What's new

2007 MLB Playoffs (Predictions and Discussion) (1 Viewer)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

:laugh: You know the guy was always predisposed towards being heavy (even as a player)...but it is something to think this is a guy who batted .394 in '94 and .338 lifetime. I haven't heard of any health issues involving Gwynn and his weight.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Best choices for Yankees manager:

1.) Torre
2.) Girardi
3.)
4.)
5.)
6.)
7.)
8.)
9.)
10.) LaRussa
20.) Mattingly

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Anyone hear about that "Frank TV" show TBS is premiering next month? They really should start promoting that a little. ;)

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
It does one miss the promos for Skin ("HIS FATHER IS THE DISTRICT ATTORNEY!!!") and House ("YOU'RE RISKING A PATIENT'S LIFE!!!"), doesn't it?

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
I got the teams right in the AL, but way off in the NL.

Indians over Red Sox in 6

Diamondbacks over Rockies in 7 (Home team will win every game in this series)

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
I'm leaning towards the Rockies in the NL. They are smoking hot, took four out of the last six from Arizona and also took the season series.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Mattingly would be a much better choice than LaRussa. LaRussa is not a good fit for the Yankees or even NYC for that matter. He would be miserable with his daily interactions with the New York media.

ZacharyTait

Senior HTF Member

Quoting myself to show everyone how wrong I ended up being in 3 of the 4 LDS series.

Up-to-date predictions:

Championship Series
Indians over Red Sox in 7
Rockies over Diamondbacks in 6

World Series
Indians over Rockies in 6

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Red Sox over Indians in 6
Rockies over Diamondbacks in 5 (!!)

Rockies over Red Socks in 6 in a Stunner!

:)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

I certainly agree that I don't think LaRussa would be a great fit, Robert. That's why I left so many blanks for the nameless others who might be given consideration.

I guess I placed him ahead of Mattingly only because of Mattingly's complete inexperience with the job...let alone holding that job in NY. I don't think a year's experience as "bench" coach coupled with some time as hitting coach qualify you to lead a team. While both he & Girardi have unquestionable Yankee credentials, Girardi did a credible (if not arguably fine) job with the Marlins. His talents are being wasted on the YES network.

I suppose Mattingly could surprise (as did Torre) with success on the job.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Oh and what a Yankee choke job... Jeter 3 for 17. I mean, Arod at least collected walks and an HR out of the series..

Really though it wasn't the hitting that really sank the Yankees.. but the terrible pitching sure did.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
I think Jeter actually made 18 out in 17 plate appearances once you factor double plays in. And sucked worse than usual on defense. He had, like, negative value.

I'm sure the press will lay the blame at Rodriguez's feet. I really hope it leads to him heading out west and holding a press conference in which he rips everybody who made his time in New York a headache by name, from Jeter to the guy who puts together the Post's back page layouts. That would be awesome.

Chris

Senior HTF Member

I will say this now: one of the most selfish player moves I've ever seen was Jeter refusing to relinquish SS to ARod and move ARod to 3rd. And the fact that Arod did it, despite no experience in it, was a really big move for someone like him.

Arod as a SS was one of the most dynamic, incredible defensive players I have ever watched in person. I watched A-Rod play short several times, and I've seen Jeter play it several times here at the K. If you really had to take one over the other, I have no doubt in my mind I'd take A-Rod at short every single time. Not just some of the time, every single time.

If you're A-Rod, part of why you want to go somewhere isn't just to get out of NY, but also to get back to the position you were dominant in.. and he's not going to get there on the Yankees.

Problem is, the teams that I see as a real fit for A-Rod are teams I don't know if they can make a play at him... (like Detroit & Chicago Cubbies).

But there is no way I see him as a Yankee next year. You're right, all I heard today out of baseball radio/WFAN etc. was how A-Rod chokes again. I can't figure that out.. 3 intentional walks, 1 HR, 4 Hits.. yeah, you'd like better in his number of AB, but looking around him.. that 1HR carried only 1RBI because no one else on his team was doing anything. And if you're getting intentionally walked, that's it. The fact that he got stranded all those times is the fault of other teammates not hitting.. hell, the fact that they had no problem walking him was because no one else did anything.

If I were aRod, I'd want out. I think the Yankees are going to have a rough road for the next few years. A lot of their talent is older and showing. It's hard to cough up $20M for a one year pitcher with a 14+ post season ERA, and you're up and coming picture with a 18+ ERA.

ARod probably has a better chance of a title elsewhere, honestly.. the Yanks really didn't belong in post season. Their performance in the first two months of the year was attrociously bad. And if it hadn't been for ARod having a freak of a season and carrying them pretty well single handed early, like I said: take away his walk-off homers and game winning RBIs, and they'd be - double digits in the wins column (I have it exactly tallied somewhere, and posted it in the other thread).

Now I'm just waiting for them to sack Torre and discover that really wasn't their problem.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
I know the Dodgers have a desperate need for a power hitting 3rd baseman. I don't know if they will make a play at him but it's plausible. I know he wants to play SS so even that's plausible as Furcal only has 1 year left on his contract. I'd rather the Dodgers resign Furcal for a longer deal because he has been absolute money for them since he signed.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Huh? At least at the plate, Furcal isn't very good, with 2007 particularly disappointing (77 OPS+!). He does look well-above average in the field, but if you can sign Rodriguez, you do it and then consider whatever you get in trade for Furcal a bonus.

Ideally, you put him at third and cut Garciaparra (as much as it kills me to say that). But if A-Rod is only willing to play short, I don't see letting Rafael Furcal stand in your way of that.

Kirk Tsai

Screenwriter
Do we actually know if A-Rod still wants to play shortstop?

Nomar is pretty much done. A terrible 07 season. His 06 season looks decent, but that's because he was unbelievably hot for the first couple of months. He struggled badly once the summer game along. Andy LaRouche is one of the top prospects in the Dodger system. He played a little bit during the season, but didn't have much success. His track record in the minors is more impressive than Matt Kemp and James Loney, both of whom were fantastic this year.

When I was in the Bay Area, sports talk radio wouldn't stop dreaming about A-Rod playing for the Giants. They really need help offensively too, and they won't have a "face" for the franchise now that Barry will be leaving. The Angels also badly need some power, as evidenced in the divisional playoff series.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks