What's new

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
No excuses.

Somehow, I seem to have missed reviewing one of my favorite films of 2020. A film fittingly released on Christmas Day.

Now, more than two and a half years later, Universal has given, in my estimation, a huge home video upgrade.

And while the new variant is released in 4k UHD, that's not the upgrade to which I refer.

Emerald Fennell's Promising Young Woman, with Carey Mulligan in the lead, was shot with an Arri Alexa Mini, and Panavision anamorphic primes at 2.8k, and finished in 2k. You can see this in the bokeh.

From my comparison, a bit more resolution has been eked out (tech term), and HDR has massaged the black levels and colors, but that's not the major upgrade.

Ms. Fennell appears to truly understand cinema, and all of its moving parts, and the sound mix, an extraordinarily important part of Promising Young Women, becomes an even more visceral experience that it is.

That upgrade - listen to it with your main channels turned off - changes this film measurably.

For the record, there was a first run of discs that somehow left Atmos off, but that has now been corrected and replacements shipped to those affected.

There are a more than a handful of discs that are truly uplifted by the inclusion of an Atmos mix, and most readers here who subscribe to the Dolby Atmos concept, can probably tick them off as a short list of the best.

I'm adding Promising Young Woman to that short list. And while I cannot suggest that readers go 4k because of this release, it is one more major reason why Dolby Atmos is a very worthwhile upgrade to one's home theater environment.

Image – 5 (HDR10)

Audio – 5 (Dolby Atmos)

Pass / Fail – Pass

Plays nicely with projectors - Yes

Makes use of and works well in 4k - 7

Upgrade from Blu-ray - Yes, for the Atmos alone!

Worth your attention - 9

Slipcover rating - n/a

Very Highly Recommended

RAH

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
It's a special film. Talk about pitch black comedy.

• Agreed
Reactions: PMF

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks