What's new

Fox Cinema Archives - MODs are coming in June (1 Viewer)

The fact that someone is interested in Megaforce shows that there is something for everyone in film :)
Heck I want Hand of Death with John Agar and that is not a real classic by any stretch either, neither is Space Master X-7 but I like low budget 50s B films.
I really think that Fox as well as others doing MOD should look at their best selling titles and release those on Blu Ray/ DVD combos. Pressed discs. Especially Warner since I know Doc Savage and the Green Slime were big sellers. Just my worthless opinion of the day :)

Louis Letizia

Supporting Actor
david steigman said:
The fact that someone is interested in Megaforce shows that there is something for everyone in film :)
Heck I want Hand of Death with John Agar and that is not a real classic by any stretch either, neither is Space Master X-7 but I like low budget 50s B films.
I really think that Fox as well as others doing MOD should look at their best selling titles and release those on Blu Ray/ DVD combos. Pressed discs. Especially Warner since I know Doc Savage and the Green Slime were big sellers. Just my worthless opinion of the day :)
I thought that's what the MOD programs were going to be...a beta program that would be a litmus test for films to go to Bluray or pressed Dvd with little risk. Instead we have the opposite with S.O.B. VICTOR VICTORIA ....SEVEN PERCENT SOLUTION ...FAT CITY all examples of each studio reverting.
Is the upcoming THE ISLAND the only MID to graduate to pressed disc?

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
SOLUTION, at least, is a better MOD (anamorphic widescreen) than it was a pressed disc. THE ISLAND is pretty much the only MOD I can think of to "graduate," but it's not Universal itself that's handling it.

walter o

Supporting Actor
WB's THE GATHERING was released as a MOD then later released as a pressed disc, if my memory serves me correctly.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Originally Posted by Louis Letizia /t/321050/fox-cinema-archives-mods-are-coming-in-june/30#post_3933833
I would love that! Unlike DAMNATION ALLEY.....MRGAFORCE is a totally bad movie...but a lot of fun. As important as the Summer of 1982 was...there was also a great share of alltime worsts....MEGAFORCE....BEST LITTLE WHOREHIUSE IN TEXAS...THE PIRATE MOVIE...FIREFOX...HUMONGOUS...SWAMP THING. 30 years later the Summer of 2012 looks tonfollow pattern with classics and sure to be nototious flops side by side.

Actually kind of liked Firefox (1982). Biased being a Clint Eastwood fan, but it was still entertaining enough. Prefer the longer version of the film. Warren Clarke, many years before TV series Dalziel & Pascoe, also starred.

SWFF

Screenwriter
Real Name
Shawn Francis
THE ISLAND will be coming out later this year as a double feature with DEATH VALLEY from Shout! Factory's new horror movie line, Scream Factory.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
Auteur gaps I'd like to see filled: Otto Preminger's CENTENNIAL SUMMER (46), which seems to have vanished. Rights issues? And THE FAN (49).

kagemusha98

Second Unit
Real Name
Ken Koc
PRINCE OF FOXES
A CERTAIN SMILE
TAKE HER SHE'S MINE
JOHN GOLDFARB PLEASE COME HOME
BOY ON A DOLPHIN
NO DOWN PAYMENT
THE STRIPPER
TENDER IS THE NIGHT
BELOVED INFIDEL
THE VISIT
BENEATH THE 12 MILE REEF
DEAR BRIGITTE
RAINS OF RANCHIPUR
NIGHT PEOPLE
BACHELOR FLAT
NINE HOURS TO RAMA
WOMAN'S WORLD
GOOD MORNING MISS DOVE
VIEW FROM POMPEY'S HEAD
HATFULL OF RAIN

ajabrams

Second Unit
Real Name
Alan Abrams
Would love to see HOUSE OF ROTHSCHILD with the beautiful final scene in Technicolor.
Also where the heck is POOR LITTLE RICH GIRL, one of Shirley Temple's best films sadly still missing on DVD.

FrankXS

Second Unit
A second vote for Centennial Summer and when o when will Margie ever escape from her entrapment in the Fox vault. Saw this once on TV, probably the late 60's. How beautiful was Jeanne Crain in the starring role as Margie.

moviepas

Supporting Actor
POOR LITTLE RICH GIRL

This was one of my first 16mm films and I was unaware it was not on DVD in USA. It is on DVD, cheaply, in the UK.

Louis Letizia

Supporting Actor
Jon Hertzberg said:
Since it was a Golden Harvest production, I'm guessing it resides with them?
This may then be another Hens Tooth release ala HIGH ROAD TO CHINA/LASSITER. Interesting info. Thanks Walter.

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan
Louis Letizia said:
This may then be another Hens Tooth release ala HIGH ROAD TO CHINA/LASSITER. Interesting info. Thanks Walter.
Could be. There's another production company listed on IMDb, along with Golden Harvest: Northshore Investments, Ltd. The same company also co-financed / co-produced films such as DEATH HUNT and DEADLY EYES with Golden Harvest at that time. Later, they are credited as production company, with Golden Harvest, for the first two TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES films.
Dutch Film Works put out DEADLY EYES and MEGAFORCE on DVD in the Netherlands.
DEATH HUNT has, of course, been given several releases around the world, including by Anchor Bay and Shout! Factory in the States. A German Blu-ray was recently released by Koch.

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
Prince of Foxesw is already out on dvd with decent picture and really bad sound.
It would be great to have Tender is the Night with both endings.
fox still can ot seem to locate the original stereo track for Hatful of Rain
View from Pompeys head is still cuaght up in rights hell.
Its a very good film. I havemy owon DVDr. Its panscanned but it is stereo.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Classicflix seems to have gotten an inside list at the first 35 titles. The exact release date is still unknown.
  • Always Goodbye (1938)
  • The Baroness and the Butler (1938)
  • Career Woman (1936)
  • Chicken Every Sunday (1949)
  • Claudia (1943)
  • Dangerous Years (1948)
  • Diplomatic Courier (1952)
  • Do You Love Me (1946)
  • The Foxes of Harrow (1947)
  • Fraulein (1958)
  • Frontier Marshal (1939)
  • Hudson's Bay (1940)
  • Intent To Kill (1958)
  • Junior Miss (1945)
  • Kidnapped (1938)
  • Life Begins At Eight-Thirty (1942)
  • Love Is News (1937)
  • The Man I Married (1940)
  • Mr. Scoutmaster (1953)
  • Mr. Belvedere Rings the Bell (1951)
  • My Wife's Best Friend (1952)
  • Outcasts of Poker Flat (1952)
  • The Perfect Snob (1941)
  • The Raid (1954)
  • Rings on Her Fingers (1942)
  • Secret Agent of Japan (1942)
  • Slattery's Hurricane (1949)
  • Slave Ship (1937)
  • Suez (1938)
  • Sunday Dinner for a Soldier (1944)
  • Sweet Rosie O'grady (1943)
  • They Came to Blow Up America (1943)
  • Three Brave Men (1957)
  • Twelve Hours to Kill (1960)
  • Way of a Gaucho (1952)
I'm impressed that only two titles are not new to DVD. Also they are all roughly 1936-1960 titles definitely aiming to a more "golden age" appeal. Hopefully the next wave has more pre-1936 or post-1960 for those looking for films of those eras.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
I'm impresed that only two titles are not new to DVD
What you mean, of course, is not new to DVD region one.
I already have pressed R2 DVDs of Way Of A Gaucho, The Raid, Diplomatic Courier, Foxes Of Harrow and I know there's an R2 release of Hudson's Bay and Life Begins At 8:30.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks