What's new

_Invaders From Mars_: better version of a guilty pleasure? (1 Viewer)

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
I really very much enjoy the low budget Sci-Fi films made during the 1950's & 1960's. One of those guilty pleasures is 1953's "Invaders From Mars". The DVD that I own has a rather poor transfer. Is there a better LD or VHS version available out there in Videoland. If not, then here is wishing that it is restored in the reasonably near future (Pre-Star Wars 4-6). :alien:

Gary Kellerman

Stunt Coordinator
I do not have any info on whether this film could be restored. Despite a few shortcomings that some sci-fiers have noted in this film, what makes this film great is the mood in direction, storyline, the acting of the whole cast, and the simple but frightening sets inside the martian spacecraft, particulaly the representation of "mankind" in the bowl controlling the mutants and the haunting musical score by the late Raoul Kruschaar. Forget the remake of this film; it is awful. This is 50s sci-fi at its finest.

Joseph Goodman

Stunt Coordinator
This film could be restored; black & white seperation positives of it are at the UCLA Film & Television archive. It's just a matter of someone willing to spend the money for a restoration.

Randy_M

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Randy
This should not be a guilty pleasure...IMO super quality script and eerie atmosphere.

With all its shortcomings, I'm glad to own the DVD...don't know about other versions....

Cheers

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
It's just a matter of someone willing to spend the money for a restoration
It may be wishful thinking hoping that there is some lover of low budget 1950's movies willing to part with a large chunk of $$$$$
to restore this film. But it is nice to know that it is possible, considering how many other films don't have that option possible. Thanks for the info Mr Goodman.

Bob_L

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bob Lindstrom
Not only is this a much admired cult film, it is also one of only a handful of films DIRECTED by the brilliant art director William Cameron Menzies, which accounts for the film's stunning visuals.

It would be WONDERFUL if someone (Criterion?) would take up the cause of this film and support a restoration.

Ryan Potts

Stunt Coordinator
No kidding. I'd love to have this movie looking better than it does. Of course, until then, I'll just keep popping in the current disc.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
This is 50s sci-fi at its finest.
Ahem ... The Day the Earth Stood Still, Forbidden Planet, The Thing, etc. :)
I don't even think a restoration is even possible for Invaders. Aren't the elements long gone? I've never seen this cult classic looking good. It would be nice to have, though.
Is the current version still in print?

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
Mr Briggs, a Mr Goodman who replied above says that there are black & white separation positives of it are at the UCLA Film & Television archive. Assuming this is true would not a restoration be possible?

Rex Bachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rex Bachmann
Jack Briggs wrote:

I always thought the problem with bringing this film to quality homevideo was a "rights" issue. I was under the impression that the rightsholder was either totally indifferent or demanding some outrageous amount of licensing fee.

Does anyone have reliable (verifiable???) information on that aspect?

Gary Kellerman

Stunt Coordinator
Tony; I read most of the two part discussion on the film. You would think somebody was writing a thesis for this movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks