What's new

Your ONE Most Favorite Film of All Time? (1 Viewer)

huber13

Grip
Real Name
Mike Huber
Favorite Movie is "Saving Private Ryan" it is or is coming out in Blu-Ray. Everything about this movie is spectacular, the opening alone really makes you feel like your on the beach getting shot at or getting blown up. Absolutely terrorifing, what those people went through so we could watch movies like this and do what we are doing.

Favorite Blu-Ray any category "Return To Forever" I could watch this a couple times a week.

Scott McGillivray

Supporting Actor
Very tough question. Oddly enough, a friend of mine cornered me into providing an answer. Typically I would list films in categories, such as my favorite comedy, sci-fi, classic..etc. But if I had to pick what one movie I think is just a perfect movie, I would have to go with:

[SIZE= 16px]Schindler's List[/SIZE]

Everything about that movie is amazing. Characters, acting, cinemetography, music, depth, drama, even some comedy (yes, there are a few very funny moments in this!) Not a movie I can watch over and over, it is just too powerful, but one that would say that everyone should see at least once.

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
"Blood Simple"

Mostly because it will give me another chance to mention that the Coen Brother's first film is not available on home video.

[Don't bother responding to this obvious trolling, it will only drive me to describe those who disagree as ignorant Philistines.]

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I would be very happy if the theatrical Simple made it's way to my home.

nikkib

Auditioning
Real Name
Jeanette
Kinda off the beaten path here but one of my couple of favorites of all time (not that there aren't greats above this one) is Far and Away. A later one would have to be Gran Torino.

Robert DH

Auditioning
First off, let it be said that I have no taste. I would rather watch Plan 9 six or seven times than "The Godfather" once. Let it also be said that I care nothing whatsoever about the politics of the people on screen. They do their job, just like UPS, and I don't care about the UPS man's politics either.

The weird thing about my answer is that I have never actually seen my favorite Really Bad Movie in its entirety. The original, full-length, uncensored, 104-minute version of "Barbarella" has *never* been released on any form of home video... just a 98-minute version, wrongly framed and drastically faded. That sad sick-yellowish carpet in her spaceship was russet brown! This version has been given the subtitle, "Queen of the Galaxy", despite the fact that it has nothing to do with the movie. Presumably it makes it legally distinguishable from the real version with the extra six minutes of footage. All I know about that is that (gasp! egad! I hope you are sitting down!) at one point the Black Queen is shown kissing Barbarella. Kinda shocking, in 1968, I guess, which is why (from what I hear) the uncensored version was shown in England but not here in the USA.

1968 was a while back... it's time to grow up. DDL/Paramount, bring on the real, restored movie!!!

rich_d

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich
CHINATOWN

I'm not saying this is the best film, I'm saying it's my favorite film. I'm a sucker for a period film, first off but story, cast, direction, score this film has it all.

I'm also a sucker for film noir and this is film noir at its finest. Beyond that, it's a bit like Vertigo as it is somewhat dream-like in the nightmare aspect of man's weakness bringing about the downfall of himself and others (no pun intended). Didn't Scottie's weaknesses lead to the fall of the cop and his lover? Similarly, Jake Gittes' weakness leads to two tragedies in Chinatown. The story is amazing in how well crafted it is. The nightmare is laid out quite early in the film when Hollis Mulwray explains at city hall, "I'm not going to make the same mistake twice." The lesson that Jake does not learn. Consider also how well the premise for the historical growth of L.A. becomes a core element to the story. Jake thinks he is smart and clever. He sits listening to the men explain how L.A. is a desert community but it doesn't truly register until Noah Cross explains it to him saying something like 'you can bring the water to L.A. or you can bring L.A. to the water. At that point and only at that point does Jake truly realize that he's out of his league. I could go on talking about the film for days but that's the core of it (pun intended).

jscotto

Auditioning
Real Name
Scott Osborne
I just love The Untouchables. Not sure how many times I've seen it and when ever I flip thru the channels and it is on, I end up watching the rest of it.

Disclaimer: I made my choice sans Disney Animated Features.

CharlieM

Auditioning
Real Name
Charles
I would have to say 2001: A Space Odyssey

I had a friend who's father worked in the film industry, and he got tickets to see a private screening in NYC almost a year before it came out in the theaters.

The 3 of us went, and I was blown away at how real everything looked!

It was truly ahead of it's time, and led the way for space/sci-fi movies in the future!

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
My pick is To Kill a Mockingbird. It's one of the best screen adaptions of a novel, ever. The novel also happens to be my number one also. I love them both not only for the courage and personal integrity displayed, but also because of how honestly childhood is portrayed. From the opening credits with the little hand taking things out of the cigar box to the final scene with Atticus sitting besides Jem's bed, it is always spot on.

The music is absolutely just right for the film.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
To Kill a Mockingbird is a terrific movie with one of the great scores of all time. Its only flaw is the way it lurches abruptly from Tom Robinson's trial back Scout's storyline. The trial is at the heart of the movie, and the source of its visceral power, so everything that follows with Boo Radley (while well done, with a haunting early performance from Robert Duvall) feels anticlimactic. That may be inevitable, since the character and voice of Scout's narration is at the forefront and eases the transition for the novel, but it's always stood out for me. I had the privilege of seeing it projected onto the big screen in the last and greatest of Albany's old movie palaces earlier this year and it was one of the greatest movie-going experiences of my life.

mike caronia

Second Unit
I'm a li'l bit pissed off no one's mentiond GOODFELLAS. Li'l bit.

Poor Marty robbed by the academy that year, and now no one mentions his finest 2 1/2 hours of film.

For shame!! ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks