Game of Thrones Season 4 (news and episodes discussion)

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by oscar_merkx, Apr 4, 2013.

1. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

Hi
    Here is a dedicated thread for Season 4 news
    http://insidetv.ew.com/2013/04/02/ga...ageID=20470532

2. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

3. Rex Bachmann

Rex Bachmann Screenwriter

Rex Bachmann
    I've avoided the Game of Thrones threads, since I don't subscribe to premium cable and haven't yet seen or read details about season 3 and don't want to know in advance what happens there. I'll try to wait for the discs.

I've got a question for the Brits (or other connoisseurs of British etiquette). Why don't the characters address and refer to the kings, queens, and princelings as "Majesty" or "Highness"? What's up with the "Your Grace"-bit?

I thought that title was reserved for archbishops (and "dukes"?). What am I missing?

4. Charlie Campisi

Charlie Campisi Screenwriter

I think what you might be missing is that the story does not occur in Great Britain, but I'm just a silly American. :)

5. Simon Massey

Simon Massey Cinematographer
    Supporter

Simon Massey
    I think it has something to do with Henry VIII as I think Kings and Queens were called Your Grace before him. Probably something to do with the shift from Catholicism to Protestant. I believe Kings and Queens of Scotland were also called Your Grace before the Union

6. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    It's a fantasy world, not earth. We don't call bastards snow, flowers or hill either. We don't have dragon, wraiths, or telepathy.Etc.

7. Josh Dial

Josh Dial Cinematographer

Josh Dial
    This is roughly correct.

Nowadays, "Your Majesty" works. Heck, our current Queen (of Canada) allows for "Ma'am."

8. Hanson

Hanson Producer

Hanson
    There are also some made up titles here and there. You can't hear the difference, but knights in the novels are addressed as "Ser" rather than "Sir". It took me a while to get used to that because it seemed like such a random change. But it really drove home that this was not our history.

9. Rex Bachmann

Rex Bachmann Screenwriter

Rex Bachmann
    Post #3:

Charlie Campisi wrote (post #4):

That part I'm sure you got right.

10. Jim_C

Jim_C Cinematographer

Wow. That's quite the post.

11. Josh Dial

Josh Dial
    Um, the source material's influences are not a secret. Indeed, back in the 90s, I remember that Book 1 was often described as a loose re-telling of the War of the Roses. Obviously that isn't completely accurate, but the implications are clear.

ASOIAF is not our history, but it certainly draws heavily on it (as some of the best tales are wont to do). This is sort of an indisputable fact.

12. Jeff Cooper

Jeff Cooper Screenwriter

fic·tion[fik-shuh[​IMG][​IMG]n] Show IPA
    noun
    1. the class of literature comprising works of imaginative narration, especially in prose form.
    2. works of this class, as novels or short stories: detective fiction.
    3. something feigned, invented, or imagined; a made-up story: We've all heard the fiction of her being in delicate health.
    4. the act of feigning, inventing, or imagining.
    5. an imaginary thing or event, postulated for the purposes of argument or explanation.

Brandon Conway likes this.
  13. Simon Massey

Supporter

Simon Massey
    Rex

As to whether I know, I can only point to learning this in school over 20 odd years ago. Im not sure how you wish me to know for a fact, just trying to answer your question. Thats what my History teacher told us :)

UK education system in my time tended to cover World History more than British history so I didnt spend a lot of time on it.

I guess since Im a Lancastrian that makes me a Lannister!!! :)

14. Adam Lenhardt

Certainly there is a strong basis in the War of the Roses in the A Song of Ice and Fire and there are plenty of historical allusions (the Wall is basically Hadrian's Wall on steroids) but just because the story pulls a lot from British history doesn't mean that Charlie was engaging in "flippant dishonesty" for pointing out that Westeros is not Great Britain. George R.R. Martin is the author of this universe and he is free to borrow, steal, distort and ignore from real world history as he sees fit. Why do some things track with real world history and others don't? Because that's the way the author wanted it. I don't think it's any more complicated than that.Certainly neither the books nor the show owe any allegiance or deference to the history they're borrowing from. Verisimilitude requires credibility; to be credible the fictional universe needs to operate with internal consistency. It does not need to mirror the real world.

15. Adam Lenhardt

16. Josh Dial

Josh Dial
    So non-readers know, Adam's link contains a major spoiler.

If the description of the episode is correct, it pretty much confirms my guess about what the contents of season 4, and where the season is going to end (unless the show really plays around with the timeline).

17. Charlie Campisi

Charlie Campisi Screenwriter

My thinking about the article was the same as the first comment -- it would make more sense for that ep to be the penultimate ep of season 4 rather than the finale. They've done a great job of putting big events in ep 9 (execution of Ned, Blackwater, Red Wedding) and leaving the finale to clean up the pieces and set up the ensuing season. I thought Blackwater was shot very well, so I like the choice to bring him back.

18. Simon Massey

Supporter

Simon Massey
    Every news article seems to have decided to spoil exactly what event Marshall will be directing which is a bit annoying for me, though the event in question is not really a surprise in that its obviously coming at some point. Unfortunately, some have also spoiled the outcome.Should be good, I thought he did a great job with Blackwater, especially with the moments between the action.

19. Adam Lenhardt

20. Sam Favate

Sam Favate Producer

Sam Favate
    Wow, that article really does drop some big spoilers and it does so casually.