What's new

Fox Cinema Archives - MODs are coming in June (1 Viewer)

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I'm delighted that Fräulein is coming. I've been searching for that one for years. May I also recommend Claudia to all admirers of Hitchcock who believe that Rope was the first movie with long takes lasting an entire reel. Claudia's cinematographer was Leon Shamroy who liked long takes with a moving camera. (See A Tree Grows In Brooklyn which Shamroy effectively co-directed) In Claudia there is one take that lasts about 9.5 minutes. Claudia was made five years before Rope.

Roger Cee

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Roger Cotillion
Louis Letizia said:
And finally-with Fox MOD-we have a perfect outlet for.....Megaforce! (also 30 years old ). Sheesh! Now I feel old
Louis, look at your VHS box. Doesn't it say copyright Golden Harvest, the company that owns Amsterdam Kill? If so, maybe Fox released it on VHS but doesn't own it?

Louis Letizia

Supporting Actor
It does indeed. But so does The Cannomball Run, and HBO still controls that
Im glad I kept many vhs....whete are all the Melvin Simon flicks. You would think SCAVENGER HUNT...at kwast...would do dwcwnr business. Id like,to see THE RINNER STUMBLES cleaned up.

kingfish

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul Pisano
i am wondering if we will see soldier boyz with michael dudikoff which was an hbo release.

Joel Arndt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Arndt
Bob Cashill said:
Auteur gaps I'd like to see filled: Otto Preminger's CENTENNIAL SUMMER (46), which seems to have vanished. Rights issues? And THE FAN (49).
A third vote for Centennial Summer. I have always wanted to see this film. Great cast and Jerome Kern's last score which includes- All Through the Day, Up With the Lark, In Love In Vain, among others. The lack of a home video release may be due to Fox's overall disregard for their classics catalogue or, and I may be wrong, it may be issues of political correctness as opposed to "rights issues". I had read somewhere that when this was shown on the SFM Holiday Network many years ago that Avon Long's number Cinderella Sue was excised from the print. A contemporary review from the NYT in 1946 mentions this as one of the film's highlights. Who knows? There are so many variables involved with getting these titles released, but if it is the PC issue Fox's MOD program would be the perfect avenue to get it out there.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by JoelA /t/321050/fox-cinema-archives-mods-are-coming-in-june/60#post_3935592
I had read somewhere that when this was shown on the SFM Holiday Network many years ago that Avon Long's number Cinderella Sue was excised from the print. A contemporary review from the NYT in 1946 mentions this as one of the film's highlights. Who knows? There are so many variables involved with getting these titles released, but if it is the PC issue Fox's MOD program would be the perfect avenue to get it out there.
SFM Holiday Network would cut numbers out of musicals or scenes out of other titles to allow for more advertising time. Orville Redenbacher would also do the same thing so he and his "grandson" could host the films.

Eastmancolor

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim Harwood
FrankXS said:
A second vote for Centennial Summer and when o when will Margie ever escape from her entrapment in the Fox vault. Saw this once on TV, probably the late 60's. How beautiful was Jeanne Crain in the starring role as Margie.
Either TCM or the Fox Movie Channel ran MARGIE last year, as I recorded it onto DVD-R.
Also, CENTENNIAL SUMMER went thru a restoration by Fox in the not-so-distant past, but I don't know if it's been readied for broadcast yet. They also did a new restoration of MARGIE, but the version that ran on TCM or FMC last year was an older transfer.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
For some reason I feel that CENTENNIAL SUMMER will end up with Twilitght Time. Not sure why, just a feeling, but I also feel some of the other Betty Grable and Alice Faye will end up in the MOD program.

kingfish

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul Pisano
i wonder if we will see world war III which was originally a fox home video release.

Louis Letizia

Supporting Actor
kingfish said:
i wonder if we will see world war III which was originally a fox home video release.
Although the 2 tape set was released on video by CBS/Fox-the rights may lie elsewhere. It was an NBC production so it may lie with Universal now. (NBC Productions -Green Ice, Code Name;Emerald were released on video by Fox sub label 0Key Video). Or , the producers were Finnegan -and many of their videos were released by U.S.A. -which Lions Gate controls.

greylocke5

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Richard G.
ahollis said:
For some reason I feel that CENTENNIAL SUMMER will end up with Twilitght Time.  Not sure why, just a feeling, but I also feel some of the other Betty Grable and Alice Faye will end up in the MOD program. 
Twilight Time is being marketed by ScreenArchives, a soundtrack dealer, with an isolated film score an important extra for each release.
I assume that the films they select for release will in part be based on how significant they judge the original film score to be. So if the film score is by one of the major talents, e.g., for 20th Century Fox, Alfred Newman, Bernard Hermann, etc., I would guess it would improve the chances that Twilight Time will want to release it. I don't know if that will include Fox musicals with their big musical stars like Grable and Faye.

greylocke5

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Richard G.
Movies Unlimited has all 35 titles of the initial Fox archive release up for pre-order, with a release date of July 3. Prices at $19.95.
They also have a 20% off code - FATHER - this weekend, valid till midnight eastern time on June 10. Includes half-price shipping; shipping is free if the order is over $50.
I ordered a few of the titles I want the most: Claudia; The Foxes of Harrow; Suez; and Kidnapped.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
greylocke5 said:
I ordered a few of the titles I want the most: Claudia; The Foxes of Harrow; Suez; and Kidnapped.
Please let us know about the quality of the discs and the transfers.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Just bought GIGOT because I thought Jackie Gleason played a touching deaf mute, but though this is 1.85 widescreen... IT IS NOT ANAMORPHIC and looks pretty crappy. I thought even with MOD's we were way past this point.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
ahollis said:
You could not be more right. Shame on Fox and it's MOD program.
Seems Fox sees the MOD program as nothing more than a DVD verson of FOX MOVIE CHANNEL - same prints and all! I'll say it again - what is going on a Century City!

jdee28

Screenwriter
Real Name
John
It even looks like their Fox Movie Channel is dying. It's only on the air from around 4:30am to 2pm, showing many of the same movies over and over. The rest of the broadcast day is devoted to FXM, where they air more contemporary films, now with commercials! I fully expect to see them add commercials to the classic movies too eventually, that is if they don't phase out airing them altogether. Fox is in a bad state. Here's hoping that at least TCM can license some nice titles from them every now and again. I was pleasantly surprised to see the ultra-rare 1933 Leslie Howard film Berkeley Square on TCM in a sparkling new transfer. I imagine that was done just for broadcasting on TCM. Hopefully there will be more pleasant surprises like that in the future.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks