What's new

DVDs you've bought solely for demo purposes (1 Viewer)

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
against my better judgement, i starting to think about picking up Reloaded.
i did not enjoy the movie as a dramatic vehicle and i'm not interested in further study of it's...philosophical implications.
i do have to admit though, that several action scenes/shots have stayed with me after only 1 viewing, and every time i pass the dvd on a stores big screen set-up, i'm impressed with how nice the transfer looks.
i've bought other discs before that made good demo material (like U-571) although i wasn't a huge fan of the movie, but never before where i've actually disliked the dramatic content.

anybody else ever pick up a dvd for just one or two scenes?

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
STARSHIP TROOPERS SB. I'm not a big fan of the movie at all, but it sure does look and sound nice on a good rig.

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
I've been tempted a few times for a couple seconds, but I never gave in to temptation.

I will never purchase a DVD simply because of the picture and/or sound quality. The audio/video mean nothing if the film itself sucks.

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
I would never buy a movie that is 'demo' only material. I have LOTR and that's more than enough. I've got quite a few others but they are all movies that I love.

David Galindo

Screenwriter
Well, I have quite a few. Pearl Harbor: Vista 4-disc edition (was only $9.99, couldn't resist), U-571, and Star Wars Ep 2.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Never done it.

I figure, even if I felt the need to show off (which I don't), there are enough movies I actually like which fit the bill on my shelf.

Aaron Garman

Second Unit
I'm so guilty of doing this. I had to get the Haunting DTS for that DTS track, but I was one of the few that actually enjoyed the movie too. The sound and set design were so cool. I also did pick up Pearl Harbor 2 Disc for the battle at Pearl Harbor. I'd love to get the Vista Series just to check out the extras, but I don't want to pay the price. If I could find it for $10, I'd be sold!

AJG

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Part of the 'communal' experience of Home Theater, in a physical sense, is showing off your system to fellow HT equipment geeks, or those getting their first taste of HT. I'm definitely into HT for the film content, but can still appreciate demos in some ways.

Owning a FP system manifests itself in several related ways. ( I approach it from a visual standpoint; certainly there are plenty of folks who take an audio approach to demos. )

- One of the real fun aspects of an FP is showing it off to friends. Their first time reactions to seeing something like The Fifth Element, Starship Troopers or one of the other oft-cited demo titles is enjoyable in and of itself.

- The second way, and a more film-centric way at that, in which demos work is in the ability on a FP system to see 'classics' on a bigger screen that really does some measure of justice to those titles. Examples including the chariot race from Ben-Hur, Omar Sharif's approach in Lawrence of Arabia, the denouement of The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly, or selected scenes from 2001: A Space Odyssey.

That is how I approach demos. In the early days (1997/1998) I purchased some marginal films on the strength of their A/V presentation, but there are so many choices available that A/V isn't enough these days.

- Walter.

Tony-B

Senior HTF Member
Well, I actually bought Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring Extended Edition mainly for demo purposes. It's an alright movie, but I just wanted it mainly for the A/V quality and the extras. :)

david*mt

Second Unit
I've never purchased a dvd simply for demo purposes. The reason being is that I own tons of dvds like LOTR EE, Blade 2, Gladiator, Lion King, T2 UE, and Toy Story 2 which all make great demo material so there really is no need for me.

Sergio

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sergio Perez-More
Well,

I just ordered Gladiator Superbit from Japan.This is one of my favorites movies. The only problem, the cost "$54.90" deliver to my door in 3-5 days.

Sometimes our hobby can be expensive.

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
i got lotr ee ONLY for demo and extras. i dont like the movie much, but i love extras and commentaries and documentaries. even if they are about a movie i dont care for. i'll get tt ee and rotk ee for the same reasons.

CJ

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
Just curious, but if don't like LOTR then why the hell would you want 12 hours of commentaries about it and 6 hours of extras?

Shit that's the last thing you would catch me doing, spending time learning about a movie I don't like.

Dave Nelms

Stunt Coordinator
I have to admit that I have purchased DVDs, and before that LDs, solely for demonstration purposes. In fact my favorite demo disc on DVD and DTS laser disc is Super Speedway. Once I play the 'one the track' chapter my buddies wives are hiding the credit cards.

I really love my home theater and I want to share this passion with as many of my friends and family as possible. There are times when I do not care for a movie in the theater but when I get it home and watch it in my theater, I love it. This was the case, for me, with Independence Day and Men in Black. When I have friends over they want to see and hear the big booms and the spectacular sounds of whizzing bullets and space ship fly overs from films that are mostly current and ones they liked, even if those were films you did not (Pearl Harbor, Matrix Reloaded, Armageddon, ect...)

The biggest problem I have is where to keep all my DVDs. Once I get them I never want to get rid of them, even if I did not like the film. My wife insists that I am part pack-rat.

Eric Eash

Second Unit
i have bought some demo material, but mainly to show off to myself and my wife. the more i can make my see how good all this equipment i buy is, the happier she is to buy me more. also, i'm in the process of building my own super-subwoofer, so the more bass-filled dvds i have the better. but i have never bought a movie that i didn't like just for demo purchases. maybe they weren't on my must have list, but i still like them.

eric

DustinDT

Agent
I recently built an AV-15 based sub. During the 5 months of pre-order time I accumulated 10 or so movies for the sole reason that they were said to have good LFE tracks. I couldn't bring myself to watch them untill the sub was complete.

It was worth the wait : )

Skyler

Stunt Coordinator
I have bought a few to Demo the PB2+;

Daredevil
The Haunting DTS
Pearl Harbor DC

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks