What's new

Do I need a center channel? (1 Viewer)

imjay

Auditioning
Real Name
jim
Acceptable sound - stereo or surround - is a VERY subjective thing and everyone will hear things different.

Heck, I know a guy who claims that he can hear a big difference between a $1000.00 tweeter and a $10,000.00 tweeter!!!

Recently I tested our rock & roll stereo against our smaller 5:1 surround - both Onkyo.

The stereo is older but much more expensive Onkyo component system with GIANT Cerwan-Vega floor speakers with 15 inch woofs and HUGE power handling capacity and we have two PA columns in the back of the room for rear speakers.

Take my word no sub-woffer required!!! The 15s in the big floor speakers can knock down walls and the over all sound watching a movie was as enjoyable as the surround system.

Center Channel Speaker - you can live without one - HT pure of heart will say I am a heretic or not cultured but - fact it - ya don't need it to enjoy watching a movie on a 10 ft screen!!!

Audio is important and a valuable accessory to the main thing which is and always will be the SCREEN!!
Good Luck

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
I've operated my own HT system in phantom center mode for nearly 8 years and have been happy with it. As far as any dynamic range compression or difficulties with hearing dialog, I have not noticed any problems.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks