What's new

Zone 2 connections: am I missing something very, very basic?? (1 Viewer)

Laminarman

Auditioning
Real Name
Andy
Well, I'm new here, but not completely a newbie to HT. Sorry for the dumb post here!

I built a house recently and have distributed wiring for audio in several rooms, and each room has it's own in wall volume control. I am in between components now and have Tannoy speakers in 5.1 in my main room and am using a stop gap Yamaha HT receiver for movies for my kids until my new Rotel preamp/processor gets here in about a week (for use with my Cinema Grand amp). But in addition to movies, at times I'd like to simply output Christmas music to the rooms with "zone 2" of the receiver. Problem is, there's a white and red RCA jack output, but I have a + and - L and R jack in the wall. How do I output stereo zone 2 music with this? Prior to this I just patched main speaker cables to the rooms, but now with my New 50" Samsung plasma I want to watch movies, and when that's over play music while cooking..etc. Sorry for the bother but I can't seem to find out what the heck is going on, it looks like it only outputs in mono?

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
What's the model number of the Yamaha. If it's an older model, it may need a seperate amplifier to power a second zone which would be hooked up to the red and white rca jacks.

Laminarman

Auditioning
Real Name
Andy
Aaaaaaah....sound of light bulb going on. I see. The manual says nothing about another amplifier. I think it get it. Thank you!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.