What's new

Fox Cinema Archives - MODs are coming in June (1 Viewer)

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
The only answer is...we shall see. Once again we know next to nothing about a MOD program.

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan
JoHud said:
Seeing some of Raoul Walsh's early films would also be a treat. I've also been waiting for a few of the Ernie Kovacs Fox features to finally be available.
Walsh's SAILOR'S LUCK is a particular favorite of mine. Would love to have this one on disc. New print has been circulating in the last year. Basically, anything "Fox Before the Code" (as the 2006 Film Forum retro was dubbed) would be welcome. We need the early Spencer Tracy titles, Clara Bow's CALL HER SAVAGE & HOOPLA, Rowland Brown's QUICK MILLIONS (Tracy's first starring role) & BLOOD MONEY. Fox also owns THE STORY OF TEMPLE DRAKE, but hopefully that will get some more special treatment via Criterion.

PaulaJ

Supporting Actor
If Fox considers doing TV series (like WAC and Sony)... I'd love to see the Rod Serling created and produced western The Loner, which starred Lloyd Bridges and ran for one season (1965-66).

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
As to the Fox silents- a good deal of them were lost in the 1937 vault explosion in New Jersey, so the pickings are a bit bare, though in recent years thanks to research some prints have been located abroad, including some early John Ford films.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
While the Fox silent library may not be as extensive in its survivability as we would like it to be, they certainly still have plenty the choose from. Unreleased (and known-to-exist) Walsh and Ford silents, including the recently discovered Upstream, are most notably absent. It really depends on how many have music already composed for them much like in the WAC where it seems to keep many more obscure films from getting a release. However, the later Fox silents might have an edge on this since they adopted of Movietone audio tracks early on.

Charles H

Screenwriter
CHINA GATE is Olive Films via Republic; TURNING POINT is available via Anchor Bay; is THE STORY OF TEMPLE DRAKE a Fox property because of Richardson's SANCTUARY remake or is it a Paramount MCA and therefore a Universal prperty? Has anyone mentioned the wonderful COME TO THE STABLE which has been turning up on TCM recently? And the extended TALES OF MANHATTAN is playing on Fox Movie Channel on 6/19.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
THE TURNING POINT is OOP and fetching high prices on Amazon. A reasonably priced R2 disc is available.

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
Originally Posted by Bob Cashill /t/321050/fox-cinema-archives-mods-are-coming-in-june/30#post_3932631
THE TURNING POINT is OOP and fetching high prices on Amazon. A reasonably priced R2 disc is available.
Which is perplexing as to why it's not out in R1... ???? I need that film!!! :/

Louis Letizia

Supporting Actor
Bob Cashill said:
Its frustrating that many studios disregard their Best Picture nominees /winners . The Turning Point/Julia/ An Unmarried Woman were important, groundbreaking releases at their time and yet the releases (while welcome) are treated bare bones .
I'm also surprised how Paul Mazuskys films are not paid more attention to. Criterion could do a box set of Fox titles: Harry and Tonto, Next Stop Greenwich Village, An Unmarried Woman, Willie and Phil-and I think it would sell as well -if not better -than Altmans set of Quintet, A Perfect Couple, A Wedding from Fox. There could be fascinating extras on the Mazusky set.
As for The Turning
Point, I believe Anchor Bay will rerelease this (its 35th year) as its been doing with nearly all of their Fox licensed films. It will probably go to Bluray as The Entity and others have or will be. AB has been putting out alot of their back catalog -but the big guns - Six Pack, The Pirate Mov ie (both 30 anni), Rhinestone, Ghost in the Machine, Evilspeaky are really all thats left

Louis Letizia

Supporting Actor
And finally-with Fox MOD-we have a perfect outlet for.....Megaforce! (also 30 years old ). Sheesh! Now I feel old

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
AN UNMARRIED WOMAN (OOP I think) has a commentary track with Mazursky and the late Jill Clayburgh. NEXT STOP also has a Mazursky commentary. (He's done several for his films.) It's hard to say how a box set of previously released titles would sell but WILLIE would be a welcome Fox MOD.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
An Unmarried Woman is getting pretty expensive as an OOP title. I was lucky to get it for $30 in Like New condition late last year. An MOD rerelease would be expected if Fox has no desire to give it a blu-ray release.

Louis Letizia

Supporting Actor
Bob Cashill said:
AN UNMARRIED WOMAN (OOP I think) has a commentary track with Mazursky and the late Jill Clayburgh. NEXT STOP also has a Mazursky commentary. (He's done several for his films.) It's hard to say how a box set of previously released titles would sell but WILLIE would be a welcome Fox MOD.
I realize that both of those films have commentaries(and trailers-An Unmarried Womans trailer is perfection)-but I can see a BBS like set -most were rereleases-with more information on them. IE. Art Carneys Oscar speech (all the other nominees didnt show up). HBO had a making of feature, etc.
With Bob & Carol & Ted & Alice, Blume in Love and Alex in Wonderland- Mr. Mazursky has a nice resume .

benbrigade

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
john knight
Here is my Fox MOD wish;
before I begin a couple of points.
A couple of films on my list,I know have already been out in Spain,but NOT
in scope.
Also according to the Fifties Westerns website www.fiftieswesterns.wordpress.com
ALL the Regalscope titles are now owned by Paramount/Republic.
That includes CHINA GATE.
Olive films,at some point will release CHINA GATE plus 4 Regalscope titles
including SHE DEVIL;though sadly not UNKNOWN TERROR and BACK FROM THE DEAD
well not for now anyway.
Paramount MUST start doing an MOD program so the Regalscope films and the Republic
titles can be made available. Olive films can only do so much.
Furthermore Paramount are now the only major without an MOD program.
Otherwise they should hand over those films to the Warner Archive.
Anyway,for what its worth here is my list.
THE BRASHER DOUBLOON (1947) John Braham
SAND (1949)
I D CLIMB THE HIGHEST MOUNTAIN (1951)
LADY IN THE IRON MASK (1952)
With a cast no B movie lover could resist;includes the one, the only Tor Johnson!
THE SILVER WHIP (1952) top-notch lynch mob Western.
INFERNO (1953) 3D film;plays beautifully flat
PRINCESS OF THE NILE (1953)
Campy Arabian Nights nonsense with Lee Van Cleef and Jack Elam in the cast!
BREAK IN THE CIRCLE (1955)
ultra-rare Hammer spy flick
UNTAMED (1955)
SEVEN CITIES OF GOLD (1955)
ON THE THRESHOLD OF SPACE (1956)
Science-fact!
THE DEERSLAYER (1957)
SIERRA BARON (1958)
excellent Western the Spanish version is horrible and not even in scope!
SON OF ROBIN HOOD (1958)
HOUND DOG MAN (1959) Don Siegel
13 FIGHTING MEN (1960)
YOUNG JESSE JAMES (1960)
WALK TALL (1960)
THE CANADIANS (1961)
THE FIERCEST HEART (1961)
South African Western
THE BROKEN LAND (1962)
Early Jack Nicholson
YOUNG GUNS OF TEXAS (1962)
in scope please!
THE DAY MARS INVADED EARTH (1963)
top-notch cheap Sci-Fi

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
Louis, if Shout could release DAMNATION ALLEY, then surely Shout, Scream, or the Fox MOD could release MEGAFORCE.

Louis Letizia

Supporting Actor
Bob Cashill said:
Louis, if Shout could release DAMNATION ALLEY, then surely Shout, Scream, or the Fox MOD could release MEGAFORCE.
I would love that! Unlike DAMNATION ALLEY.....MRGAFORCE is a totally bad movie...but a lot of fun. As important as the Summer of 1982 was...there was also a great share of alltime worsts....MEGAFORCE....BEST LITTLE WHOREHIUSE IN TEXAS...THE PIRATE MOVIE...FIREFOX...HUMONGOUS...SWAMP THING. 30 years later the Summer of 2012 looks tonfollow pattern with classics and sure to be nototious flops side by side.

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
I'd like to see East Lynne and The White Parade first and foremost. The two absolutely rarest of the rare of Best Picture nominees.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks