What's new

Disney buys LucasFilms for $4.05 billion (1 Viewer)

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Well, have at it!
Darth Vader/ Emperor Zurg crossover time?
Has anyone's head exploded yet at the thought that the dialogue in the next Star Wars movie will be written not by George Lucas, but possibly by someone who works in a building with the word "PIXAR" on it?

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I admit that I'm very intrigued to see what someone other than George Lucas will do with Star Wars in movie form but having read plenty of Lucas-free SW novels and comics over the years, it certainly doesn't guarantee great or even remotely good results.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
For Apple fans, the other good news in this is that the likelihood of Star Wars available through iTunes just shot through the damn roof.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Iger clarifies.. Disney has rights to all Star Wars, ASAP, Fox has no more distribution rights. Indy stays at Paramount for now. Disney also is planning extension in the universe for Disney XD (animated) series, so figure Clone Wars to move or change.

http://www.deadline.com/2012/10/star-wars-disney-episode-7-three-more-movies-planned/

Scott McGillivray

Supporting Actor
I can only see better things coming from this.
This franchise could do great things again if others were allowed in play in that toy box of history and characters.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Originally Posted by Adam Gregorich /t/324825/disney-buys-lucasfilms-for-4-05-billion#post_3995390
First Marvel and now Lucas. The Mouse is on the march!
I guess Marvel Studios REALLY wanted the rights to Howard the Duck back .

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Originally Posted by mattCR /t/324825/disney-buys-lucasfilms-for-4-05-billion#post_3995447
Iger clarifies.. Disney has rights to all Star Wars, ASAP, Fox has no more distribution rights. Indy stays at Paramount for now. Disney also is planning extension in the universe for Disney XD (animated) series, so figure Clone Wars to move or change.

http://www.deadline.com/2012/10/star-wars-disney-episode-7-three-more-movies-planned/

To clarify:

"There are some encumbrances with the first Stars Wars films with Fox and some encumbrances with Indiana Jones with Paramount,” said Rasulo. Iger said that, while he “loves the franchise,” the Indiana Jones films were not a big factor in the deal because of Paramount’s rights to the franchise. Fox has no future distribution rights to any further Star Wars films, the execs said.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I haven't even read the article yet (I'm hoping there's no prohibition against releasing the OOT in the future in high definition), but I have to ask:
Was I the only one who read this thread's headline and had to check if it wasn't April 1?

:laugh:
I'll have more comments once I get up to speed on all the happenings. Of course we all know that Disney is no stranger to never re-releasing original versions of things (Song of the South), But of course if latent racism was the reasoning behind that, we may never see the unedited prequels...or they may completely re-dub Jar Jar and the Trade Federation. :D

Brian Sallot

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brian
All I can say is..this is a shocker. I can only hope that Star Wars can now live up to the potential that the original trilogy had started. I also hope there is a possible future release of the original trilogy on bluray. I have a couple of hopes but only time will tell.

Later everyone.

David Deeb

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
BobO'Link said:
Maybe now we'll finally get the remastered anamorphic theatrical versions of Eps. IV-VI...
If the pent-up demand, ranting and clamor are any indication, Disney will get back half their investment just from the release of those 3 films.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Scott Merryfield said:
That was the first thing I thought of when I heard the news of the sale.
Considering all the trouble he's gone to change the originals and not release them, I'd be surprised if the sale didn't allow Lucas to still keep the 'old' versions buried. I've love to be wrong though.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
The thing I'm really hopeful for here doesn't even involve Star Wars. It involves two dead franchises at LucasArts that were going to be films but then stopped.

The Curse of Monkey Island (originally a film concept in 2000, it stopped)

And Orson Scott Card's brilliant "The Dig"

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
For that kind of scratch, I doubt if Disney made any such allocation. I think Disney will work out some kind of mutually beneficial deal with Fox to get some new discs out, and they will likely be the ones we've been waiting for.

SD_Brian

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Tony J Case said:
The one thing that makes me sad about the Disney deal? No more 20th Century Fox logo. For years, until I started watching other movies, other Fox movies, the Fox Fanfare was part of the Star Wars theme. As a little kid back in the seventies, listening to the Story of Star Wars hundreds of times over and over again, the two were inseparable in my mind. Even today it just doesn't seem right to have the theme sans Fanfare.
So Disney Castle instead of spotlights? I'll miss the way it was. . . .
If you think that's bad, wait until they try to further the Indiana Jones franchise and have to figure out a way to dissolve from the Disney castle logo to a matching, castle-like shape!

Mikael Soderholm

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mikael Söderholm
TravisR said:
I love the idea that being with Disney absolutely guarantees that Star Wars will be around for a loooooong time in some form.
mattCR said:
Disney also is planning extension in the universe for Disney XD (animated) series, so figure Clone Wars to move or change.
Yeah, well, it will be around but in the form of animation, not sure that's what I'd like...;)
A bad feeling I have about this...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks