What's new

Disney buys LucasFilms for $4.05 billion (1 Viewer)

hanshotfirst1138

Second Unit
Real Name
Mike
OK, so I'm sure it's been asked, but here's the million dollar question: will we get the original versions of the original trilogy out of this? Cynical bastard that I am, I wouldn't be surprised if Lucas out in some sort of contractual lock to ensure that them never coming out again was a part of the deal. Also, granting that it may ever come out, what about the original versions of Raiders, American Graffiti, and particularly THX 1138?? Are they lost causes?
On another note, major kudos to George, apparently almost all of this money is going to charity. That A LOT of cash to be giving away to charity, and I for one salute him. Yeah, fans can pull the "But I wish he'd do something nice for the fans" nonsense, but the stuff he's done to his movies is fiction. This is real life, and I for one take my hat off to him for giving to those in need. Any praise he get for doing that is richly deserved.

Bob_S.

Screenwriter
Does anyone know if he plans to donate any money to film preservation? With that kind of dough, it could save a ton of old films starting with The Alamo.

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
hanshotfirst1138 said:
OK, so I'm sure it's been asked, but here's the million dollar question: will we get the original versions of the original trilogy out of this? Cynical bastard that I am, I wouldn't be surprised if Lucas out in some sort of contractual lock to ensure that them never coming out again was a part of the deal. Also, granting that it may ever come out, what about the original versions of Raiders, American Graffiti, and particularly THX 1138?? Are they lost causes?
On another note, major kudos to George, apparently almost all of this money is going to charity. That A LOT of cash to be giving away to charity, and I for one salute him. Yeah, fans can pull the "But I wish he'd do something nice for the fans" nonsense, but the stuff he's done to his movies is fiction. This is real life, and I for one take my hat off to him for giving to those in need. Any praise he get for doing that is richly deserved.
Nothing has been changed in Raiders, save for the removal of a snake reflection in the glass protecting the actors I have trouble seeing most of the time. ;)
Preventing any theatrical screenings of the original Star Wars is not fiction. Lucasfilm once blocked an AFI screening where the 1977 version was selected to represent the best of the 1970's. The apparent reluctance to even talk about the changes to THX, on the commentary track or the documentary, borders on rewriting a film's history. (Unlike the Star Wars SE's, there are no restoration or new FX credits.) The "Director's Cut" label is a bit confusing, as Lucas restored his cut for a 1978 reissue.
I praise George for his huge generosity, yet I can still respectfully disagree with how he treats his old movies.

hanshotfirst1138

Second Unit
Real Name
Mike
SilverWook said:
Nothing has been changed in Raiders, save for the removal of a snake reflection in the glass protecting the actors I have trouble seeing most of the time. ;)
Preventing any theatrical screenings of the original Star Wars is not fiction. Lucasfilm once blocked an AFI screening where the 1977 version was selected to represent the best of the 1970's. The apparent reluctance to even talk about the changes to THX, on the commentary track or the documentary, borders on rewriting a film's history. (Unlike the Star Wars SE's, there are no restoration or new FX credits.) The "Director's Cut" label is a bit confusing, as Lucas restored his cut for a 1978 reissue.
I praise George for his huge generosity, yet I can still respectfully disagree with how he treats his old movies.
Yeah, that and the thing guiding the rock at the beginning. Small changes, I know, but I'm a purist. More importantly, however, I've heard about changes made to the colors and the audio mix on the Blu-Ray release. The THX 1138 thing sounds borderline Orwellian, I wonder what hell the deal is with that? At least it was acknowledged on Star Wars. I wonder if he still has some sort of say over the control of that, or if they just haven't released the original because they don't think it'll bring in much? I think it's owned by AZ, an Coppola was pretty into restoration recently with the whole Godfather thing. I'm guessing Lucas still has final say on this. It bothers me that people don't talk about the THX 1138 changes than the Star Wars ones because I think it gets at a larger issue about the importance of film preservation and the changing of history. It's why I'm wondering about it with regards to the Disney buyout. Yeah, I disagree with George's treatment of his films too, but that's fiction. This money he's given to charity is very real, and I for one thing he deserves all the praise he can get for it.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
If the ultimate plan is for Disney to make films in the Star Wars universe that are loosely tied together, like the Marvel movies, I'd like to see an Obi-Wan movie set after Revenge of the Sith when he's watching over Luke. We know there was some conflict between him and Owen, I'd like to see that explored. Could also be an invitation to have appearances by Darth Vader and other saga characters. Do it while Ewan MacGregor is the right age.

That said, like everyone else, I welcome a third trilogy with Hamill, Ford and Fisher.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Originally Posted by Sam Favate /t/324825/disney-buys-lucasfilms-for-4-05-billion/180#post_3999363
If the ultimate plan is for Disney to make films in the Star Wars universe that are loosely tied together, like the Marvel movies, I'd like to see an Obi-Wan movie set after Revenge of the Sith when he's watching over Luke. We know there was some conflict between him and Owen, I'd like to see that explored. Could also be an invitation to have appearances by Darth Vader and other saga characters. Do it while Ewan MacGregor is the right age.

That said, like everyone else, I welcome a third trilogy with Hamill, Ford and Fisher.

I'd like to see them make a one-off film set during the clone wars, that would be exciting, i felt the movies showed us the beginning of it and the end of it but missed a lot of stuff inbetween, now that's one to do before Ewan gets too old, another idea is explore the Yoda character, he is very old, go back 700 years and make a trilogy based on Yoda, of course it'll need other interesting characters set around him.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
FoxyMulder said:
I'd like to see them make a one-off film set during the clone wars, that would be exciting, i felt the movies showed us the beginning of it and the end of it but missed a lot of stuff inbetween...
I'd love to see that but I think they're going to leave The Clone Wars to the TV series (if you haven't seen it, it's excellent overall). Granted, after the new trilogy ends in 2020 or so, the show will almost definitely be over so maybe a movie isn't out of the realm of possibility at that point. Ideas like that are why I wish they were doing lots of movies so we could see many different ideas, stories and time periods from many different people.

Coressel

Supporting Actor
http://www.starwars.com/news/michael-arndt-to-write-screenplay-for-star-wars-episode-vii.html

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
Id also love to see a film with MacGregor set between 3 and 4. Would be interesting to see them explore the idea that "Obi Wan once thought as you do...." properly and give them the opportunity to use Vader too. No reason they couldn't use Yoda or Liam Neeson either.
Good choice I think for the screenplay writer and I think the idea of George as consultant with another writer is a good one. However, the director is going to be key here - I must be one of the few who doesnt want JJ Abrams. But I think it depends on whether the trilogy is going to be 3 separate stories, 1 setup film and a two part closer or 1 long story arc. I quite like the idea of David Yates and Id love to see a David Fincher SW film :)

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
The other thing is how do you use the original trilogy cast ? Age is a huge factor here for how they are portrayed in the film, and I can accept Hamill as an older Jedi, but how exactly do you use Solo and Leia ? Cameos seem pointless.
Prediction for opening shot if original cast are in it - pan down from crawl to see Millenium Falcon flying towards screen, first line from Chewie. and Han's first line " I have a bad feeling about this" - guaranteed!!!! :)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I think the best case is Star Wars goes the way of Star Trek or James Bond: ongoing movies, standing alone, loosely related to each other. Some sort of reboot every few years.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks