What's new

Energy or B&W Speakers? (1 Viewer)

theresme1

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Johnny Le
My room is 10.5x30. I plan to have my projectors and my receiver up front on the 10.5 wall. Its a narrow and long room so I think I would only be able to fit in a medium size sub. I don't really know where to position the sub yet. My budget is about $600. I almost bought a Martin Logan Dynamo 700 for $700, but I've been reading and most people says that I can get something online like SVS or HSU sub at the same price that would perform a lot better. I understand that each sub produce differently. I like a sub where I can feel the bass. Since I can't test any of those speakers out because it's all sold online. Would you please give me a recommendation? Thank you.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Martin Logan Dynamo 700
From the ML site, it is a 10" driver and 300w amp. $700!!!! They are really proud of their subs. 24–200 Hz ±3dB is the spec they give for a sealed sub. But they don't give total SPL output.

http://www.svsound.com/products-sub-cyl-pc12_nsd.cfm - Same price as the ML. 12" driver and 400w amp. 18Hz to 130Hz +/- 3 dB means it will play 1/2 octave lower and the larger driver means that it will play louder with less distortion. Check out the news http://www.svsound.com/news-news.cfm and scroll down to July 2010. Ron, standing in the picture, met the other founder (Tom) on this forum back in the old DIY section. Steven, kneeling in the picture, is one of the best transducer engineers in the business. I bought four 15", hand built subs from him when he worked at TC Sounds. Some of the best drivers I have ever owned.

http://www.epiksubwoofers.com/empire.html - $100 more than the ML. Dual 15", opposed drivers. 20-300 Hz +/-3.5 dB anechoic & 15 Hz or lower in-room extension. With opposed drivers, the enclosure doesn't move at all. The dual 15's means is plays louder with less distortion than the SVS. The owner, Chad, is a member here.

Don't forget Elemental Designs and Hsu Research. Both are also great companies.

theresme1

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Johnny Le
Again, Thank you Robert. Can you tell me if there is any different from a box sun and a cylinder sub?

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The shape. If you need floor space and don't mind a vertical sub, then a cylinder is perfect for you. If you can spare more floor space but can't go high, then a box should be your choice. Some were severely limited in height and used a cylinder on it's side.

Enclosure volume is important to a sub, not the shape.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks