly as well fleshed (heh) out as they are in the book either.
In the show's defence, a large part of those motivations aren't revealed until Book 4 anyway, specifically:

the prophecy.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Via King Joffrey on the twitters, every death in Game Of Thrones:
BZYMD0ZIEAEYCHl.jpg

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
New Season 4 Character Posters:
got-s04-char-posters-01.jpg
Clockwise from top-left: Daenerys Targaryen (Emilia Clarke), Tyrion Lannister (Tyrion Lannister),Arya Stark (Maisie Williams), Oberyn Martell (Pedro Pascal)
got-s04-char-posters-02.jpg
Clockwise from top-left: Jon Snow (Kit Harington), Ygritte (Rose Leslie),Tywin Lannister (Charles Dance), Sansa Stark (Sophie Turner)
got-s04-char-posters-03.jpg
Clockwise from top-left: Margaery Tyrell (Natalie Dormer), Jaime Lannister (Nikolaj Coster-Waldau),Cersei Lannister (Lena Headey), Joffrey Baratheon (Jack Gleeson)

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
Finally finished Book 3 and started A Feast of Crows, which means judging by the trailer, I'm now ahead in the books for the first time. Not sure how I feel about this since the Red Wedding took me completely by surprise in the show and now I know what is coming - well this season anyway. But it is a fantastic book and this season should surpass Season 3 just in terms of forward momentum of the story.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Episode breakdown (this post will be updated with episode titles at a later date):

Episode Title Directed by Written by
4x01 Two Swords D. B. Weiss David Benioff & D.B.Weiss
4x02 The Lion and the Rose Alex Graves George R. R. Martin
4x03 Breaker of Chains Alex Graves David Benioff & D.B. Weiss
4x04 Oathkeeper Michelle MacLaren Bryan Cogman
4x05 First of His Name Michelle MacLaren David Benioff & D.B. Weiss
4x06 The Laws of Gods and Men Alik Sakharov Bryan Cogman
4x07 Mockingbird Alik Sakharov David Benioff & D.B. Weiss
4x08 The Mountain and the Viper Alex Graves David Benioff & D.B. Weiss
4x09 The Watchers on the Wall Neil Marshall David Benioff & D.B. Weiss
4x10 The Children Alex Graves David Benioff & D.B. Weiss

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Just finished re-watching season 3 on blu-ray last night, so I'm eager to get started. I'm still kind of amazed at the attention this show is getting after its debut in 2010 when it was very questionable whether it would last. Sometimes, I guess, talent is rewarded and a show gets the recognition it deserves.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks