What's new

2007 MLB Playoffs (Predictions and Discussion) (1 Viewer)

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
It was Fox, which didn't want the potential 6th and 7th games of the World Series to take place on Saturday and Sunday, so they pushed everything back a couple days. The Division Series was the logical one to stretch out, since every year there are complaints about two games being played at the same time or an east coast team with a 10:35 start.

Anyway, at least it's finally time for things to get rolling. As a Sox fan, I'm feeling pretty confident about this series - the Angels' style of play involves lots of balls in play, and Boston's defense is solid. I don't think Anaheim is going to be able to string together enough hits to win more than one game.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
The Angels/Red Sox series is like that because of the Red sox having the best record. It's a new rule this year IIRC.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Ah, I'd forgotten how much the Sox own Lackey, relative to the rest of the league, even though I was at the game he pitched at Fenway in August.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Beckett pitched a hell of a game there. I didn't realize post-season games could move that quickly.

I'm tempted to upgrade my prediction to "sweep".

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Yeah. Lackey has definite problems against the Sox...especially at Fenway.

But did anyone notice that Beckett pitched well? :D

I bet there's a little more offense in Friday's game.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Rockies made a nice statement today. Holliday smacked a HR to lead them to a victory and their pitching is surprisingly good.

I was not surprised at Beckett. I'm still not close to being convinced the Sox will have an easy time and sweep the Angels.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
I don't know about an easy time, but the Angels' style of play - hack away for singles and run - is a pretty poor match for Boston's top three. Beckett and Schilling just don't walk people, and they've got very solid defense. Since the Angels don't hit a lot of home runs, they're going to need to string several hits together, and that's not going to happen enough barring a Matsuzaka Meltdown inning or two on Friday.

If Wakefield and/or Lester were starting in this series, it would be different - you can run at will on Wake and Lester's game plan seems to be "nibble at the strike zone until you have to throw something down the middle, put many people on base, and hope for a double play" (God, I hate watching Lester pitch) - but that's not happening.

Ray Chuang

Screenwriter
I think the Angels are going to have problems beating the Red Sox because the Angels right now have plenty of serious injury problems. Also, the Angels' "small ball" philosophy doesn't work well at Fenway Park, either.

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
Piniella was second-guessed for taking Zambrano out after six innings in a tie game, but Marmol has been a stud all year. If Zambrano had been rocked in the 7th (and his pitch count was getting up there) everyone would have asked where Marmol was. Plus, they want to bring Zambrano back for Game 4, which would be hard if he had pitched 120 pitches yesterday.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
The Phillies could be looking at a sweep if the middle of their lineup doesn't step up to the plate (no pun intended).

Not going to win with Chase Utley and Ryan Howard collectively striking out 7 times. I think Utley struck out 3 times on 9 pitches.

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I do not understand Lou's decision at all. Z had thrown only 85 pitches (his second lowest pitch count of the season) in 6 innings. He could have easily pitched the 7th and stayed below 100 pitches.

The biggest problem I have with it (and I'm not a Cub fan, but from a strategy standpoint) is that Lou is saving him for game 4. But this is a best-of-5 series, there may not be a game 4. That's what really makes me question the decision.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

Agree with all. I don't know who drove me more crazy, 2007 Lester or 2004 Lowe. DLowe was crazy as a shithouse rat and he drove me nuts watching him - Right up until he won every series clinching playoff game. :)

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
Why did Charlie Manuel take out Kyle Kendrick in the 4th inning? I thought it was a bit premature, and it came to bite him in ass with Kaz Matsui hitting that grand slam.

The Phillies are looking at getting swept. At least it won't happen at home. With Jamie Moyer starting Game 3, and the next 2 at Coors Field, I just don't see the Phillies winning any of those games.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i didnt know they kept mesa on the roster.

why why why.

condrey i'm fine with but sheesh geary has to be a better choice.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I love when Manny hits walk-off homeruns. :)

I hate when Manny poses at home plate. :frowning:

==============================

Four division series...all four at 2-0 after two games. Surprising.

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
If you look up at the sky tomorrow night... You might still catch a glimpse of Manny's comet :D

It's also so much nicer to be able to archive the Sox playoff games in real HD and not Faux HD.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks