What's new

Your ONE Most Favorite Film of All Time? (1 Viewer)

Jefferson Morris

Supporting Actor
The Fellowship of the Ring.

Anticipated it more than just about any film ever released, being a fan of both Tolkien and Peter Jackson (Heavenly Creatures is probably in my top five). I never thought it could live up to my expectations. And then, in a feat I can only describe as a miracle, it exceeded them.

It's so great, even the rest of the trilogy can't compete with it, although the last half of ROTK comes damn close.

I rarely watch it, in part because of its length, but also because I don't want to dilute its impact too much. In fact, I haven't watched the DVDs in years, as I've been waiting (and waiting and waiting and waiting) for the blu-ray. That false-start release that was rumored for last November was a real heartbreaker. I'm thrilled to death it's finally been announced for real. April can't get here soon enough.

--Jefferson Morris

P.S. My previous number one was Gilliam's The Adventures of Baron Munchausen. I guess you could say I have a weakness for fantasy.

Rick Deschaine

Stunt Coordinator
As someone said earlier, a near impossible question to answer.

Having said that after much thought, I would have to say..." Dr. Strangelove: Or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb."

Easily one of the best comedies ever made and feature's stellar performances by Peter Sellers. Not to mention it's a Stanley Kubrick film. Not his best movie, but easily my favorite.

Tarkin The Ewok

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brandon
A lot of the choices I see are on my list of five-star movies. Of the movies mentioned so far, Ben-Hur is the highest on my personal list.

My favorite movie of all time (at least for today) is The Sound of Music. It is the ultimate in heartwarming films, and I fall in love with Maria and the von Trapps each time I watch it. Of course, the Rodgers and Hammerstein songs contribute greatly to its lasting appeal.

DaveB

Stunt Coordinator
My favorite film of all time is still in its initial theatrical run! AVATAR was absolute magic for me and has supplanted Star Wars and Raiders of the Lost Ark as my most beloved theatrical experience in 33 years.

I also dearly love many of the films listed by others in this thread.

MielR

Advanced Member
Real Name
MielR
The Empire Strikes Back, for me as well. I first saw it in 1982 when they re-released both Star Wars and Empire theatrically (I saw SW for the first time that year as well), building up to the Return of the Jedi release in '83. I guess I loved the darkness of Empire, the ending, etc. Darth Vader was so scary and menacing in that film, especially to an 11-year old like me.

I was glad to have a chance to see it theatrically for a 2nd time in '97, although I didn't care at all for the Special Ed. alterations.

I also remember being totally blown away by Raiders of the Lost Ark. Going in, I knew nothing more about it than "that guy from Star Wars" is in it, and it might be about Noah's Ark. LOL. Those were the days.

Raymond_H

Stunt Coordinator
The Princess Bride/ The Empire Strikes Back - Tie because I can

Admittedly not the best movies but personally my favorites.

Real Name
Tiffany
I'm surprised no one mentioned "Fight Club". Great blend of action and social commentary. Still my favorite after all these years.

JoshB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joshua Bal
North by Northwest...modern action films have nothing on the Hitchcock classic which looks and sounds better than ever on BD. :)

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
Raiders of the Lost Ark. I saw it at a sneak preview 2 months before it opened. I had no idea what I was about to see.

Closely followed by The Big Sleep (1946)

Doug

mmcew

Auditioning
Real Name
matt willis
Do I have to choose just one???

I mean there are a few that have a profound effect on me at the time I first saw them. The Secret of Nimh, The Labyrinth, Back to the Future Trilogy, Henry V, Brave Heart, Gladiator, Dark Knight. But if I had to narrow down to just one, well a trilogy, The Lord of the Rings. I'm sure I'll be adding the fourth #1 when The Hobbit comes out.

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
I would suppose it turns into a "why?"

Princess Bride as a favorite comedy, as opposed to, say, Blade Runner for favorite cinematography, or Pricillia, Queen of the Desert for favorite costuming?

Or even, say, the Rank & Bass Hobbit for favorite film when I was in elementary school, versus, say, Ladyhawke for favorite film when I was in middle school, to... high school, college, and so on?

But sadly, I fear this thread is "one most favorite film of all time."

Which is actually a really tough question.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gigaspin88
Recent bookmarks