What's new

Back from Hollywood: A brief summary of our trip, plus: CLONES, SPIDER-MAN and MORE! (1 Viewer)

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
There is a huge difference between
1) Being critical of a studio's policy and formulating an argument that fits your criticism.
or
2) Bashing a studio and throwing mud.
3) Criticizing and/or bashing individual employees of a studio.
Sometimes there is a fine line that can be accidently breached, and sometimes one stumbles all the way over the line.
I'm not pointing fingers, and I'm not certainly not blameless myself (though I always try to think about it from both sides).
Remember, if you are not respectful of a person that you are talking to (or talking about publicly), you are hurting your own cause and giving them a valid excuse to ignore you.
Reasoned responses have better results than emotional reactions.

Todd Phillips

Second Unit
I will not shop at Walmart (I've always preferred Target anyway. Plus often carry both P&S and Widescreen DVDs of the same title).
I generally don't shop at Walmart, except to buy Widescreen DVDs. They need to know the market exists, and I am happy to provide it for them.

Elliott Willschick

Second Unit
While I have never been angry with a studio, I believe they do owe us in the sense that we are the people who buy their products. If they do not meet our expectations then they don't deserve our money. My concern is with the end product and if they cannot put out something acceptable then I will not purchase their disc. The forum's goal should be to have a place for people to state their opinion with intelligence and not a place to attack people.
On the other hand, I do not expect each DVD to be tailored to my own personal tastes. Although how cool would that be? :)

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I couldn't agree more. Question, though: Do you think phrases like "EPK drivel" and "we were pawns in the game to grow DVD" make a commentary sound more mature or less?
M.

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
Hi guys! I finally got back to Maine at 3 AM Monday morning (argh!!)

One on the things that I took back from LA was that EVERY PERSON we met was an enthusiast JUST LIKE us! They want extras, director commentaries, enhanced widescreen, and flawless audio on every release but there are many reasons why they cant do this.

Another take away from this is that the "big chains" (Wal-Mart types) are demanding pan and scan. We need to lobby them, they hear from the pro P&S people all the time but they dont hear from the OAR supporters.

Just my thoughts.

regards

Gregg

Adam_WM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adam Moreau
Ron, you mentioned that the R2D2 mockumentary was on the disc. Is it the whole thing or just the preview?

Daniel Kikin

Screenwriter
Thanks for the report Ron. This is a little OT, but seeing the picture with you by the Hollywood sign brought back memories of a trip a year ago where my friend and I did the same thing at what looks like the same spot but some old guy sent his dog after is even though we were across the street from his house. Just curious, which street was the picture above picture taken on?

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Glad to see you guys got to hang out with Peter for a day. He's such an enthusiast himself that meeting him or discussing something online with him always felt much more like the HTF member side of him rather than "studio rep".
I think any sensible HTFer knows that the studios have big money pressure being put on them. However, we are trying to push back I suppose. It's wrong to belittle people who have clearly gone out of their way to listen to us, even when you aren't sure that they really have your interests in mind. At least they listened.
The real problem is the same one we've all been bitching about for the last year (and were all worked up worrying about the years before that). Mainstream consumers entering the market and redirecting the format in a lesser direction.
But I'd like to think that some of the time when we post "I won't buy a non-OAR product" its not meant fully in anger with the studio (at least those that show some interest in the enthusiasts), but as ammunition for them to turn to others and say "See, I think P&S (or whatever issue) is a bad idea and here's some proof." The problem is that someone else in the room will then hand them a sales sheet from the major Joe6 chains and shut them down. But its still better than if we just kept quiet.
Also, I would like to say that studios that have come to listen to us have shown some very positive changes with their product. MGM comes most to mind as they really had a tough time with the issues that were thrown at them when they had their chat, but it sure seemed like they heard a lot of what we said in the long run.
Back to Peter, I really hope that the sales on Say Anything and Zardoz went at least as well as projected. I know I got my copies of both and promoted each title to all my friends. If they made money with these 2 then great for everyone, and if they didn't then let me at least say "Thanks Peter", I know it sucks when you put your neck on the line and it doesn't come through...but you still did a good thing. Hopefully the karma police will stop by your place sometime with a reward for those efforts. :emoji_thumbsup:
BTW, I know that nationals can have their problems, but Sarah and I so loved the LA meet from a couple of years ago that I would LOVE to see another one come together in some fashion.
It wouldn't require tons of backdoor studio time that you guys had (or the previous meets had), but just the HTFers getting together in film nirvana. :) I would have loved to join up with you guys this year just for the evening conversations and possibly some film runs.
Perhaps something where members would pay for rooms, etc up front in full to curb any drop-outs that made it tough on you in the past. 3-5 HTFers together is fun, but 10-20 is better. ;)
Now I really wish I'd made the drive over to Scooter's this year at least (didn't know Scott and Dana would be there :) ).

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
I wanted to add something about this...
It's Walmart that dictates the format films are
released in.
Is it just me or does this turn everyone else's stomach with a mix of fear and anger. ;)
I mean good god, who thinks that Walmart of all groups should have that sort of power.
That's why enthusiasts (like Knapp, for example) have been saying all along "it's better to be in a niche market with higher prices".
I would sure love to see DVD split into 2 groups - cheap Joe6 product and the high-end niche product that costs a bit more. That way we might have a product that we actually have some financial say in (being the only group buying it). Send out the regular product in the lightweight form, then later follow-up with a more expensive, enthusiast-friendly version.

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
Thanks Ron. I hope we can win back some studio reps. At least them lurking here and seeing what things we want and don't want can only be good for what we finally get. You're right though, our arguments need to be legitimate, thought out and polite.

Kenneth Cummings

Supporting Actor
Yay, Ron is back, I missed seeing his posts here, as it was a bit quiet at HTF for the time. Sad that Wal-Mart is the controler of sales, but doesn't mean thing can't change in a year time, like Blockbuster did before them.

But enough of the negative and more on the postive of the trip. I glad to hear that AotC is looking good, and the studios are going to putting out some nice gifts for us this year. By the way, is there any secret DVD in works that you know about Ron? (don't tell us if you can't reveal it)?

And good job to Columbia Tri-Star and Fox for being nice enough to let you visit and try out their stuff. And one note, is the security still tight up there like it was last year, Ron?

Geoff_D

Supporting Actor
Send out the regular product in the lightweight form, then later follow-up with a more expensive, enthusiast-friendly version.
Eh? Aren't Columbia doing this already? Think BHD, Resident Evil, Panic Room. Or have I taken you too literally? And thank Yoda I live in R2 land. None of this pan-and-scan only crap that annoys the Stateside majority of HTF members.

And on a lighter note, I think everyone had an inkling that AOTC on dvd would be damn sweet, they just didn't dare believe it after the TPM haloing debacle. It's a shame there's no more footage of that little green man kicking ass, but you can't have everything.

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
Do you think phrases like "EPK drivel" and "we were pawns in the game to grow DVD" make a commentary sound more mature or less?
I call it like I see it. As for whether it's mature? How many children use the words "drivel" or "pawn"? Getting a little personal, aren't we?

You obviously feel differently about the studios than I do. The difference is, I accept that you have a right to voice your opinion. I also have a right to express mine, as long as I don't resort to personal attacks. Corporations are open season.

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
Thanks for the report Ron. However, I don't think "backing off" is the answer. Like someone said above, we just need to express are opinion in a professional and polite way.

The studios owe us nothing.
I think they owe us a little bit. If it wasn't for us enthusiasts, DVD would have never taken off like it did, and the studios would not be making money hand over fist with DVD. I know this sounds a bit immature, but I know I got at least a dozen people into DVD, and how many they got into it is unknown.

I personally really don't care that much about extras anymore. All I want is a wonderful transfer in the proper OAR and a fantastic audio track. I used to watch extras all of the time, but now it takes something really special for me to sit down and watch them. They have pretty much been all done before so if you seen one disc of extras, you have seen them all. I even decided to only get the 4-disc set of LOTR instead of the five. I really only want the film and I can't see paying all that money for a bunch of extras I probablly won't watch or will only watch once and a package that won't fit properly on my rack. I am a film lover 1st and an extras lover 2nd, a very far and distant 2nd.

Bring on HD-DVD. I know I won't be telling anyone about that format. I'd rather pay double the cost of a disc than have f**king Wal-Mart ruin another format.

-Dean-

Matthew Brown

Supporting Actor
Ron -

Thank you for an unbiased report. It's refreshing to know that the moderators of this forum have always maintained their integrity when it comes to voicing concerns to the studios and relaying information back the forum. There are so many other sites that get swayed by these companies that they fail to point out the negative when it exists. Your report was very balanced.

So for the moment, it looks like the studios have some good things on the way and some things that for lack of a better term , we'll have to "agree to disagree" with.

Thanks,
Matt

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
you mentioned that the R2D2 mockumentary was on the disc. Is it the whole thing or just the preview?
It's a five min preview as I stated. The full thing will span a series of web documentaries. I THINK it may be set up via an exclusive weblink off of the AOTC DVD itself, not sure. A lot of laughter value from this trailer alone.

Dan

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
That's why HD-DVD needs to stay a niche market. The best it can be (OAR, 1080p, MLP encoded PCM audio, etc.), without input from Walmart and other "evil" and misinformed corporations.

I'd rather pay $35 for ultimate quality in an HD-DVD than $15 for crapped on DVD.

Also, where the hell is the talent in all this decision making?? Why aren't cinematographers, directors, and actors coming to bat for us? They bemoan altering and dumbing down their products right and left, but they are virtually silent on the problems we are facing with home video.

Dan

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
I call it like I see it. As for whether it's mature? How many children use the words "drivel" or "pawn"? Getting a little personal, aren't we?

You obviously feel differently about the studios than I do. The difference is, I accept that you have a right to voice your opinion. I also have a right to express mine, as long as I don't resort to personal attacks. Corporations are open season
I agree with you 100% Brian. I would never personally attack Peter Staddon or any other Rep for that matter, but when a studio releases a hacked up DVD, I think they should hear about it, in a professional way. As far as constantly wasting space with EPK's and pointless commentaries, they are exactly that, a waste of space. Here is what should be on DVDs as extras. Documentaries that are like The Abyss, 12 Monkey's, or Episode 1. They don't have to be that long, but make them high in Quality. I will watch a well put together 30 minute documentary any day of the week, but I refuse to watch the constant pad on the back and "He/she was so brilliant" EPK stuff that the DVD packaging likes to call "Documentary/featurette/Behind-the-Scenes".

-Dean-

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Personally, I think it is sad that we don't have studio chats anymore. I've always felt that was a good two-way communications tool for this forum, and a lot of good came out of it. I know for some studios it was a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation, but I always think it is better to say something and have people be mad at that, rather than say nothing and have people be mad at stuff that may not exist.

Jason

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks