What's new

House of the Dragon (Game of Thrones prequel series) (1 Viewer)

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Sometimes I catch foreshadowing, sometimes not. In this case I really didn't and was in my "just going along for the ride" mode. In hindsight, though, yes there were many portents. :biggrin: 🤔

The look on Aemond's face was classic though. It was nice to see his smugness and confidence shaken a bit over the gravity of his actions.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Headline from Variety:

‘House of the Dragon’ Episode 10 Sees 9.3 Million Viewers, Biggest HBO Season Finale Since ‘Game of Thrones’​

So much for worrying about the ep being leaked to the torrentsphere the other day. :huh:

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Headline from Variety:

‘House of the Dragon’ Episode 10 Sees 9.3 Million Viewers, Biggest HBO Season Finale Since ‘Game of Thrones’​

So much for worrying about the ep being leaked to the torrentsphere the other day. :huh:
HBO used to mention the illegal downloads of Game of Thrones as a way to promote the show. As in, “watch the most-downloaded show in the world!” (Exaggerating, but you get the idea.)

Charlie Campisi

Screenwriter
I didn’t understand what Daemon was doing in the dragon pit calling forward the dragon that was down there. Did he not previously have his own dragon and was this just showing him getting ready for season 2? Seemed like wasted minutes but maybe I just missed the point.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Perhaps Daemon was trading up? I didn't quite understand the scene either, although I assume that it was setting the table for a season two plot element.

The scene did reinforce the idea of a psychic link between rider and dragon which was likely a factor in the sequence at the conclusion of the episode. Vhagar felt Aemond's anger and Arrax felt Luke's fear.

- Walter.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I didn’t understand what Daemon was doing in the dragon pit calling forward the dragon that was down there. Did he not previously have his own dragon and was this just showing him getting ready for season 2? Seemed like wasted minutes but maybe I just missed the point.
I think that was the large, untamed dragon referenced in an earlier episode. The only one larger than Aemond’s dragon, if I recall.

Charlie Campisi

Screenwriter
Ok, thanks. That makes sense. The scale may have been off though. Almond’s dragon was absolutely massive in the fight scene. It’s head was bigger than Arrax, as pointedly shown.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
A little late to the finale as my GF and I only watched it this weekend.

I don't have many positive thoughts about this series and it comes from being in the middle of re-watching the entire GAME OF THRONES series at the same time (currently at the end of season 4).

HOTD lacks the heart, character, and sense of adventure that GAME OF THRONES offered. THRONES took us to so many distant places and jumps through multiple storylines. DRAGON seems claustrophobic with a mostly singular setting and characters that you never bond with.

That being said, I still found HOTD to be entertaining and admired the acting chops of its lead, Matt Smith (Prince Daemon Targaryen). Looking forward to Season 2.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
HOTD lacks the heart, character, and sense of adventure that GAME OF THRONES offered. THRONES took us to so many distant places and jumps through multiple storylines. DRAGON seems claustrophobic with a mostly singular setting and characters that you never bond with.

I would agree that the 'travelogue' aspects of GoT are sorely absent from HOTD.

The other big difference (for me) is that in Game of Thrones the moral distinctions between some of the characters were more clearly drawn. There were protagonists and antagonists in GoT. HOTD in comparison feels like one big grey area for the most part, which might be more realistic. :) King Viserys was probably the most decent character in season one.

For me, the actor portraying Viserys (Paddy Considine) turned in the best work for season one, although I did like Matt Smith as well.

Continuing the comparison of the two shows, I do appreciate that there was more, and better, dragon footage in the new series.

- Walter.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I would agree that the 'travelogue' aspects of GoT are sorely absent from HOTD.

The other big difference (for me) is that in Game of Thrones the moral distinctions between some of the characters were more clearly drawn. There were protagonists and antagonists in GoT. HOTD in comparison feels like one big grey area for the most part, which might be more realistic. :) King Viserys was probably the most decent character in season one.

For me, the actor portraying Viserys (Paddy Considine) turned in the best work for season one, although I did like Matt Smith as well.

Continuing the comparison of the two shows, I do appreciate that there was more, and better, dragon footage in the new series.

- Walter.

King Viserys was the character everyone was sympathetic toward. Considine's performance was incredible as he held that show together with enormous character strength.

Mark_B

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark
Did anyone else see this Parody of the series on SNL last Saturday. It was just a hilarious. I think they really nailed it. It's posted on You Tube.

Last edited:

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I didn't follow Chappelle's Show, so the characters that showed up were kind of lost on me. Otherwise, it seemed fine. :emoji_blush:

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I finally finished S1. Even though it *did* improve a bit in the last couple of episodes, HOTD just never clicked for me. By the time S1 of GOT was over I couldn't wait to see the next season. I don't know that I'll bother with S2 of this one. Blame it on the rather lackluster story and having absolutely no likeable characters or characters I cared about what they did or what happened to them. The cast is good, the sets impressive, the dragon CGI is decent, and it just goes nowhere interesting, playing mostly like a costume drama soap opera that has a dragon show up every so often.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I finished 1x07 Driftmark. 3 more to go. Came here, not much talk about the last 4 episodes!

ThomasDawson

Auditioning
Real Name
Alex
Game of Thrones is my favorite show. I've watched every episode multiple times and have even read all the books. So, when I heard about the new prequel series, House of the Dragon, I was beyond excited.

ThomasDawson

Auditioning
Real Name
Alex
Game of Thrones is my favorite show. I've watched every episode multiple times and have even read all the books. So, when I heard about the new prequel series, House of the Dragon, I was beyond excited.
I couldn't wait to dive back into the world of Westeros and learn more about the Targaryen family and their dragons. To celebrate the upcoming premiere, I decided to treat myself to a dragon necklace. I had seen them online before and always thought they were pretty cool, but never really had a reason to buy one. But now, with House of the Dragon on the horizon, it seemed like the perfect time to finally get one.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks