What's new

Energy or B&W Speakers? (1 Viewer)

theresme1

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Johnny Le
I am trying to select some speakers for my HT. I have narrow my choice down to Energy Speakers. I am planning to get the Energy Veritas Series for all of my 5.1 speakers. I went to my local stereo store and listen to the Energy setup and it sounded really good. As I was there the sale guy show me some B&W CM5 bookshelf speakers that sound awesome too. The B&W sounded a little bit clearer than the Energy speakers and look better. They're also twice as much. Does anyone no much about B&W speakers? Is it really worth it to pay twice as much for them? Is it ok to substitute the left and right speaker out, or is it better to keep all the speakers the same?

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Is it really worth it to pay twice as much for them?
Only you can answer that. I have no idea how much value you put on better sound or how your finances will be impacted.

Is it ok to substitute the left and right speaker out, or is it better to keep all the speakers the same?
In a perfect world, all 7 (or 5) speakers would be identical. The next step down is the front 3 being identical. Most people have the front 3 from the same manufacturer/line. That means the center isn't identical to the mains but it is timbre matched so it sounds the same.

theresme1

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Johnny Le
Thanks for your infos. After I wrote these question yesterday, I figured at least the 3 front center should be the same brand.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
B & W has been around for many years and their speakers are very well respected. Most of us have had the Nautilus line on our "wish list" at one time or another. Sound quality is outstanding and apperance is a big draw as well. But they can be very expensive which is why I didn't include them in any of my lists of possibilities. Way over budget.

But remember, while there will always be new features coming to entice you to buy new receivers and disc players, if you buy the right ones speakers can be purchased only once and last many years. If you were to buy the B & W speakers you wouldn't feel the need to replace them for a very long time. some feel the same way about the Veritas.

dmiller68

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Miller
I had a B&W sub for several years. I loved it. B&W makes very good speakers and people I know that have them love them. They have a very rich sound. However, much like was said by others it come to what you like.

winniw

Second Unit
Real Name
Nick Reed
Johnny,

B&W is a high-end, very well respected company. Their products are fantastic. If you can get the B&W without harming your finances, I would absolutely recommend it. If you heard better detail in the B&W's, let me tell you, if you listened to both of them longer, you would hear more and more differences. The greater clarity that you heard will be greatly appreciated with everything thing that you listen to, both movies and music. You will never be sorry that you bought the best speakers and you will feel great satisfaction every time you turn your system on. You can have a very good system with the Energy speakers but you can have a great system with the B&W speakers. Only you can decide if the extra cost is worth it.

To make the purchase easier on finanaces, many people start with a 2.1 system (L&R front speakers with a subwoofer), then later add a center channel, making it a 3.1 system and finally add the the rear speakers, completing a 5.1 system. Also, you could use CM1s for the rear channel and save some money there.

What kind of subwoofer were they using in the showroom with the CM5s?

theresme1

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Johnny Le
Thank you guys for the great infos!!! I am definitely leaning toward B&W. As I am typing this I am going to Magnolia Hi Fi here in Seattle to listen to both of them once more and make my decision soon. I hope the wifey will be ok with spending a little bit more for a better system...:).

dmiller68

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Miller
I want to go to Magnolia HiFi, they do have nice setups for the most part for demoing speakers! Wife would kill me if I went there... ;)

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
If you do go with the B&W, skip their subs. For the same price you can get an internet direct model that will beat it hands down.

theresme1

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Johnny Le
Guys, I just spent about 3 hours at Magnolia Hi Fi and ended up blowing my 3k budget for only the right, left speakers and receiver. After three hours of harassing the nice sale man I ended up buying the B&W C5 for $1650 and the Pioneer Elite SC-35 for $1200. I am sooo way over my budget now! Wifey gonna kill me! I still need sub, center and rear speakers. I had only planned to spend about $700 to $800 on my receiver, but after the sale man show me how much better the Pioneer Elite receiver did with the B&W I had to buy the better Receiver to accommodate the speakers. I have 30 days to return the Receiver, so if you guys think I can get a better Receiver for $1200, let me know. Thanks again guy.

theresme1

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Johnny Le
Yes, I did see that Amazon had it for $970. Magnolia had it for $1200 so I ask them to match the Amazon price but the best they could do is $1060. I decided for a hundred more it'e better if I buy from some one local just incase I want to exchange or return it. I am still debating on getting the Epson 8700 or the Panny U4000. Most likely I will go with the Epson since I've seen it in action already at some store. I still have yet to find a place that has the Panny for me to view. I want to buy a sub that would accommodate the Speakers. You guys have any good suggestion? The sale man at Magnolia suggested the Martin Login Dynamo 700 for $700.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
For $100 more, the Epik Empire would be a great choice - http://www.epiksubwoofers.com/empire.html

If you want a sub the same quality as the B&W speakers, then the SVS Ultra is the obvious choice - http://www.svsound.com/products-sub-box-pb13ultra.cfm

theresme1

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Johnny Le
Robert, I am fairly new on here, but I understand that you are the guy to go to for any subs questions. Maybe you can help me with my placement for the sub in my kinda weird room before I decide on what sub to get. I have a room that is 30x11. The 11ft wall will be where I'm gonna have my projector screen. Also up front I will have my left, right, and center speakers. All my Receiver will be up front and below my projector screen too. With all these equipments up front where do you think I should put my sub?

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Every room is different and width and depth really don't give enough information. Height as well as additional openings need to be taken into account. Finally seating location will have the biggest impact.

Front corner loading usually gives you the most output which is what you want. You can always add an EQ to tame any peaks in the in-room frequency response. A null is room induced and you can't EQ it away. That's when you have to move the sub, move your seat or both.

For my room, I put my subs in the front, center and left them there. I knew I would need an EQ due to the drivers I chose but it really helped in the overall sound of the sub. After taming my inductance peak at 55hz, I tamed a few other peaks and boosted the low end a few db. My subs are now + or - 3db from 80hz to 17hz. The roll-off down low is pretty shallow so that I can still hear and feel output below 15hz. All of this from dual 15" drivers, a pro amp and a pro EQ.

theresme1

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Johnny Le
Thanks for the quick reply, Robert. I have only one window at the end of the other 11ft wall and my ceiling is about 7ft high only. I am planning to have only one row of seating and the seating will be about 15ft away from the screen. This is a basement room. I want to put the sub in front but I am afraid some of the better sub are gonna be bigger and would be difficult for me to place it there since my main stage is too small. I want a good but small speaker so that I can try to squeeze it in up front. I forgot to mention to you that my projector screen size I plan to buy is about 53ft high and 96ft wide. which doesn't give me much space up front.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
my projector screen size I plan to buy is about 53ft high and 96ft wide
That is slightly larger than the largest screen in the local Malco theaters. That room seats 1,200 people. Did you mean inches?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks