What's new

Fox Cinema Archives - MODs are coming in June (1 Viewer)

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
Someone suggested we might be seeing some reissues of OOP titles, such was what Sony and MGM have been doing.
No word on the prints, either - considering what has turned up on Fox Movie Channel -who knows!

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Originally Posted by DeWilson /t/321050/fox-cinema-archives-mods-are-coming-in-june#post_3931430
Someone suggested we might be seeing some reissues of OOP titles, such was what Sony and MGM have been doing.
No word on the prints, either - considering what has turned up on Fox Movie Channel -who knows!
Yes, that's not encouraging. I've never seen The Best Things in Life Are Free in widescreen; they always show the pan-and-scan print.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
MattH. said:
Yes, that's not encouraging. I've never seen The Best Things in Life Are Free in widescreen; they always show the pan-and-scan print.
I can top that - B.S. I LOVE YOU (1971) is shown on FOX MOVIE CHANNEL not only full-screen but the edited TV Print in rough shape!

Louis Letizia

Supporting Actor
DeWilson said:
I can top that - B.S. I LOVE YOU (1971) is shown on FOX MOVIE CHANNEL not only full-screen but the edited TV Print in rough shape!
I fear Fox is just gonna issue there back catalog with the same care as their FMC. This is the same version they streamed on Netflix.
I am a movie lover -not a cinephile. I grew up watching Cleopatra on a 13 inch black and white tv -and still got caught up in it. As for tv versions-B.S. I Love You was a very tame R (although I did miss seeing Isis (Joanna Cameron) au naturel. But do not miss Radar O'reilly's bare ass)-and it doesnt lose much in translation-especially for those weaned on the 4:30 Movie where Planet of the Apes and its progeny were reduced to 65 minutes , and still surprisingly enjoyable. Way before vhs, I was so hungry for movies I would buy Patton to play on my Bell and Howell projector. It was so washed out and cut to ribbons and the only sound from it was from the whir of the projector! I still opt to watch movies on a commercial laden , low powered tv station as a nostalgia trip. Its comfort food for the brain.
I very much am thrilled with these MOD programs. I do not get angry at the sometimes poor quality as much as I do thast the studios who used to shun catalog titles or put them out ramshackled with truly ugly cover art are now kissing our asses and not only putting out these obscure movies in grreat volume , but putting the original poster art as the cover! I could only think that either their photoshop software has broken or they are truly listening to us. And I am grateful theyt are.
y

Charles H

Screenwriter
THE MEANEST MAN IN THE WORLD, THE MOON IS DOWN, THE 13TH LETTER, THE BIG SHOW, HOLY MATRIMONY, LADIES IN LOVE, THE PIED PIPER, THE LION, A BELL FOR ADANO, STELLA, both versions of THE FARMER TAKES A WIFE, MR. 880, SUN VALLEY SERENADE, EVERYTHING HAPPENS AT NIGHT, THE SICILLIAN CLAN, WHEN IRISH EYES ARE SMILING, and any chance of WINGED VICTORY or the Will Rogers version of STATE FAIR?

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
Now only if this extended to their TV catalog:
The reminder of Peyton Place
Nanny and the Professor
Julia
The Ghost & Mrs. Muir
Anna & The King
Judd: For The Defense
Felony Squad
Bus Stop
Dobie Gillis
Adventures in Paradise
The Long Hot Summer
Bracken's World
The Green Hornet
-and of course, the Holy Grail, Batman.

Louis Letizia

Supporting Actor
Charles Ellis said:
Now only if this extended to their TV catalog:
The reminder of Peyton Place
Nanny and the Professor
Julia
The Ghost & Mrs. Muir
Anna & The King
Judd: For The Defense
Felony Squad
Bus Stop
Dobie Gillis
Adventures in Paradise
The Long Hot Summer
Bracken's World
The Green Hornet
-and of course, the Holy Grail, Batman.
Thats a great list! Hopefully they will follow WB template. Dobie Gillis was a brilliant, way ahead of its time show. Tuesday Weld was my first black and white crush! (Wrangler Jane was my color one). I didnt know Fox owned this. WB released the movie version with Bobby Van (we can segue back to Lost Horizon now)!
Julia was groundbreaking, but when Nick at Nite had this on a few years back -it seemed rather bland.
The Ghost and Mrs. Muir/ Nanny and the Professor used to be on ABC back to back. Very soothing shows . I miss them. With the publicity Kim Richards is getting as the wacky housewife and Juliet Mills on Hot in Cleveland-this would be a prime release for this. They had very few episaodes --so it would be easy.
Batman would make a great complete set with the one season only Green Hornet as an extra. This would need a deluxe treatment after all these years of anticipation.

Nebiroth

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Richard Gregory
The Ghost and Mrs Muir and Long Hot Summer are out here in the UK....

PaulaJ

Supporting Actor
VIOLENT SATURDAY is available widescreen via Twilight Time, but not anamorphic WS.
I saw 4:3 and thought it was fullscreen... good to know it's widescreen although non-anamorphic. Maybe I will eventually get it. But Fox really should remaster this title (if possible).
KID BLUE is available as an Amazon download if you can't wait.
I have the Spanish DVD of Kid Blue. It's widescreen, but non-anamorphic. I'm hoping for an anamorphic DVD.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Nebiroth said:
The Ghost and Mrs Muir and Long Hot Summer are out here in the UK....
I believe Mr. Ellis is referring to the television shows (not the the films), which to the best of my knowledge are not available in the U.S., UK or anywhere else.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
Louis Letizia said:
Thats a great list! Hopefully they will follow WB template. Dobie Gillis was a brilliant, way ahead of its time show. Tuesday Weld was my first black and white crush! (Wrangler Jane was my color one). I didnt know Fox owned this. WB released the movie version with Bobby Van (we can segue back to Lost Horizon now)!
Julia was groundbreaking, but when Nick at Nite had this on a few years back -it seemed rather bland.
The Ghost and Mrs. Muir/ Nanny and the Professor used to be on ABC back to back. Very soothing shows . I miss them. With the publicity Kim Richards is getting as the wacky housewife and Juliet Mills on Hot in Cleveland-this would be a prime release for this. They had very few episaodes --so it would be easy.
Batman would make a great complete set with the one season only Green Hornet as an extra. This would need a deluxe treatment after all these years of anticipation.
Are we even sure they are going to do any TV?
I also wouldn't expect them to release anything they don't already have transfers on - Movies, or TV.
...and I'd bet my last dollar the first TV Series if they do it would be Peyton Place! The serialized nature of the show would be perfect for MOD - people will continue to buy volumes to follow the story,

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
YEE HAAA!!!!

For me, it's: The Pied Piper (1942), East Lynne (1930), The White Parade (1934) And The Turning Point (1977).

And yes, I know fully well the conditions of the middle two... after all, i went 3,000 KM to UCLA just to view 'em.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
I will be happy with some more Ritz Brothers, Alice Faye, and Betty Grable. And let's don't forget about the existing silents.

8313b01e_coneyisland-1sheet.jpeg

91871864_tinpanalley-1sheet.jpeg

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
I'm also looking forward to the unreleased Will Rogers films, unreleased films from Zanuck's pre-Fox 20th Century Pictures, and the largely unreleased pre-Zanuck Fox films. Seeing some of Raoul Walsh's early films would also be a treat. I've also been waiting for a few of the Ernie Kovacs Fox features to finally be available.
I don't think Fox owns any short subjects outside of Movietone newsreels, correct?
And perhaps Fox can right some past wrongs by making Tobacco Road, the newly released films in the Elia Kazan set, and Cavalcade available as singles, even if they are MODs.

PaulaJ

Supporting Actor
I guess what I really wanted to ask was... do you all think that Fox will remaster any titles that need it (especially widescreen titles that currently have only fullscreen video masters) like Warner and Sony... or will they go the MGM route and slap onto the disc whatever is on hand?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks