What's new

2007 MLB Playoffs (Predictions and Discussion) (1 Viewer)

Chris

Senior HTF Member
The plague definitely kept the hitting down. There was an article a few years ago, I will have to look it up, about hitters in Omaha getting confused and they had something like a 13 inning game going 1-1 before it ended.

A game like that is pretty fluky. But the first game, the game they got blown out.. was just dominance. They owned Yankee pitching. They took the bat out of A-Rod's hand with well timed walks. They made the best out of solid defensive stands. I can easily see the Yankees getting swept.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Cubbies are toast. Yeah, it's not over, but 4-1 in the sixth.. they need a big rally to avoid being swept.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Congrats to the Rockies on their first-ever postseason series win and first appearance in the NLCS. Denver's been waiting a long time for this.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
yeah a long time.
how many seasons has colorado been in the league.

cubs fans have been waiting a long time.
context.

the phils went out like lambs.
meager, weak.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
The Rockies joined the league in 1993, along with the Marlins. I remember, because that was the last time the Phillies made it to the World Series, and the last season without the Wild Card.

When the Cubs loaded up the bases with one out, and the hitter hits a 3-1 pitch into inning-ending double play, I knew the Cubs were going to get swept.

Either the Phillies didn't bother showing up and/or the Rockies are still on fire. I don't know how TBS feels about the NLCS, but I'm guessing they aren't too happy.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
I think it's somewhat great for baseball because it shows that smaller $$ clubs can win and revenue sharing works.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
Well as a Cubs fan I'm of course disappointed in the out come of the series.

Over all the Cubs did improve over last year and hopefully they can build from here and improve again next year.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.

i bit of both.
the rockies are smoking and the phils just were tight.
this is the first time most of the rocky players are in the post season too, but they were still able to hit and score runs.

phils just couldnt handle the playoff pressure i gues.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
No truer words have been posted. They are simply on fire. I could realistically see them streaking right into the World Series.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
I couldn't believe this was Manny's first Red Sox walk-off, although I guess hitting behind Ortiz sort of robs him of the chance.

As to the posing thing... I can't blame him, especially on that one. He annihilated that ball, it was a big deal, and as he said in that awesome press conference, "best feeling in the world".

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
So, it's looking like the Angels will score in one out of 27 innings; two if Gagne does as Gagne has done through much of his time with Boston. Ouch.

I have to admit, I felt really good when I heard the quote from the Angels manager about "scoring by making outs". It's generally a more aesthetically pleasing, exciting way of playing ball, but "scoring by getting a bunch of extra-base hits in a row" seems like it's more likely to win ballgames.

Ray Chuang

Screenwriter
The Angels could have been competitive against the Red Sox if they had an healthy team. As such, they looked like the ward of a MASH unit and that made it nearly impossible to compete against the Red Sox's big-hitting lineup.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

I'll certainly agree the Angels were on fumes...but I can't take anything away from the Sox' effort and play. They are firing on all cylinders right now. And that's with Varitek looking completely lost at the plate. Maybe he should just hit from the right side until he can get himself straightened out.

It's really too bad the Angels hit the wall right in October. I couldn't believe the night Garrett Anderson had in Game #2 with that eye swollen shut.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Can I nominate Kenny Lofton to be the new "Yankee Killer?" :D

The guy is 40 but is playing like he's 20! Think he's got something he wants to prove to somebody?

Joe Fisher

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joseph E Fisher

Atleast I got the Indians victory right. Pretty much crapped my pants on the others.

Here are my revised predictions now.......gauranteed to be wrong again.

ALCS: Red Sox over Indians in 6

NLCS: D'Backs over Rockies in 7

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I go for indians now.
When was the last time cleveland
won anything

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I'm with you, Joe. I did lousy. I think most people probably screwed up the NLDSs.

I will now revise to the Sox over the Rockies. :D

LewB

Screenwriter
Out-pitched again :angry:
Oh well, let's go Tribe. Time to cue up 'Major League' in the DVD.
NY papers already talking about LaRussa as the new Yankee Manager.
I understand why the Boss may/will can Torre, but I also see how the Yankees are still lacking in pitching. That's how we wound up as the wildcard, April and May were a total mess as far as pitching was concerned. There is no #1 flame thrower, Cleveland has 2. In a 5 game series, that's deadly.
Hopefully Joba and Huges and Kennedy will be the flame throwers that are required to get back to the World Series. Wang is still a 'touch' pitcher, if the sinker ain't sinkin, he's sunk. David Cone and El Duque types are few and far between. They could get by without their best pitch, they could make it up as they went along as could Mussina in days past.
Note to Tony Gwynn: Call Jenny NOW :eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks