What's new

How To Encourage More More Movies/Television To Be Released On DVD Or Blu-ray? (1 Viewer)

greenscreened

Second Unit
Real Name
Bob
Judging from ourselves, our friends, family and co-workers, there are a lot of Movies and Television shows that have yet not been committed to disc, or at least a decent non-PD version of it, including media from the last twenty or so years, which the latter wouldn’t interest me much.

I know many representatives of the major studios frequent this site, as well as many media distribution companies, such as MPI, which is a good thing, as they can get a general feel of what titles the Home Theater professionals, as well as the movie and television buffs that are members here, should consider giving a proper restoration to.

Even though the Home Theater is brimming with talented professionals in all arenas, there is only so much we can do on our own, even on a great site such as this.

Not trying to put anymore weight on site owner Ron's shoulders, which is a full time job in itself, but I notice HT has a Facebook page.
Would it be possible to pick a fairly recent non-released Movie or Television title that would be of interest to the forty-year-olds and younger (although plenty of oldsters frequent Facebook as well), something to get them into the groove of getting a never before released product released on some sort of disc, if that’s possible, as the younger generation may be more interested in streaming it, and, something that will be easy and cost-efficient for the powers that be to finally release, and start an unofficial release campaign?

Start an informal rally of sorts, by showing select clip(s) (from a hand-picked easy to di$tribute title), either supplied by YouTube or elsewhere, to get a general release, or a full restoration (with extras) ball rolling, on a $elect title.
If it works for that strategically picked title, try one or two more, to develop a strength in numbers release group, as they, and we, would see how easy it was for the previous title(s).
Perhaps then, would we be more likely to eventually inspire others to join in our older-classic choices.
In the process, it could heard a few of the younger generation here, wherein they would now be introduced to other older shows, that they weren’t previously aware of, and possibly add some number$ to our favorite shows, or, merely just gain more release to DVD/BR followers, or, new members in general?

As I’ve mentioned earlier, lots of people with the power to release such material to disc either lurk or post here.
If a site like HT can inspire some titles to finally be released, imagine what a site with the magnitude of Facebook could do.
This could make it easier for the powers that be to be coaxed into a more favorable decision, as it would unofficially lay out the potential profits in black and white for them, without removing one penny out of their research pocket, we’d do it for them…sort of a world-wide poll.

Oh well…maybe the upcoming Ozzie and Harriet restoration project will help open a door, and show that a restoration of any magnitude, even on much older, forgotten titles, could be a win-win for all involved.

Whatever the case, thanks for listening reading this.

Last edited:

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
Don't know what to say, but I hope the DVD/Blue Ray/4K industry comes back, along with more unreleased tv shows. But it'll still be awhile before some studios get back on their feet, from the pandemic and now the Ukraine. Hope everyone has some ideas.

--jthree

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
The only method that would work would be to magically convince hundreds of thousands of people to begin purchasing discs again.

Only way this can happen is to make streaming/vod illegal by federal law, with an absolute death penalty for ANY infractions which is strictly enforced.

:)

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
Only way this can happen is to make streaming/vod illegal by federal law, with an absolute death penalty for ANY infractions which is strictly enforced.

:)
I like the way you think. After all, prohibition was a good law that just wasn't enforced properly. We need to get back to the basics.

==jthree

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
The only method that would work would be to magically convince hundreds of thousands of people to begin purchasing discs again.
Happy Will Ferrell GIF

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
My wife is my age (54.5). Even she prefers to stream and wonders why I find it necessary to continue to buy physical media of old TV shows.

"Isn't everything on the Roku?"

So if I can't convince a person who grew up during the whole home video revolution that physical media is necessary, you're not gonna convince the younger generation to buy DVDs of Naked City or Life of Riley.

TBH, we're lucky we're still getting hardcopy at all now.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
My wife is my age (54.5). Even she prefers to stream and wonders why I find it necessary to continue to buy physical media of old TV shows.

"Isn't everything on the Roku?"

So if I can't convince a person who grew up during the whole home video revolution that physical media is necessary, you're not gonna convince the younger generation to buy DVDs of Naked City or Life of Riley.

TBH, we're lucky we're still getting hardcopy at all now.
I feel your pain, but unless younger viewers are into nostalgia, they have no real connection to Life of Riley, Care 54, You Bet Your Life or the Naked City that we grew up on, back in the days of the rabbit ears. You can assure your wif that NO, not Everything is on Roku...LOL!!
tuning youtube GIF by Feliks Tomasz Konczakowski

Desslar

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
Hasbro has developed one possible solution to this problem. If there are any collectors of Star Wars/Marvel/Transformers/GI Joe toys out there, you are probably familiar with the Hasbro's HasLab crowdfunding model, which is similar to Kickstarter. They announce some new (but retro) toy that appeals to diehard collectors but has limited mass market appeal, set a price (usually high due to the limited demand), and set a funding goal based on the number of orders. If the total number of orders received by a certain date exceeds the goal, they produce the toy. If it exceeds the total by a lot, they throw in some extras for the backers. If it doesn't reach the funding goal, they refund everyone's money.

So the studios could set up a similar system for Blu rays/DVDs. Granted, this model works best if you have really diehard fans, and if the product is something that has never or barely ever been available before. Not sure how many previously unavailable movie/TV titles would be popular enough to draw enough support. I guess that's where HTF comes in to generate hype.

YANG

Screenwriter
we're so... fed with desire for higher visual and audio experience today thru public broadcasts as well as subscriptions based service providers that make us hungry for more from the 4.75inch plastic optical discs that comes in different data storable size and layers.

any new development to enable visual and audio data to be compressed for delivery to end user and then uncompressed thru hardware for end user consumption tends to be sold to streaming service providers use rather than consumer use. here for example, most TVs sold in the market can do time shift recordings of open broadcasts, but not streaming contents due to copyrights. any recordings of open broadcasts is locked to that specific recording device and not replayable to other device due to DRC-digital recording control.

one of the solution to get DVD vibrant again, shall be how to enhance audio visual experience thru upscaling and new codecs such that the end replay device could deliver uncompressed content to final consumer... not forgetting backward compatibility with old releases.

instead of region coding control, go region free like UHD discs.
instead of the usual 480/576 resolution to determine NTSC/PAL discs, upscale and standardize to 720 and let user to decide by themselves to go interlace/progressive scan output for their preferred visual experience.

picture if a single layer 4.7GB comes with a movie that could run more than 2.5hrs with 720p/i presentation along with the good old audio codec, let ur device to do the end-upscaling to bring the whole experience to acceptable standard depending on how one pays for the format and codec? 720SHD DVD, 1080FHD BD, 2160UHD BD... would that make DVD format not so forgettable?

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
one of the solution to get DVD vibrant again, shall be how to enhance audio visual experience thru upscaling and new codecs such that the end replay device could deliver uncompressed content to final consumer... not forgetting backward compatibility with old releases.

In practice, sophisticated upscaling of SD/dvd ntsc or pal resolution sources is largely an exercise in futility. Unfortunately it will never be as good as native HD/bluray or UHD/4Kbluray sources.

There already exist very sophisticated upscalers, such as the madVR renderer used with the media player classic mpc player. The developers behind madVR are exploiting every single feature on current cutting edge graphics cards which the hardcore videogamers (and cryptominers) are using.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
instead of region coding control, go region free like UHD discs.
instead of the usual 480/576 resolution to determine NTSC/PAL discs, upscale and standardize to 720 and let user to decide by themselves to go interlace/progressive scan output for their preferred visual experience.

Region coding on dvds was already defeated back in late 1999, when the dvd css drm encryption algorithm was entirely cracked.

Desslar

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
Here's a dumb technical question - if a show is already offered as an HD digital download on a service like iTunes, how much work is needed to convert it to a Blu ray? Ideally all titles could be made available as digital downloads, with the option to click a button to order a made on demand disc. Don't need any fancy packaging.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Here's a dumb technical question - if a show is already offered as an HD digital download on a service like iTunes, how much work is needed to convert it to a Blu ray? Ideally all titles could be made available as digital downloads, with the option to click a button to order a made on demand disc. Don't need any fancy packaging.

(This is purely speculation).

Nowadays a burn-on-demand system is likely dependent on the effective "lifetime" of dvdr/blurayr drives, and how many discs per cake spindle turn out to be botched "coasters" (either doa straight out of the package or after burning).

Unfortunately there are no decent blank discs manufacturers anymore. Back in 2016 or so, the best manufacturer of blank optical discs Taiyo Yuden (JVC) was sold to the worst blank disc manufacturer CMC Magnetics. So what has been marketed as "Taiyo Yuden" over the past 5+ years or so, is basically CMC manufactured junk.

In regard to dvd-r/bluray-r drives, unfortunately they don't make them like they use to. Too many recent/current drives manufactured by LG, Pioneer, and LiteOn have very short "lifetimes" when it comes to burning dvd-r/bluray-r discs.

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Unfortunately there are no decent blank discs manufacturers anymore. Back in 2016 or so, the best manufacturer of blank optical discs Taiyo Yuden (JVC) was sold to the worst blank disc manufacturer CMC Magnetics. So what has been marketed as "Taiyo Yuden" over the past 5+ years or so, is basically CMC manufactured junk.

In regard to dvd-r/bluray-r drives, unfortunately they don't make them like they use to. Too many recent/current drives manufactured by LG, Pioneer, and LiteOn have very short "lifetimes" when it comes to burning dvd-r/bluray-r discs.
This is depressing. I am finally getting my whole system back up and running and nothing is the same as when I first bought my gear. I'm extremely disappointed to hear about Taiyo Yuden. I used to get them in bulk and they were extremely reliable.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks